Spoken Word and Percussion

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
My cousin and I had been talking about a "Drum-n-Face" project for an eternity.
Poetry and Percussion
Couple of years ago, we managed to make the time, and get together for a few performances.

Cousin Bob on spoken word
Cousin Kip on percussion
Cousin Mary's written words
Cousin Jim on guitar

Was really one of the musical hightlights of my life, creating something family style.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
One of my first baby steps into being a full time drummer was playing bongos behind beatnik poets in a coffee house to earn free coffee and pastries. About 1959.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
I have dozen of home recordings of years of experimentation in spoken word with music.
Unfortunately we never ever went back to any to tighten up and make a good version, all experiments, most bad and some not too bad.
I'll try to put some on computer to share.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
When I was in the Congolese band and playing congas, I noticed when I was doing it right and the drums were responding well, the patterns I chose closely followed the melody lines of the song .

Talking drums . Singing drums . Call and response . Thousands of years in the making .

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had the pleasure of doing a couple of gigs with Phil Minton, and he has stayed at my house for a couple of daze.
I have audio recordings and no video...but here is a vid where....you'll get the idea....the wonderful Mr Han Bennink on drum.....
bt