Spring loaded beaters?

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they exist?

I'm wondering because I like the sound of broad, flat face beaters but don't really like their lack of rebound. The beater I have here would be perfect if it had the bounce of a round beater. The wide, flat surface brings a huge sound out of a bass drum.

beater pic.jpg

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what you're playing for a pedal. Could you make an adjustment to compensate? If you can still maintain a sound that you like, perhaps adding a slight amount of tension to the batter head to quicken the rebound?

Thinking the initial impact of a spring loaded beater would give you a mushy feel...you'd be trading one irk for another.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what you're playing for a pedal. Could you make an adjustment to compensate? If you can still maintain a sound that you like, perhaps adding a slight amount of tension to the batter head to quicken the rebound?

Thinking the initial impact of a spring loaded beater would give you a mushy feel...you'd be trading one irk for another.
Normally, I'm playing either my 80's Rogers Supreme swivo or Speed Cobra (not for many months now, but the SC would be my standard).

More tension on the batter head does give more rebound but the overall feel isn't improved enough, and as you mentioned, it includes a change in sound. More spring tension in the pedal changes the feel. Overall, I'm just wondering what kind of change would happen with a spring loaded beater. If it was a good idea, maybe one would exist already, but maybe it is a good idea and should exist (?).

Last edited:

pjmariner

Reaction score
1611603075566.png

Normally, I'm playing either my 80's Rogers Supreme swivo or Speed Cobra (not for many months now, but the SC would be my standard).

More tension on the batter head does give more rebound but the overall feel isn't improved enough, and as you mentioned, it includes a change in the sound. More spring tension in the pedal changes the feel. Overall, I'm just wondering what kind of change would happen with a spring loaded beater. If it was a good idea, maybe one would exist already, but maybe it is a good idea and should exist (?).
Maybe a fiber glass or composite beater Shaft. That would be more useable than a spring loaded.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm so late into this thread.
I googled the term "spring-loaded kick drum beater" and found this...

NK-9 Beater

View attachment 481779
How early did you want to be on this thread? It’s 3 hours old! lol

I could’ve googled the terms too, but I guess I wanted to hear from anyone who found some spring loaded beaters and used them.

The round beater face on the ninja beaters wouldn’t get the sound I want, I think. I’m after a big, flat felt beater with a spring in it.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw this one, online, a week or two ago. Not sure if the head is interchangeable, but it looks like you could pop the nut and fender washer off, and replace with a head of your choice. A bit spendy though.

Last edited:

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
How early did you want to be on this thread? It’s 3 hours old! lol

I could’ve googled the terms too, but I guess I wanted to hear from anyone who found some spring loaded beaters and used them.

The round beater face on the ninja beaters wouldn’t get the sound I want, I think. I’m after a big, flat felt beater with a spring in it.
LOL, my bad.... whenever I see a that that is new to Me, on impulse I look at the date
up in the far right corner of the post and think that it is the date of the thread
and so I thought That was the date of this thread, lol.

schmbligh.jpg

I've never used any spring-loaded beaters (yet), only the rigid ones.

Have you tried doing a search at Reverb? There's a chance you might find
the beater you're looking for at Reverb.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw this one, online, a week or two ago. Not sure if the head is interchangeable, but it looks like you could pop the nut and fender washer off, and replace with a head of your choice. A bit spendy though.
That beater looks like it could be just right. Or should I say, the flexible shaft. I wonder how long it took to fine tune the rebound. Though pricey, I’m ordering the medium one. Since the beater itself is screwed onto the shaft with a nut and washer, it might be swappable. Thanks for the link to the review.

There’s an endorsement from Don Famularo at the end of this link. That can’t be bad.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Add on: A better idea would be if I contact the company who makes the flex beater and find out of the beater head can be swapped. I don’t see why not though.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should ask Aaron @ Ninja beater. While not conducive for you, he's usually at the Chicago show....
I found them (him?) on FB and sent a message. It didn't look like it went through but who knows. I'll check in a day or two.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rich at the company (Dynamic Beaters) offered to make a beater for me. I think he wanted to be sure it would fit, but I’m going to try the stock beater and if it doesn’t work for me, swap it out.

The concept of a beater that flexes like a stick seems logical in a way. It’ll be interesting to find out how well it works.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time for a little followup on the Dynamic Beater I ordered.

I briefly played it with the stock beater top and then swapped it out for the square, felt Danmar Zorro pictured in the first post. It actually played better with the stock top, but a few changes influenced that.

First, to make the Danmar's narrower top to bottom depth fit on the shaft, I added several washers, which changed the weight disadvantageously. This made it feel too floppy when the beater struck the head, like it was being mashed against a rubbery wall. I never got that impression with the lighter, stock beater top, with its round shape producing a faster return from the head with an assist from the rubber coupler built into the shaft. For a reminder, here's the Dynamic beater as a whole product.

dynamic  beater.png

I contacted Rich at Dynamic Beaters who wanted to know my take on his product, and suggested that swapping the beater top was likely to throw off the balance. He was right. I will be switching it back to its original form.