Stan Lynch Gear

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Engineer and Producer had all the control at that time. Stan's drums were way more open sounding by the end of his tenure with the Heartbreakers.

Stan's drums sounded flat? Really? They made three records in the 70s - the third one, "Damn The Torpedos" released in 1979, incorporated a pretty revolutionary drum sound. Far from flat sound sounding IMO. "Even The Losers" and "Don't Do Me Like That" were on that record. Check out "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" and "The Waiting" from 1981 and tell me his drums sound flat, like he's playing on pillows.
Yes, they sound flat. I know "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" and they sound just like that. The only song I can think of is not to me is “Don’t Come Around Here No More”. Even then it’s a similar sound with a bunch of effects on it.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, they sound flat. I know "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" and they sound just like that. The only song I can think of is not to me is “Don’t Come Around Here No More”. Even then it’s a similar sound with a bunch of effects on it.
Dale, I think we're hearing things differently. "Don't Come Around Here" is a drum machine until the coda. The last minute of the song is Stan playing acoustic drums.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
tough crowd. Whose drums on any top ten multi million selling record at that time weren't flat ? Steward Copeland is maybe the only guy, which is one of the things that made him special.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
tough crowd. Whose drums on any top ten multi million selling record at that time weren't flat ? Steward Copeland is maybe the only guy, which is one of the things that made him special.
Copeland’s sound is definitely live and open.

Here’s a comparison, same drummer in the same band in a different decade, Steve Smith & Journey.

- live

- flat

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Copeland’s sound is definitely live and open.

Here’s a comparison, same drummer in the same band in a different decade, Steve Smith & Journey.

- live

- flat
Again, I think we're hearing things very differently. Stewart's drum sound on the first two Police records are not what I'd consider live and open. Very "70s" sounding. He didn't get "his sound" until "Ghost In The Machine" in 1981.

I don't get the Steve Smith comparison? Steve is widely recognized for his gigantic drum sound with Journey in the 80s. I dunno...

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Again, I think we're hearing things very differently. Stewart's drum sound on the first two Police records are not what I'd consider live and open. Very "70s" sounding. He didn't get "his sound" until "Ghost In The Machine" in 1981.

I don't get the Steve Smith comparison? Steve is widely recognized for his gigantic drum sound with Journey in the 80s. I dunno...
If you cannot hear the difference in the two Journey songs, I don’t know what else say. I bow out.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you cannot hear the difference in the two Journey songs, I don’t know what else say. I bow out.
I can hear the difference between the two songs. I understand the point you’re trying to make. There’s much more involved in what makes the two Journey songs sound different. The main factor being compression. Steve always had a big, open, natural sound with Journey largely due to the great engineers and producers they used in the 80s, though Steve himself, knows how to get a great drum sound.

By the time they recorded Trial By Fire the recording process had evolved to engineers and producers using lots of compression which is a big reason why the two records sound differently. But anyway, your point is taken.