Splash cymbals...how critical are they?

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think I brought one to a gig 3 years ago when I knew I would play a solo on a samba.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
AS Joe Walsh Once said awoken from a Stupor

"Ya Dig?"

splash 005.JPG
splash 006.JPG
splash 007.JPG

splash 005.JPG splash 006.JPG splash 007.JPG

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at that Bosphorous collection! Nice! Your all in, right down to the splash! :)
Yes on reverb I found my 20" traditional bosphorus china 1640g! as eerie as can be!and can sing blues changes!

The splash is an Istanbul...

party on Wayne

Bosphorus

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I have one, haven’t actually used it since I bought it. I don’t think I’ve used one in a live setting for over 10 years. Not crucial to me!

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My splash is my least used cymbal. But at the right moment in a song, it's really nice to have. All my cymbals are K's. At first, I had a 10" Zildjian "flash splash" A. It just never mixed well with the other cymbals. I sold it and bought a 10" K Custom Dark splash. It's perfect. I like having it, but like somebody else said above... I could definitely play a gig without it and not miss it all that much.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had at least one 8" splash on my kit ever since 1968, but lately I've found that the sound doesn't blend well with my other cymbals; it calls too much attention to itself and tends to sound a bit comical. So I stacked my 1974-vintage 6" on top of one of my 8s to make a low-volume splash stack. It's perfect for ultra-quick "white-noise" accents and goes by so fast it catches listeners unaware until it's gone. I use it way more than I ever used a splash by itself and it doesn't sound like comic relief.

Splash Stack.jpg

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I keep several 1930's and 1940's Zildjian A splashes around in the 8 to 12" sizes.....almost always paper thins. Nothing else made since quite duplicates that sound.

At times I'll move up to 13's, 14's, and even 15 paper thins that are essentially fast splash/crashes (ie 450 / 550 / 650 gms respectively).

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I confess that the one splash cymbal I owned I ended up turning upside down and using as an ashtray. It didn't work so great as an ashtray but that was the best use I could make of it.

I realize that great drummers have used and continue to use splash cymbals with good effect. I just couldn't figure out how it justified a stand for my not-so-great drumming.

markkarj

Reaction score
Do you spend a lot of time trying different brands, sizes, weights, etc? I mean, what do they do, and what difference does it make as long as they..well..just splash?
I can see where one might come in handy now and then, but as far as you're concerned..how critical are they?

I used to set up three of them, and I still do now and again. I because quite enamored with them after hearing Manu Katche on Robbie Robertson's solo debut, as well as Peter Gabriel's Secret World Live.

These days if I'm running larger cymbals, I'm inclined to have a 12" (an A Custom) or a 14" crash as a counterpoint to something like 20" and 22" crash-ride cymbals. Less so with 6" or 8" cymbals though.

D

deegeebee

Never really cared for them. Often find they sound out of place records, not always. Tend to slap the top of the crash with the shank of my stick if I want a quick percussive accent on a cymbal, or use the bell, or a bark on the hats. Lots of options without cluttering up the kit.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion over the years that the only people that care about splash cymbals are drummers, and not even all drummers, as we see with this thread. I think most other musicians view them as an annoyance that's tolerated. A few years ago I saw a 3 piece group that was doing an unplugged rockabilly kind of thing. The drummer brought a snare, bass and splash cymbal. No hi hat. I got tired of that splash really fast, and by the looks on their faces, so did the guitar and bass player. The last straw was the drummer trying to use the splash as a ride.
I do have a few splash cymbals, but I don't use them unless absolutely necessary.

cribbon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In the 70s and 80s I used a 7" Ictus Icebell. I resurrected it a few years ago because I "heard" a need for it (in my mind's ear) for one spot in a song that my band was playing - it can be a surprising or comic sound when used correctly. I don't mind carrying it when needed because I mount it on an old Ludwig 1400 cymbal stand near my floor tom.

2019-04-13-Alibis003.JPG

In the right spot, though, they can be extremely effective - my favorite example is how Phil Collins uses two of them at the end of the instrumental in Hold On My Heart (3:03-3:11). Not sure if they're acoustic or electronic samples, but they're absolutely beautiful and enhance the musical mood perfectly.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a selection of odd cymbals that I use as splashes these days.
None are name brand (so to speak) and my favorite is actually a paper-thin 14 top hihat cymbal from Stagg that weighs an astonishingly light 632g.
It makes for a phenomenal light textured statement ... especially when used between the beat.
The other splashes I own are also very light and soft to the touch and wear names like Agazarian and Wuhan and such.

I’ve owned a ton of them. My favorites back in the day were a Sabian Metal splash and an El Sabor splash. I like big splashes I guess.
I’ve given away a ton of them ... quite a few to members here. They work well and do their job, but I’m not playing Abbruzzese Pearl Jam tracks these days and really have no need for the loud cutting statement of a typically thicker splash.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think they're good for a fast accent here and there but over use can become grating. I have one that came with a meinl cymbal pack I bought a couple years ago and I use it sparingly when I play. It's not neccessary to me but it is nice to have once in a while.