STAGG CYMBALS....Opinions?

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I came across this review on Stagg cymbals.

I love playing flat rides, don't play out anymore, but the 'Cymbalholic' addiction grabs me each time, so tell me what you know about Stagg. Yes, they are made in China, but so is Dream and Wuhan..and with a grreat following.

If you believe in the accuracy of youtube videos, what I have watched sound as good as any B20 hand lathed, hand hammered (which Stagg is). Comment reviews on the tube, very positive. So, what's the story?

Reverb has a few Stagg Flats for $159-179. Any experience with Stagg, especially the flats? What of the Big Four, would you compare them too?

ARTICLE: https://drumshoptalk.wordpress.com/reviews/cymbals/stagg-cymbal-review/

Last edited:

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stagg are cheap and you're better off investing in good quality cymbals than Stagg or arborea Chinese cheap cymbals.
you can make a cheap drum set sound better but you can't make cheap cymbals sound better.
stick with Paiste, Zildjian, Meinl, or Sabian.
cymbals are the best investment for your set and they last a long time as long as you don't beat the crap out of them.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Stagg are cheap and you're better off investing in good quality cymbals than Stagg or arborea Chinese cheap cymbals.
you can make a cheap drum set sound better but you can't make cheap cymbals sound better.
stick with Paiste, Zildjian, Meinl, or Sabian.
cymbals are the best investment for your set and they last a long time as long as you don't beat the crap out of them.
My thoughts too....just finished reading another review, and it mentioned they are similar to Saluda cymbals, and provide the blanks for Saluda

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Stagg sounds have come a long way in the last years. Listen and choose wisely, and you can have a great sound, I'd say some compare to American made ones, for not much money. I don't play that hard, not sure if they hold up as well, but the ones I have are flawless: 22" traditional China, 8" splash, 16" vintage crash.
I could imagine flat rides from the sounding good as well, would be interested in hearing them. In general, I think flat ride aren't the hardest cymbal type to get right.

If you are familiar with Dream cymbals, they come from a similar, of not the identical factory.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long ago 20 years maybe I played a Stagg 22" in the store and it sounded liked my 22" old K New Stamp at home. I went back a week later and it was gone but I'll never forget that. did not know the model it was dark in color all I can remember.
I wouldn't count them out just not sure they know or have a clear defined 'direction'. (it may change)

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It depends on the line. I've been milling about grabbing the odd Sensa crash/ride/splash and I think they sound pretty fantastic. They sound somewhere between a 70's Zildjian A and a Paiste and have become my go to for medium and low volume gigs because they're not terribly loud. The rides in particular are very mellow. I've played the Genghis line as well and use a VB crash as a top hat for a pair of 15" hats. I'd love if they made a set of 15" sensa hats.

The Saludas i've played were mostly clunkers, Stagg has been way nicer and consistent with what I've tried even having the same blanks. With only what I've played and listened to I'd call them the Chinese "Paiste" to Dreams "Zildjian". A bit more glass on average and more consistent.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Played some Stagg DH's at Starving in Santa Cruz.
Easily as good as a Sabian HH or Zildjian K.
Stagg hired one of Sabians cymbal guys a few years ago and it shows.

Last edited:

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had 2 of their Black Metal Bells, and one of their mini chinas for a long time now. They sound great and have endured quite a bit of abuse over the years. I loaned them to an open class DCI group one year, and I've continued to hack away at the china on certain gigs over the years, and they're all in great condition.

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 20" Ghengis...nice enough (FRankmott owns it now)...I have a Furia 17 rock crash that looks and sounds great...a 14" DH crash that's disappointing. I've heard a few SHs that were very sweet. I disagree with the comment about only buying from the big 3...I have a Soultone flat ride that is amazing...crashable...amazing wash...while being dry.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Stagg sounds have come a long way in the last years. Listen and choose wisely, and you can have a great sound, I'd say some compare to American made ones, for not much money. I don't play that hard, not sure if they hold up as well, but the ones I have are flawless: 22" traditional China, 8" splash, 16" vintage crash.
I could imagine flat rides from the sounding good as well, would be interested in hearing them. In general, I think flat ride aren't the hardest cymbal type to get right.

If you are familiar with Dream cymbals, they come from a similar, of not the identical factory.
I've heard that there are only 4 factories in Turkey,so 1 in 4 chance.

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
I've heard that there are only 4 factories in Turkey,so 1 in 4 chance.
Not sure if that is true. When I was in Istanbul a couple of years ago I visited the Istanbul Mehmet factory. In the same street as this factory there were at least other 2 or 3 factories of none of the big names and I know that Agop, Agean, Bosphorus and Diril all have their factories, generally in the outskirts of Istanbul.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I got back to drumming a few years ago, I bought a Stagg ride and a Stagg crash to experiment. They were a good deal and the videos I saw sounded great. I don't recall which line but it was top shelf B20 Stagg. I received them and put them back in the boxes to return faster than I unpacked them. They were horrible!
They sounded like beginner brass cymbals. Never again!
I do have and use a Stagg cowbell that sounds great though, Lol!!

toddbishop

Reaction score
I think a couple of my students have them-- some hihats and crash. They seem like decent student cymbals. Not a great sound, but they respond like real cymbals-- unlike the clangy student cymbals the major brands make. Not a big sample size, but I'm certainly interested in hearing more.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yup ,you're right.
Looks to be quite a few in china though.
Yeah, seems like with Ali Baba etc. you can now find out about this much more easily than say 2007 when we learned about Dream for the first time.

I remember this name coming up back then:

2009 thread: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/...of-the-Dream-Eastsound-and-Wuhan-Gong-Factory