Stan Lynch - Facebook Live Chat - Saturday, May 30th - 2pm ET

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As some of you know, I've been doing Facebook Live chats to help break up the monotony and this Saturday, May 30th at 2pm ET I'll be joined by my old pal Stan Lynch, original drummer for Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. I recall there being a lot of Stan fans here, so hopefully you can join the conversation on Saturday.

It will be on my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/john.dechristopher 2pm ET.

Hope to see you there!
John

Reaction score
Great job John, these are always fun to watch, now I just need to figure out how to submit a question. I actually signed up for Facebook just for this! I tried to ask a question via the "chat" screen, but I didn't see it on the screen. Oh well.

I could listen to Stan talk about drumming all day, when is part 2 (and 3?)

Keep 'em coming!
Mark

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
not to start a dust-up,BUT...when Stan was shown the door by Tom,the "Heartbreakers" stopped sounding like "a BAND" to me...Steve Ferrone brought a whole nuther dynamic and took the "edge" off of Petty's music...but I guess that's what he wanted...lots of midtempo 1 & 3+2 & 4

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great job John, these are always fun to watch, now I just need to figure out how to submit a question. I actually signed up for Facebook just for this! I tried to ask a question via the "chat" screen, but I didn't see it on the screen. Oh well.

I could listen to Stan talk about drumming all day, when is part 2 (and 3?)

Keep 'em coming!
Mark
Thanks Mark. Sorry you weren't able to post your question. It's hard to keep track of them, but Stan kept it moving along and lively. He's one of favorite people.

I appreciate you tuning in.

John

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed it. He sure is... Yes, he’s still in St. Augustine.
Cool! I used to go there regularly on vacation. I could have sworn I saw him in the early 2000s in front of me at a 7-11 near the beach. I recognized him as a drummer, but couldn't place him at the time. I remember that he wasn't a scrawny guy, if it was indeed Stan.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Loved it, thanks for posting, John! Best 90 minutes I've spent in a long time.

Dan

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Excellent interview. Stan Lynch has long been a favorite drummer of mine. All of those classic hits and that sound!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Excellent interview. Stan Lynch has long been a favorite drummer of mine. All of those classic hits and that sound!

When I was young (and naive) back in the 80's, I absolutely hated that big fat snare sound Stan got. I came from the AVH, Bonham, Mitchell sounding drums and that big fat sound did not jive with me. Of course as I matured and opened my mind quite a bit, I realized that Stan's sound was what needed to be on those tunes. Steve Ferone is a great drummer and I actually saw him with Clapton in 1990, which was great. I'm just not as much of a fan of his playing with Petty as I realized that the laid back lazy feel, fat sound of the drums is what works the best with Petty. I have seen several interviews with Stan and I have lots of respect for his playing and what he has done.

Trey Gray

Pro
Reaction score
Duuuude!!!!! Crazy good....the "P" word...great great stuff....hope you're planning on keeping these coming. Stay safe old friend.

Cheers and blessings, Trey