Stage Customs

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What a great demo. I have owned a lot of kits, vintage and new, and currently have 3 Yamaha kits, 2 recording custom and a live custom, and have owned a stage custom. And I always say....aint nothing wrong with the stage customs...in fact there is a whole lot right and this video shows it....Paiste and Yamaha...nice combo.
Yeah, he does such a thorough play-through of the kit. It really is killer! Made me even consider selling everything, and just make a shell bank of nothing but Stage Custom Birch drums!

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really nice playing man. Tasteful, smooth, slick. Very nice. One suggestion. You need to turn up the mic on the hit hats and on the ride cymbal just a bit. Can't really hear all that great hi hat footwork or the subtle stuff you're doing on the ride. The drums are nice sounding with lots of bottom end. Not criticism. Just would love to hear more of your playing. Thanks for posting.
Oh, no, no, that's not me! That's someone else!! I wish it was me!!

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is my 2010 Stage Custom Birch Bop kit (I've posted this one on DFO before -- sorry if you've already seen this) in 18/12/14 (with a 7x14 Beech Custom Absolute snare in White Marine Pearl):
SCUSTOM1.jpg

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Playing them here (with a newer edition Tour Custom snare drum). They're great for the $$$. I only wish they would offer shallower bass drums.

Last edited:

Jhon

Reaction score
hy, I am from australia. I am study in australia about the musical instrument. I like to drumming. Now i am starting current stage customs.
9009494_800.jpg

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Don't forget Ludwig at that pricepoint as well. When I bought my kit almost 2 years ago, my #1 choice was the Stage Customs. Then I heard my Ludwig's and that was it! The Evolution Maples are 100% North American maple. (Not to be confused with the Element Evolutions which are a beginner kit) You can't beat them for the price if you like maple & if you want something name brand. I know the stage Customs are birch but the Maples sounded richer and the hardware is fantastic!

Last edited:

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are these stage customs considered entry level? I think they are great drums for their price but I watched a review where the guy kept saying entry level and a good first kit or Stuff like that. I mean it is cheap but not that cheap, if you buy a 5piece with hardware and cymbals you are looking at $1000 at least.
is it because it is one trim above the Gigmaker and it is made in China or what?

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Intermediate is how i see them.
And I love em!
Built a shell bank recently.
Wont break the bank.
Sounds just fine.
Made in China.
JR Frondelli,DFO'er,did a review for the GigMakers when they came out.
A++ basically,but,i believe you're correct about the SCs being a skoach better could mean cheap to some.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Intermediate is how i see them.
And I love em!
Built a shell bank recently.
Wont break the bank.
Sounds just fine.
Made in China.
JR Frondelli,DFO'er,did a review for the GigMakers when they came out.
A++ basically,but,i believe you're correct about the SCs being a skoach better could mean cheap to some.
Great to know you love yours.
It is cheap but I a meant for a kid to start on SC it’s still not that cheap if you count in hardware and cymbals but yea maybe some think $1000 is cheap for a starter kit.

is yours the latest version? How do you like the build quality? Have you seen the Gretsch Catalinas in person, how do they compare to Catalinas?

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are these stage customs considered entry level? I think they are great drums for their price but I watched a review where the guy kept saying entry level and a good first kit or Stuff like that. I mean it is cheap but not that cheap, if you buy a 5piece with hardware and cymbals you are looking at $1000 at least.
is it because it is one trim above the Gigmaker and it is made in China or what?
In the drum world, $1000 for a new kit with hardware and cymbals is considered cheap. You can get cheaper but they will be pretty crappy drums. Remember also that the cymbals you get are bottom of the barrel with those kits that include everything. So yes they are typically considered entry level. That doesn't mean that they sound entry level though and they don't have entry level quality. For a typical shell pack (just drums) in like 4 pieces for something that's considered semi-pro, your looking at like $1500+. And from there, prices can skyrocket! I see you asked about Catalina:s. They would make a great kit to start with. My nephew has them and they sound great and are well built. Any of the offerings from any major manufacturer at that price point will be fine and similar in quality. Note: the lower prices kits are typically Chinese, the intermediates are usually from Taiwan (better build quality) and the top of the line stuff can be USA, Japan, Germany etc..

Last edited:

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the drum world, $1000 for a new kit with hardware and cymbals is considered cheap. You can get cheaper but they will be pretty crappy drums. Remember also that the cymbals you get are bottom of the barrel with those kits that include everything. So yes they are typically considered entry level. That doesn't mean that they sound entry level though and they don't have entry level quality. For a typical shell pack (just drums) in like 4 pieces for something that's considered semi-pro, your looking at like $1500+. And from there, prices can skyrocket! I see you asked about Catalina:s. They would make a great kit to start with. My nephew has them and they sound great and are well built. Any of the offerings from any major manufacturer at that price point will be fine and similar in quality. Note: the lower prices kits are typically Chinese, the intermediates are usually from Taiwan (better build quality) and the top of the line stuff can be USA, Japan, Germany etc..
Yes, you are correct.
So, where do Tour customs stand?
Can they be considered as equivalent of stage customs but with maple shells or there is more to it?
I think their badge also says “made in Taiwan”.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Great to know you love yours.
It is cheap but I a meant for a kid to start on SC it’s still not that cheap if you count in hardware and cymbals but yea maybe some think $1000 is cheap for a starter kit.

is yours the latest version? How do you like the build quality? Have you seen the Gretsch Catalinas in person, how do they compare to Catalinas?
A complete kit 10,12,14,20,2017 plus a 16" fltm and a 22 bass bought the last year.
I would think theyre comparable,but dont really know.
Only Catalinas ive owned were first birch,then Cat. Clubs,i no longer own either,just the Yammies.
Im satisfied with the fit and finish,performance is stellar!
Ive had a total of 5 of these kits starting with the 2015 model.
I just make them work for me.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct.
So, where do Tour customs stand?
Can they be considered as equivalent of stage customs but with maple shells or there is more to it?
I think their badge also says “made in Taiwan”.
I view the TCs as an upgrade from the SCBs. I don't see them as SCBs in a different shell wood. I think they're a better shell, in general, even if they share somewhat similar aesthetics.

The price difference is substantial; Sweetwater has SCBs at $679 whereas the TCs sell for $1299.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yamaha isn't the only company that makes a birch lower-intermediate kit and a maple higher-end kit. Sonor AQ's come to mind, though I think both AQ's are made in the same factory. Of course, the sound depends more on the shell formula than the location of the contracted factory (remember most high-end Yamaha kits are now built in their factory in mainland China), and quality depends more on hardware (bearing edge?) than either (the almighty RCs are birch).
I haven't played a SC or TC kit but they look pretty immaculate from the outside. I played a Sonor Force 3007 (precursor of today's AQ2) house kit and IIRC it was good! If the TC's are similar you should be good to go. :thumbup:

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yamaha isn't the only company that makes a birch lower-intermediate kit and a maple higher-end kit. Sonor AQ's come to mind, though I think both AQ's are made in the same factory. Of course, the sound depends more on the shell formula than the location of the contracted factory (remember most high-end Yamaha kits are now built in their factory in mainland China), and quality depends more on hardware (bearing edge?) than either (the almighty RCs are birch).
I haven't played a SC or TC kit but they look pretty immaculate from the outside. I played a Sonor Force 3007 (precursor of today's AQ2) house kit and IIRC it was good! If the TC's are similar you should be good to go. :thumbup:
Yes, definitely there are competitors out there for every line of drums from different manufacturers. I am actually considering Yamaha drums (SC to AHM) but SC’s sound and build quality makes it a perfect choice for a shell bank idea and gigging since they are affordable, sound good and I have heard they are light drums. The fact that the higher end Yamaha kits are being made in China makes a big difference for the lower end kits, I think the perspective towards lower end kits will change. However, knowing people’s mentality I am sure you will see Japan made kits being advertised with superiority (regardless of the line) and will demand more money, just because of that “Made in Japan” Factor.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have two 12's and a 14 x14 Stage Custom ' birch ' . They are good sounding and recording drums - the edges and shells appear to be perfect copies of the original Japanese design. I bought them off of the local KIJIJI with a 10 and a 20 bass drum . Didn't care for the bass and I already have some other tens . Whole kit was $225 with the mediocre matching snare , not a bad deal at all . After selling the tom and bass drum and snare , I came out ahead . I'm using REMO black suede emps and clear ambs . This seems to work best for me .

I'd choose the Indonesian SC's from the early 90's anytime over the newer ones . Falkata ?

Last edited:

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have two 12's and a 14 x14 Stage Custom ' birch ' . They are good sounding and recording drums - the edges and shells appear to be perfect copies of the original Japanese design. I bought them off of the local KIJIJI with a 10 and a 20 bass drum . Didn't care for the bass and I already have some other tens . Whole kit was $225 with the mediocre matching snare , not a bad deal at all . After selling the tom and bass drum and snare , I came out ahead . I'm using REMO black suede emps and clear ambs . This seems to work best for me .

I'd choose the Indonesian SC's from the early 90's anytime over the newer ones . Falkata ?

I have a Yamaha SCS kit, natural finish ~ 20,10,14, made in 2001,
birch, mahogany, falkata, which sound excellent. The only thing I don't like much about the kit is the BD is 17x20 which is deeper than I prefer.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tommy Igoe paying on an SC kit. I've heard them sound even better with good heads instead of these stock ones. They sound great on the second vid with Weckl.
Yep! if it's good enough for Weckl and Igoe, then it's good enough for just about anyone!

Latest posts