Stan Lynch Gear

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru
Reaction score
Nice playing Dan. I was thinking about how I would play that. One idea was pretty much what you did. I think incorporating the choked crash is critical. I also thought it would be interesting to either; a.) incorporate part of the hi-hat as a track if one had a really good FOH engineer or b.) incorporate the entire hi-hat as a track if one had a mediocre engineer. Either way you work in the corresponding hi-hat openings on the and of two as well as three and still have your hands available to play the simple, but iconic "one" and the "and of three" flans on toms. Regardless, that is just my mind musing about. You played great. Not that it is a surprise or anything.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have the Tom Petty documentary DVD (running down a dream?) And I remember on there they talk about getting the drum sound for refugee. The sound guy said to Stan, "your drum sound is crap cause your drums are crap", so they went shopping for a new kit.
I'm guessing that's the tamas.

I'm earlier footage I think he's playing on some ludwigs.. So basically the sound engineer told Lynch his classic ludwigs were crap?

Dan Dakabin Drums

Reaction score
but when Ferrone plays the band has, IMO, much more power and drive. As far as iconic drumming with Petty, listen to Wildflowers and tell me that album would sound that great with Stan - cause it wouldn't. Ferrone kills that album and Echo.
[/QUOTE]

Yeh I agree. Lynch's contribution was crucial to the bands sound. But, we shouldn't forget the role engineers and production choices have in shaping drum sounds heard on record. Yakus and Iovine had a different approach to recording drums than Jeff Lynne, as did Rick Rubin and then Ryan Ulyate. Steve Ferrone is an incredible groove player who makes every band he plays in sounds great. All of his work with TP and HB, to me, is outstanding. Just my 2cents worth. The Heartbreakers in all versions were superb in my book. Every album was a gem.

Targalx

Reaction score
I'm earlier footage I think he's playing on some ludwigs.. So basically the sound engineer told Lynch his classic ludwigs were crap?
Yeah, that could’ve really been the case. I’ve owned a set of classic Ludwigs which looked cool and had all kinds of vintage vibe, but in the end, both tom shells were out of round and the edges were dead. Tried them for a recording session and they sounded like crap. Had to go borrow a buddy’s Tama Granstar to do the session.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Stan is one of my favorite drummers and humans. He's a very dear friend. Truly one of the most unsung and underrated drummers ever. With a feel like no one else...

I interviewed Stan when I was writing for the UK drum magazine "Vintage Drums Legendary Sounds" and we got into all his gear (drums, cymbals etc) going back to the beginning of TP and the Heartbreakers. We did the interview in the spring of 2018 and it came out I believe in the summer of 2018, so it's pretty recent all things considered. Now that the magazine is no more, I can post it. Hope you all enjoy it!

page1image53168160

page1image53094144

page1image53146416

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rats! I couldn't upload the pdfs because they're too large, so I copied them, but I don't think the pages are legible... :evil:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Stan played on most of the hits, right? I guess except for Wildflowers (which I do like). Even that was years ago...1992?

Part of the charm of a rock and roll band is that it isn’t perfection. Could cite many examples here.

If you want a perfect record, go hire studio guys. I find it more of a challenge to have a loose (imperfect) approach, but those are the sounds I’m drawn to more now. CCR was loosey goosey...not perfect. But wonderful.

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have the Tom Petty documentary DVD (running down a dream?) And I remember on there they talk about getting the drum sound for refugee. The sound guy said to Stan, "your drum sound is crap cause your drums are crap", so they went shopping for a new kit.
I'm guessing that's the tamas.

Could have been bad tuning, old heads. Who knows. Any drum not properly tuned well can sound like junk...and in the studio...I can only imagine that some of the engineers can be the picky of pickiness.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
The changes at this site have been for shite... I can't upload any of my pictures either. The old site worked much better and it allowed me to upload some nice, hi-res pictures. So much for progress...

dale w miller

Reaction score
Could have been bad tuning, old heads. Who knows. Any drum not properly tuned well can sound like junk...and in the studio...I can only imagine that some of the engineers can be the picky of pickiness.

I always Lynch’s drums sounded flat, like he might as well played on pillows. I guess that was the sound of 70’s though. I dislike most of those sounds besides Bonham and various punk records.

ncdrumr

Reaction score
Does anybody else remember a big double-page Tama ad from way back, probably late 1980s? It featured the setups of a bunch of touring drummers. The ad might have been focused on Imperialstars, but I'm not sure. I've googled a bit looking for the ad, but I can't find it. It had Lynch, Frank Beard, Gil Moore, Liberty Devitto, the guys in 38 Special, etc. Anyway, it seems to me that Lynch's setup included a 26" bass drum. Am I mistaken?

ncdrumr

Reaction score
Thanks... I’m going to fool with it when I get home and hopefully be able to post the interview. I think people will enjoy it. Stay tuned!

Depending what version of Acrobat you have, you might be able to do file/save as other/reduced size PDF. That compresses them and might make them small enough to post. Good luck.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I always Lynch’s drums sounded flat, like he might as well played on pillows. I guess that was the sound of 70’s though. I dislike most of those sounds besides Bonham and various punk records.
I hear ya. I tend to like a more lively sound. But there might be times when a more muffled sound can be cool too. I’m thinking the engineers had some control over it at that time. By the time Steve came around, the drums were more open sounding.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does anybody else remember a big double-page Tama ad from way back, probably late 1980s? It featured the setups of a bunch of touring drummers. The ad might have been focused on Imperialstars, but I'm not sure. I've googled a bit looking for the ad, but I can't find it. It had Lynch, Frank Beard, Gil Moore, Liberty Devitto, the guys in 38 Special, etc. Anyway, it seems to me that Lynch's setup included a 26" bass drum. Am I mistaken?
You're mistaken. It was a 24. And get this... it was only 14" in diameter! ;) If Tama listed it as 26" they were mistaken.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I hear ya. I tend to like a more lively sound. But there might be times when a more muffled sound can be cool too. I’m thinking the engineers had some control over it at that time. By the time Steve came around, the drums were more open sounding.
The Engineer and Producer had all the control at that time. Stan's drums were way more open sounding by the end of his tenure with the Heartbreakers.
Stan's drums sounded flat? Really? They made three records in the 70s - the third one, "Damn The Torpedos" released in 1979, incorporated a pretty revolutionary drum sound. Far from flat sound sounding IMO. "Even The Losers" and "Don't Do Me Like That" were on that record. Check out "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" and "The Waiting" from 1981 and tell me his drums sound flat, like he's playing on pillows.

Last edited:

jb78

Reaction score
On 70s stuff, my understanding is that the drums technically were what many would describe as "flat" in that they were tuned low. However, I think it was just a means to an end for the production and effecting that would be added. To my ears, the end result is anything but flat. Some of my favorite drum sounds ever! I'd also love to read the article Johnny D has tried to post.