header.nohb.html

Stabilizing late 60s Ludwig 22" bass drum

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a '68 22" (gigged before) and '69 20" (new kit - gigged 1x) and have not had issues yet. Instead of fully new bracket(s), you can just buy the pair of eye bolts. I just don't know if they come with the wing nut (guessing no), or whether your old ones will fit onto the old bolts. Or maybe go to Ace Hardware and buying a better wing nut. They have plastic ones with easy grips and I would think you could tighten better than the wing nut. I did that on the 20" for the tom mount (a bolt with large plastic knob - tight and no tool is needed). It could also be the legs, too, and Danmar makes gullwing repro legs for $30-ish. [I bought a pair when converting a FT to a bass - the 9mm is great for vintage FT brackets).

I think they'd be so much cooler if they were just L-shaped without that angle. That's a tempting little project with those Danmars since I converted that FT to a full bass.....hmmm.....

I've never thought about the reason behind the double washer - thanks for the info!

Last edited:

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a '68 22" (gigged before) and '69 20" (new kit - gigged 1x) and have not had issues yet. Instead of fully new bracket(s), you can just buy the pair of eye bolts. I just don't know if they come with the wing nut (guessing no), or whether your old ones will fit onto the old bolts. Or maybe go to Ace Hardware and buying a better wing nut. They have plastic ones with easy grips and I would think you could tighten better than the wing nut. I did that on the 20" for the tom mount (a bolt with large plastic knob - tight and no tool is needed). It could also be the legs, too, and Danmar makes gullwing repro legs for $30-ish. [I bought a pair when converting a FT to a bass - the 9mm is great for vintage FT brackets).

I think they'd be so much cooler if they were just L-shaped without that angle. That's a tempting little project with those Danmars since I converted that FT to a full bass.....hmmm.....

I've never thought about the reason behind the double washer - thanks for the info!
It's Pearl that makes spurs that are straight, without the angle you are referring to. #JG16. This system is designed for lifting a small drum off the ground [like a riser] when converting a tom into a bass drum. The spurs might work on the Ludwig bass drum in the P1216D mount.
Stretch