Spotify vs. Amazon Music

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody has used Amazon music to listen to their Tunes. I'm sure there are some people out there that have and it'd be nice to hear about your thoughts on that service. I have had Spotify for a couple years now and I really like that but it does cost 10 bucks a month. I was thinking about getting Amazon Prime so I could have Amazon music along with some other benefits such as free shipping. But that I think cost $13 a month. Not too worried about $3 but would like to hear opinions on Amazon's music player. Thank you in advance!

Johnny K

Reaction score
I have Prime, for other reasons, and started using Prime Music awhle ago. The players is OK and I have the mobile app on my phone too. It's decent.

However they leave a lot of stuff off Prime. They have you go and pay extra for Unlimited. So instead I shelled out the 14 bucks for iTunes unlimited instead.

At the end of the day it probably 6 of one and half dozen of the other.

What I do like about iTunes (and I dont know if you can do this with Amazon unlmited Music) is I can upload my own stuff, band stuff, etc and it goes into the Cloud and i can access if from anywhere.

Can't tell you a thing about Spotify.

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My response is very similar to Johnny K's.
I did not like Amazon tunes at all. Extremely weak.
I use Prime for a few of my businesses. It works ok. Quite a few holes in the Amazon item fulfillment process.
I have not landed on Spotify for my day to day use. It doesn't do tunes as well as iTunes. So, I don't use it much at all.
iTunes does music exceptionally well. I pay for the upgraded features so I can upload my own tunes, locate extremely rare artists and albums from their library and can listen to ALL of it no matter where in the world I happen to be at the time. It all loads on my iPhones, iPods, and iPads ... very cool. I am never without my ENTIRE music library. How cool is that?!

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm using spotify, but am interested in Amazon's new HD music service. I'd like to go back to high quality music again.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I did a promotional 3 month for 9.99 on Spotify and liked it ok but didn't renew. I'll still use the free version once in a while when someone posts that their new album is on spotify (local bands mostly) I signed up for a free Amazon Music Unlimited plan and like it a lot so far. Seems like there's pretty much anything I can think of to find and play. Full albums, playlists and stations. I haven't messed with it too much but I think you can store your music on the cloud. The app works well in the car whether I use it wireless or with my usb to use android auto which is great as my truck has the big touchscreen, mainly use for google maps (wish that would work wireless but not yet)

I actually signed up for the 14.95 plan on Amazon unlimited which is the family plan. Says you can have 6 members on the account.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
For my listening I've never really noticed enough difference between LP, Cassette, CD or MP3 but then again I don't just sit and listen with the lights low and candles burning lol normally listen at work or in the car or playing along with headphones and ekit.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use Spotify and pay the 9.99 monthly fee. I do not have wifi, internet, or television at home, so I use the downloaded songs from Spotify to practice and enjoy some music in the house. Thoroughly happy with it.

mpungercar

Reaction score
I've been using Spotify premium for the last 3 or 4 years. They got me hooked when they were running a 3 months for .99 per month. I really wondered if I would like/use it when I first signed up, but I can't imagine not having it now.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From my experience out of the two, I like Spotify. The quality is better if you're paying for premium. Not quite full CD quality but very close and hard to notice.

gbow

Reaction score
Spotify user here too and like it very much. If you pay for premium and you check the high quality button, it streams at 320kbps which I can't tell the difference from a wav. The free version only allows a max of 160kbps.

You need to make sure you set the quality settings. If it's set to "low quality" you'll only get 24kbps which sounds terrible, "normal quality" is 96kbps which is also terrible, "high quality" is 160kbps and is ok but not great. That's the highest available on the free accounts. If you pay for premium you also get the option of "very high" quality which is 320kbps and is excellent.

If you've ever done test with mp3's, you'll find that 192kbps is where it starts getting difficult to hear the difference. Some people can discern 192 from a full wav, some people can't. At 256kbps it trims down the number of people who can tell the difference to a pretty small percentage. And if you go to 320kbps, there are very few people who can tell the difference.

There are some tests on the internet you can take to figure out how good you can hear the differences. I can't blindly pick out the 320kbps streams from full bandwidth wavs. I can sometimes pick out the 256k streams, but not accurately. I can only tell on certain types of sounds. At 192 I can generally tell the difference, but not every time.

I would venture to say that if you're male and over 50, you can't hear the difference with a 320kbps stream. Most of those frequencies are only heard by females and/or young people. Even with the best headphones and a quiet environment.

At any rate, our music is on all the services, so search for The Moderns and we're there :)

gabo

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all of your input! I think I will stay with Spotify for the time being. Some of this information is a little too technical for me to understand. I know sound quality is very important but I was thinking more I'm just user-friendliness and the library of songs. I can't play CDs anymore in my workshop, I have ruined many CD player, so the digital music the only choice now. I'm not sure if I can use iTunes with this Android phone but I will look into that because seems like people are very happy with that service. Again, thank you very much for all of your responses!

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tried them all, Tidal, Spotify, Amazon, Apple, etc. Settled on Apple Music for several reasons listed above and subscribed to the family plan. As far as sound quality, the ability to hear the difference of the various compressed formats will depend greatly on what gear you are listening on...any of the streaming services should be, for most people, good enough for casual listening on portable devices.

barryabko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been using Amazon Music HD for about six weeks. I've not used Spotify. I was already an Amazon Prime member so the cost was less than other HD streaming services such as Tidal. So far, I'm quite pleased with the sound quality of the higher resolution files (up to 192/24) which I mostly listen to in my 2019 Lexus ES 350 UL equipped with a high quality Mark Levinson audio system. The ML has a built-in DAC so it can recognize the raw digital files. I have not yet listened to Amazon HD in my headphone system or any of my home systems.

The selection of songs in HD Ultra is pretty good and the sound quality is far better than SiriusXM, mp3s and other compressed sources.

Latest posts