Stagg External Bass Muffler

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for something that I can use to easily change the sound of my kick drum on a gig (like you can do with BFSD, Roots EQ, etc. for toms / snare). I had been looking at several vintage external bass mufflers, as well as the Remo / Weckl version, and kind of accidentally came across the Stagg muffler:

The name is AWFUL ("Snap on dampening ring for bass drum"), which meant it wasn't showing up in any of my original searches.

Wasn't sure what to expect, as my experience with Stagg stuff (especially hardware) hasn't been great in the past, but it was cheap enough that it was worth a shot.

In short -- I absolutely love it! I immediately ordered another one to keep in my gig tool box, and I'll be keeping my original one in my studio.

The jaws / clamp are really secure but also nicely padded. Have had it on my brand new Ludwig kit (satin hoops w/ a wrap inlay), and not a single scratch / mar, and it doesn't BUDGE.

The pad itself is a medium density foam (like what you'd see lining a trap stand / gig tray is the best way I can explain it).

I'm a big fan!

(For context -- that's an 18" bass drum that it's on. The pad is about 6" in diameter)

IMG_0733.jpeg

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was close to buying a muffler like that recently and might get one just to compare. The Stagg is available on amazon and I almost went that direction but decided on the Remo Sub Muff'l. I imagine both devices yield about the same result and it just depends which format is more comfortable.

The Remo transformed my bass drum sound for the better. I can tune it up higher for better rebound and still maintain a lower, deep thump, similar to putting a piece of paper or a cut out drumhead on a snare.

I like the design of the Stagg a little more because it can be taken off and used on another bass drum of any size. Might have to get me one!

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was close to buying a muffler like that recently and might get one just to compare. The Stagg is available on amazon and I almost went that direction but decided on the Remo Sub Muff'l. I imagine both devices yield about the same result and it just depends which format is more comfortable.

The Remo transformed my bass drum sound for the better. I can tune it up higher for better rebound and still maintain a lower, deep thump, similar to putting a piece of paper or a cut out drumhead on a snare.

I like the design of the Stagg a little more because it can be taken off and used on another bass drum of any size. Might have to get me one!
The Sub Muffl is interesting as well. I ended up going this route because of the flexibility of being able to use it on the resonant or batter, and able to adjust the position of the pad -- closer to the hoop for less muffling, closer to the impact point for more.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, I am in the market for the same thing and was underwhelmed with the options available. I may try this one out. I do like the feature on the Remo that it can be engaged on/off without unscrewing it. Does anyone know if this is more adjustable than on/off? For example more or less muffling? I would love something that lays against the head with the help of gravity, but is capable of bouncing off a bit with larger vibration hits (laying into the drum) to be able to pull that open bombastic tone out dynamically. I've seen similar for snare drum muffling, seems like a natural for bass drums as well.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those have been made since the 1930s, though I'm sure the modern ones are more user friendly.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, I am in the market for the same thing and was underwhelmed with the options available. I may try this one out. I do like the feature on the Remo that it can be engaged on/off without unscrewing it. Does anyone know if this is more adjustable than on/off? For example more or less muffling? I would love something that lays against the head with the help of gravity, but is capable of bouncing off a bit with larger vibration hits (laying into the drum) to be able to pull that open bombastic tone out dynamically. I've seen similar for snare drum muffling, seems like a natural for bass drums as well.
The second knob at least theoretically allows you to control how firmly the pad is pressed against the head. It doesn't offer a ton of flexibility though. I've had more luck pulling it further off the head at the clamp end (i.e., not putting so much of the hoop into the "jaws").

Those have been made since the 1930s, though I'm sure the modern ones are more user friendly.
Yup, I've used some of the vintage versions in the past, but every one I've ever used has either a) rattled, b) fell off easily, or c) both :) I was looking for the Gary Chaffee muffler, which is IMO the ultimate version of this type of muffler, but those are now super rare to find -- searching for that is actually what led me to the Stagg version.

Last edited:
Reactions: owr

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Danmar clamp on and it works fine. It's smaller than the Stagg and has a rectangular thick felt pad that can be adjusted for contact with the head. It is very sturdy and works fine on my 16in Sonor Safari kick. My only concern was that the clamp was not padded but that was easily fixed.

Reactions: owr