header.nohb.html

Square Yamaha Maple Custom lug replacement option

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found a lug that fits the 90's Maple Custom lug hole pattern for bass and toms? It has the small pin/nipple hole that helps to stabilize the "single" screw lug. Did anyone use a similar hole design?

Any idea what might fit? It doesn't have to be Yamaha?
I am looking at this: https://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_9_797&products_id=13366

I recently severed both tendons in my pinky and 8 weeks into my rehab I ruptured one of the repaired tendons, so I still a couple of months out from playing again. But, I am looking for something to give me something to look forward to.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

spelman

Reaction score
Has anyone found a lug that fits the 90's Maple Custom lug hole pattern for bass and toms? It has the small pin/nipple hole that helps to stabilize the "single" screw lug. Did anyone use a similar hole design?

I am looking at this: https://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_9_797&products_id=13366

I recently severed both tendons in my pinky and 8 weeks into my rehab I ruptured one of the repaired tendons, so I still a couple of months out from playing again. But, I am looking for something to give me something to look forward to.

Thanks for your help!
Some Mapex lugs have that feature.
DSC_1456.jpg

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Watch though as that single screw was reversed; meaning the screw was on top causing the lug to lift up off the shell when tensioned. Can’t remember the production time frame this occurred, but make sure your shell has the pinhole on top closer to the edge. Will make a difference on which lug to replace. Hope this makes sense

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watch though as that single screw was reversed; meaning the screw was on top causing the lug to lift up off the shell when tensioned. Can’t remember the production time frame this occurred, but make sure your shell has the pinhole on top closer to the edge. Will make a difference on which lug to replace. Hope this makes sense
Gonzo - great call. It appears the bass has the big hole closer to the edge, while the toms have the nub hole closer to the edge. I need each, so thanks for the heads up. Thanks!

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Okay, so wait a sec... What exactly are you looking for? You need to replace some, or a few, lugs on your Maple Custom shells, or you have procured Maple Custom shells with no hardware on them and you need to put hardware on them that doesn't necessarily need to be by Yamaha? As Gonzo mentioned, Yamaha had 2 versions of the Maple Custom lugs. The early shells had the mounting screw close to the bearing edge, and the later ones had the mounting screw further back from the edge. Since you have pointed out that your shells have a mix of both, it looks like you can get us a quick measurement of center to center on those hole/nipple.

Trying to find a single point lug that will work for your mis-matched shells, especially one large enough to cover the hole for the alignment nipple/pin could be tough. The ones you linked are only about 1" in diameter, so the little alignment hole could still be exposed if you use those. Something that could work, though, would be the Yamaha Taillight or Teardrop style lugs. They come with ~3/4" hole spacing and are made for both tom/snare and bass drum heights. It would require you to drill an additional hole (probably right near the alignment pin location (probably even consuming that entire dimple)) for every lug, but in the end, they have the Yamaha look and will work for all your drums.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so wait a sec... What exactly are you looking for? You need to replace some, or a few, lugs on your Maple Custom shells, or you have procured Maple Custom shells with no hardware on them and you need to put hardware on them that doesn't necessarily need to be by Yamaha? As Gonzo mentioned, Yamaha had 2 versions of the Maple Custom lugs. The early shells had the mounting screw close to the bearing edge, and the later ones had the mounting screw further back from the edge. Since you have pointed out that your shells have a mix of both, it looks like you can get us a quick measurement of center to center on those hole/nipple.

Trying to find a single point lug that will work for your mis-matched shells, especially one large enough to cover the hole for the alignment nipple/pin could be tough. The ones you linked are only about 1" in diameter, so the little alignment hole could still be exposed if you use those. Something that could work, though, would be the Yamaha Taillight or Teardrop style lugs. They come with ~3/4" hole spacing and are made for both tom/snare and bass drum heights. It would require you to drill an additional hole (probably right near the alignment pin location (probably even consuming that entire dimple)) for every lug, but in the end, they have the Yamaha look and will work for all your drums.

Tommy, I have bare shells. And, would be sourcing for 3 toms and a bass drum for now. I was hoping to not drill holes, but am capable once my hand heals, hopefully.

Last edited:

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shells are now fully in my possession. I am probably 10 weeks away from the "safe zone" where there isn't a lot of further injury and being able to play, so I have some time to clean up the shells and source suitable lugs.

I am excited to have a Yamaha in the house again.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You may not have to drill new holes if you use the Yamaha style lugs on DFD. I know I said you would have to drill new holes, but the nubs/bungs/bosses/etc. on the Yamaha style lugs aren't that big and they dont stick out too far. So if the alignment pin hole in the shell is spaced right around that 3/4" spacing and if the hole is big enough and deep enough, the extra nub on the Yamaha style lug could just act as an alignment pin like the factory Yamaha lug does.

This is a lot of conjecture since I don't actually have a Yamaha shell here to test, but I do have some of those Yamaha lugs in my possession to check some measurements if you need.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may not have to drill new holes if you use the Yamaha style lugs on DFD. I know I said you would have to drill new holes, but the nubs/bungs/bosses/etc. on the Yamaha style lugs aren't that big and they dont stick out too far. So if the alignment pin hole in the shell is spaced right around that 3/4" spacing and if the hole is big enough and deep enough, the extra nub on the Yamaha style lug could just act as an alignment pin like the factory Yamaha lug does.

This is a lot of conjecture since I don't actually have a Yamaha shell here to test, but I do have some of those Yamaha lugs in my possession to check some measurements if you need.
Thanks Tommy. Now that I have the shells in hand, it should be easier to really get a feel for the spacing I need. I appreciate your help!

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
DrumFactoryDirect.com had the best and pretty much only options for lugs where I wouldn’t have to drill holes in the shells.

I thought about going with Absolute lugs which the maple customs used after the brass lugs, but I would need to drill holes in every shell.

So, taking a “do no harm” approach I ordered some neoprene washers to cover the original lug pinholes.

I am deciding between the brass or the DW Style lug.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• CF47D43A-0620-4247-A6E5-967ACC6D216D.jpeg
    CF47D43A-0620-4247-A6E5-967ACC6D216D.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 79852A73-43B9-481A-9FA1-FE3D113EFCE2.jpeg
    79852A73-43B9-481A-9FA1-FE3D113EFCE2.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 14
  • A6EBF53A-2964-4955-8297-2F65D4577B4C.jpeg
    A6EBF53A-2964-4955-8297-2F65D4577B4C.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 14

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what you will chose but either is going to look great! Nice kit!!

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what you will chose but either is going to look great! Nice kit!!
Thanks! I am leaning toward the brass since they are so much different than my other kits lugs and it sort of pays homage to the brass lugs that were originally on the kit.

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score

Thanks for your help!
Stinks that Yamaha doesn’t still make replacement lugs available for its most iconic drumset (JMO)!

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I
Stinks that Yamaha doesn’t still make replacement lugs available for its most iconic drumset (JMO)!
I agree. I am leaning toward the brass and NO DRILLING just in case they come out with another brass single point lug. I will probably have to go with some shoter tension rods for the bass, and possibly the toms. I will figure it out over the holidays, hopefully.