Stan Lynch Gear

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am currently involved a Tom Petty tribute,I know he used Tama a lot of the time.Looks like he gen used a 12 13 16 22 set up.

Here is the only thing I found on line,

http://www.drummagazine.com/gear/post/time-capsule-1984-custom-tama-imperialstar/

It looks like he may have used a Imperialstar or a black late 70's Superstar with the Rogers looking beavertail lugs.

I have a black Cortex Luddy S/L kit that will work.

Does anyone know if he played something besides Tama?

The silver sparkle kit was inspired from Mitch Mitchell's Hendrix era kit.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In addition to the Tama, I've read that Lynch favored Ludwig snares (esp. Black Beauties) and Zildjian Ks.

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Starting around 34:25 the camera stays on Stan for awhile. Good lesson on how to play that song correctly. Thanks for posting that.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have the MD with him in it (after TP) and he said he did all that stuff with a 6.5 BB snare.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love Stan's playing on all those TP albums and no one will ever capture the mojo he had with that band. After seeing the TP documentary a few years back, I was stunned to hear how much grief the poor guy had to put up with throughout all those years. I always thought his groove was silky smooth with a great Drum sound to boot. Little did I know they always treated him like he sucked! What a travesty and injustice.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yup. His specific feel and sound was a big part of the Heartbreakers up until he left. It was something unique.

As great a player as Steve Ferrone is--and he can probably play rings around Lynch technically--his sound in the mix is not as distinctive as Lynch's. It's a little more generic to me.

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone.@Doof,yeah on breakdown Stan went kinda lefty on us.

If you watch the Sound City Doc there is a section on there with interviews with TP, about the recording of damn the torpedoes,The Producer Jimmy Iovine did not like Stan for the recording and they replaced him with a few studio pro's,but that wasn't working either,so they brought Stan back.

On a side note they were having trouble getting Refugee together,which was earmarked as the big single.Jim Keltner was recordring there also and was seen standing outside with a shaker,they ended up using his idea and that was the missing ingredient.

There are other songs afterward that use the shaker,mixed as hot as or hotter than the hats and ride cymbal,Mary Janes Last Dance comes to mind.

73Rogers

Reaction score
You can buy one of his kits here:

I always remember him playing the 4 piece kit with the huge (14x14?) mounted tom.
See it here :45 in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Treviso1 said:
I love Stan's playing on all those TP albums and no one will ever capture the mojo he had with that band. After seeing the TP documentary a few years back, I was stunned to hear how much grief the poor guy had to put up with throughout all those years. I always thought his groove was silky smooth with a great Drum sound to boot. Little did I know they always treated him like he sucked! What a travesty and injustice.
Stan's problem was his time, according to producer Jimmy Iovine, he was a "little floopy" in the studio. Certainly Jimmy seems full of himself so perhaps he had a problem wtih Stan's ego as well

Stan's problem with Tom was a clash of Egos (both Stan's and Tom's)

I love Stan's playing, but when Ferrone plays the band has, IMO, much more power and drive. As far as iconic drumming with Petty, listen to Wildflowers and tell me that album would sound that great with Stan - cause it wouldn't. Ferrone kills that album and Echo.

carl1969

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had read that he preferred larger bass drums because he was really tall.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I had the issue of MD with Stan with interview and pictures from after his dismissal from the Heartbreakers. The set showed 90's era Zildjian Ks and was if I remember a superstar Tama set with 24" Kick, I believe he said the full kit was 8 10 12 13 14 standard size toms and 16 floor. Also remember him saying he used the 6.5 black beauty. I must of got rid of the issue couldn't find it so I could be wrong on the size of the toms, going from memory, but do remember the 24" for sure.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Paradiddle said:
Stan's problem was his time, according to producer Jimmy Iovine, he was a "little floopy" in the studio. Certainly Jimmy seems full of himself so perhaps he had a problem wtih Stan's ego as well
Stan's problem with Tom was a clash of Egos (both Stan's and Tom's)

I love Stan's playing, but when Ferrone plays the band has, IMO, much more power and drive. As far as iconic drumming with Petty, listen to Wildflowers and tell me that album would sound that great with Stan - cause it wouldn't. Ferrone kills that album and Echo.
Lynch was integral in putting Petty on the map - those career hits in the beginning couldn't 've happened without his part .

With him they all " killed"

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru
Reaction score
I want to know how the TP tribute guys play "You Got Lucky". Lots of overdubbing of hi-hats and choked crash cymbals that really made the song IMO.

I've always kind of viewed Stan as a 1 up 1 down guy with that mounted tom being way larger than anything I would feel comfortable playing. :)

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
tnsquint said:
I want to know how the TP tribute guys play "You Got Lucky". Lots of overdubbing of hi-hats and choked crash cymbals that really made the song IMO.

I've always kind of viewed Stan as a 1 up 1 down guy with that mounted tom being way larger than anything I would feel comfortable playing. :icon_smile:
Here's a cut of me. I do choke the crash most of the time

Big Jangle doing You Got Lucky

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw them in a small club around '76-'77. Stan had a 4 piece with that huge mounted tom. I thought it was a floor tom!
Thinking back, that must have been one of the first "power" toms that I had seen. The beginning of the trend perhaps
Anyway, for me he was the guy. He was a big part of their sound, and when he was out, so went that.