SSB TWY Snare Questions.

harvdm

Reaction score
Hey there,

Had a couple of questions about this drum.
Badge seems to indicate 70's.
Tag model # 4153W (walnut) though the drum is factory TWY.
The position of the strainer is not in the middle (6 1/2) as I have seen on many, but higher up on the shell. It actually works really well being where it is.
Has aftermarket butt ( looking for a lightning!)
There are no extra holes and everything except the butt is original.
So...Could this have been a special order?
Does any of this lead to a specific year?
Drum sings unlike many of these...
Thanks,
h.
TWY Badge.JPG
TWY strainer.JPG
TWY #.JPG

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
Now that's a very unique snare drum. I actually like the strainer position too... do you have the matching kit?

Unfortunately, I don't know much about them other then they were pretty popular in the late 1970s. They came in lacquered TWY and wrapped TWY and of course in various sizes. For some reason you just don't see very many of these TWY drums anymore.

I have a lacquered TWY 4157 SSB snare drum and matching bop kit.

harvdm

Reaction score
Now that's a very unique snare drum. I actually like the strainer position too... do you have the matching kit?

Unfortunately, I don't know much about them other then they were pretty popular in the late 1970s. They came in lacquered TWY and wrapped TWY and of course in various sizes. For some reason you just don't see very many of these TWY drums anymore.

I have a lacquered TWY 4157 SSB snare drum and matching bop kit.
I actually do have an 18-12-14 twy. An amazing kit

paulwells73

Reaction score
Beautiful kit and snare!

In the 1970 catalog, a "W" after a model number referred to a Walnut finish. By the 1977 catalog, the "W" stood for any "wood" finish, which I believe meant any lacquer. This most likely included Yellow Lacquer, even though it wasn’t a catalog finish until much later.

harvdm

Reaction score
Thanks Paul... I also have not seen this tom mount with a BD mount quite like that.

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
Thanks Paul... I also have not seen this tom mount with a BD mount quite like that.
Nice TWY SSB bop kit! Your tom "ball" mount and bass drum bracket is actually very common during that time period. My TWY bop kit has the older standard W&A rail mount which most drummers perfer because they say it's stronger. I have a factory mixed badge walnut SSB kit that has your exact mount system and I haven't had any problems with it.