splash question

drummerdude

RIP Bongo Congo, you are missed!
Reaction score
i have never used or played what i call exotic cymbals (splash, chinas), i have always only used crashes and rides.

i mainly play country and some rock, i want to get into classic/oldies rock. what benefits would splashes afford me? is there any older rock (50's-70's) that has these in them?

thanks

k.zildjian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Buddy R. used one a lot (6")

The Police (Stewart Copeland) used 2 Paiste ones.....Listen to "Wrapped around your finger".....

Many more examples..but I don't want to think right now.......

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
wghanson said:
If you like folk rock, check out Carter Beauford from DMB he used many different splash cyms in Ants Marching if I recall correctly.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KcyKtovJLeQ

By far, my favorite splash is the 10" A Custom, which Beauford does have (and should use a lot in that video). I also play similar styles to you and I would recommend the following:

10" A Custom
10" A
9" Oriental Trash Splash

Last edited by a moderator:

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use a K 10' in my conga bongo setup. I also have an 18" Wuhan chinese which I hardly ever use. Used to mount under my ride for swing stuff. Those Dream splashes are real nice. Good luck BennyK.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
dtk said:
Especially if your unsure of how/when your going to use it...don't get an A list splash...
Wuhan, Stagg, and Sabian Pro's are all decent...

a 12" splash might offer you some alternative crash voicings.

I wouldn't say "don't get an A list splash" but art is correct when referring to the other brands as well. I have a 10" Wuhan and it's extra trashy.

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
My 10" riveted Saluda HybridX splash and 12" HybridX inverted mini-china sound beautiful, and cost me about $20 - $25 each. I love them both and they're permanent fixtures in my setup!

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
Keep your eye on the stuff ufsports has up on eBay (a.k.a. Drum Gear Online); they always have a selection of new Saluda cymbals available, some are prototypes so you never know what you're gonna get, but Jamie is very helpful and will take the time to answer all of your questions in a timely manner...quite a change from a lot of eBay sellers, it seems.

Current items for sale:
http://search.ebay.c...QQsassZufsports

Store front:
http://stores.ebay.ca/DRUM-GEAR-0NLINE

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
BennyK said:
I use a K 10' in my conga bongo setup.
That big a cymbal has to take up a lot of stage space. Does it crash well? What kind of stand do you use for it?

More seriously, I've been using a 10" A splash for rock and jazz since 1977. Over the last decade I've added more, and am also carrying 6" A, 8" Paiste Dimensions, and 12" Oriental trash to gigs. I don't use them all at once, obviously, but it's nice to have a choice at times.

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
Since you say that you are new to splashes I'd check out Wuhan and the new Agazarian line from GC. They aren't expensive and some really nice ones can be found if you take the time to test them all.

I have a friend who is a Mackie rep and his only client is GC. He goes in and checks out the new Agazarians all the time. His test is to frisbee them slightly down to the floor and listens to the sound they make when they hit!!! I've never seen him actually do it but I know some drum guys at the GC's he calls on they verify his story. But for whatever reason, it seems to actually work ... he's found some really nice ones!!!

Robb

Latest posts