header.nohb.html

Stan Lynch Isolated Drum Track For "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around"

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Awesome!

One of my earliest influences when learning how to construct an interesting part while keeping it simple and grooving. He's a master at "songwriter's drumming", imo...

Never really noticed the funky kick pattern he throws down on the outro. Porcaro would play some great stuff on outros as well...

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
A couple of months I posted about Lynch’s wild recollections on the awesome “I’d Hit That” podcast. The talk explored the drum kit he burned at the beach and the time he tried to attack a Sex Pistol.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Reaction score
I hear a few differences between the drums on the album and the isolated track posted. Not convinced they are the same take, although it doesn't matter much. Some different fills and open/close hi hat phrases, among other things.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear a few differences between the drums on the album and the isolated track posted. Not convinced they are the same take, although it doesn't matter much. Some different fills and open/close hi hat phrases, among other things.

Interesting. I didn’t do a comparison. It may be a different take if it is indeed different.

I know this song very well - one of my favorite SL drum tracks, and I played it in a cover band many moons ago and played Stan’s part as close to the record as I could because it’s so good. Funny that years later Russ Kunkel did the same thing when he toured with Stevie Nicks.

But my point is, as I listened to the isolated track, the fills and part sound exactly as I thought they should. So I don’t know… But this isolated track sounds glorious to me whether it’s the final take or an outtake.

Jay-Dee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this John. This always gets turned up when it comes on, I have always loved the song and the drum part, especially the ride bell counts back in after the stops, just brilliant. Having listened to it many, many times over the years I think Cauldronics might be onto something with his comment about the take, I thought it was slightly different too.

Saying that though, sometimes our minds think they see and hear things a certain way which ultimately turns out to be wrong.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Playing in a TP Trib band, I've played this for years and was amazed at how different it is from what I play. The kick pattern in every verse is different. Also interesting the it was sent to John in Audacity. Love stuff like this. Stan's solid as a rock and plays for the song for sure. Thanks for posting this John!

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love how you hear him naturally change the dynamics for her vocals. He and Benmont were sympatico. Petty was great but like Miles should be remembered for assembling a stellar ensemble. All those guys wrote and contributed. SL has hits and Grammys of his own. So does Campbell.

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As a lad, there were a few songs all over FM radio with a prominent bell sound that always caught my attention and surely influenced my affinity for it. This track was the first that I genuinely took notice of. Still love it today.