Stabilizing late 60s Ludwig 22" bass drum

remymo

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey friends.

What tricks do you have for stabilizing those 60's ludwig bass drums and those butterfly legs that don't want to stay down?

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 10.40.33 AM.png

becken

Reaction score
Gently use some needle nosed pliers to tighten things up when you set up. I have a 1965 Ludwig BD, used it a lot over the years. Spurs still do their job. Now years ago I removed the rubber tips off of them so outward/sliding/unfolding is curtailed.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Worst. Bass drum legs. Ever.

Mine started to slip. So I tightened them more with a pliers. Then they started to slip. So I tightened them with a vice grips. Then they started to slip.

So I got them in position and metal epoxied them into place. Ugly and permanent, but NO SLIPPAGE!

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Replace them with a sturdy, modern working system.
Its a simple question of do you want old drums to function well or just look original.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What works well for me is confirming both washers are there. Both are needed to create the proper friction for every Ludwig bracket.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If the problem continues try the solutions already noted, install the modern slotted bracket with memory lock. The original gull wing spurs and many of the new ones are too short to support the memory lock. DFD sells a repro with a long enough arm for the memory lock and a spur tip that’s is retractable (term will suffice). $16 for the pair.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Please nobody drill! Lol. I use these legs all the time and have never had a problem. Adding an extra washer helps. If the legs are the earlier version with the knurled pattern VS the straight lines, this can affect things too. If you really want things to be rock solid, I would get two new Ludwig classic brackets as well as the gull wing spurs that is currently offered.

I bought a set of gull wing reproductions from Jim Petty years ago and they are the best spurs ever! They are longer than the original and work really well. I always swap out the original ones for the Petty version when I do a gig.

jd.1138

Reaction score
Please nobody drill! Lol. I use these legs all the time and have never had a problem. Adding an extra washer helps. If the legs are the earlier version with the knurled pattern VS the straight lines, this can affect things too. If you really want things to be rock solid, I would get two new Ludwig classic brackets as well as the gull wing spurs that is currently offered.

I bought a set of gull wing reproductions from Jim Petty years ago and they are the best spurs ever! They are longer than the original and work really well. I always swap out the original ones for the Petty version when I do a gig.
Thank you for this. I just have the spikey type of legs and didn't really want to put holes in the new carpet.

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worst. Bass drum legs. Ever.

Mine started to slip. So I tightened them more with a pliers. Then they started to slip. So I tightened them with a vice grips. Then they started to slip.

So I got them in position and metal epoxied them into place. Ugly and permanent, but NO SLIPPAGE!
The moral of this story is, “Don’t tighten them with pliers!”

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may need new brackets but also might try the extended gull-wing legs that I found helpful on my 14x20 BDP Ludwig. I ordered them from Jack Lawton lawtondrums.com

IMG_0267.jpg

becken

Reaction score
4 cinder blocks in front of the drum
Been there, done that. There is also, or was, a device you could put on the front BD rim and the spikes(on some models, I had a Ludwig one) could be nailed into the floor if it were a wooden or carpet covered floor). tying some small diameter rope to two BD T-rod handles on the batter head side, and wrap the cord around your throne. NEVER USE AN AMP or SPEAKER PARKED AGAINST THE FRONT/RESO HEAD, LEST THE HEAT MELT THE RESO HEAD!!!!