Stains

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So the pearl kick I cut down I’m gonna use for a kit build. 22/12/16 I’m thinking stain is gonna be way I go. I would love to do a mint color but the only thing I found close is unicorn spit teal. Has any one tried the unicorn spit brand?

Also thinking about doing barber shop pole pattern. Staining mint and natural. What you guys think?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know but I googled unicorn spit and that is a very cool looking stain! I wonder if they have other colors.

The problem with the natural/stain is that it's very hard to do in my experience. I tried to put a mahogany stain strip on a 3" wide snare. The plan was a 1" center strip of mahogany stain. I used blue painter's tape on the top and bottom but it bled through and just didn't look as sharp as I wanted. Sanding out that stain was a real pain, so I ended up staining the entire thing mahogany. I was using Minwax stain and don't have any experience with the unicorn stain, though.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know but I googled unicorn spit and that is a very cool looking stain! I wonder if they have other colors.

The problem with the natural/stain is that it's very hard to do in my experience. I tried to put a mahogany stain strip on a 3" wide snare. The plan was a 1" center strip of mahogany stain. I used blue painter's tape on the top and bottom but it bled through and just didn't look as sharp as I wanted. Sanding out that stain was a real pain, so I ended up staining the entire thing mahogany. I was using Minwax stain and don't have any experience with the unicorn stain, though.
They have a array of super cool
Colors. I was thinking for the strip using Vaseline for no bleed through ? Maybe I’ll test on a off cut shell.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good idea, that may work. I didn't research how to do it well enough and it didn't look good.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good idea, that may work. I didn't research how to do it well enough and it didn't look good.
I’m just going off of dyeing shoes lol at least for not getting dye on the sole you coat in Vaseline. Maybe it’ll work with wood. But that unicorn spit brand has some very cool colors