Standing in my go-to pawn shop lately. Is this a 50s or 60s stamp?

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Have watched this come down from $220.... I’m thinking I might offer $50....
I’m leaning towards 60s stamp, but admittedly not an expert.

What say you all?

Attachments

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks like a 60's stamp to me. For 50's you'd normally need "Avedis" centered or a large stamp at 1-7/8" tall. Is that an 18 or a 20?

Home job on the rivets. Last one of these I had was an 18" with 12 rivets - 1960's stamp - medium thin at 1450 gm. A very nice crash. I got $90 for it. Good luck if you can get it for much under $75.

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I can see 60s. It’s an 18”. Seems thin as the stamp can be seen from the back. It’s bendy.... I offered $60. They chuckled and clucked amongst themselves and made noises that sounded like they were saying they paid $100 for it. I clucked and chuckled back, and said if they had they needed a new cymbal buyer. Tried to play the rivet job as a major detractor. No soap. They’re sticking to the current tag. I left it there. But I’ll
check again....

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Yes the trademark stamp looks 60s. It might be the 1.5" tall version, but I'm not sure enough from the info I've got. The bell lathing suggests it is early 60s (finer tonal grooves like the 1950s cymbals). The 5" bell (small cup die) versus the 5.5" special cup suggests it is either a Ride cymbal or from before the use of the special cup on Crashes and Crash Rides. But what cymbals get what bell die isn't 100% predictive.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
60's cymbal is my call also. /\ /\ = expert
rivet job not to my liking, way too close to the edge, especially if using as a crash, also way to many, dries it up a bunch
do you like the sound? If so, I'd stick at $60
If you find you don't like it, I bet it's a tough resale. Hey, you're seeing that first hand.

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
60's cymbal is my call also. /\ /\ = expert
rivet job not to my liking, way too close to the edge, especially if using as a crash, also way to many, dries it up a bunch
do you like the sound? If so, I'd stick at $60
If you find you don't like it, I bet it's a tough resale. Hey, you're seeing that first hand.
Yeah, I walked. If it’s still there next week I’ll try again. Hard to tell how it sounds wirh all those damned rivets. They’d be the first things to go.

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Went back last week and the cymbal was still there. Wasn’t surprised. The store was empty (it never is) and a fellow immediately came over to see if I needed anything. I told him I had been looking at that cymbal for a month and had offered $60 three weeks ago. He said he’d check. I said “wait. Today my offer is $50”. His shoulders slumped.

He talked to his manager. More audible conference chatter “you see we aren’t even at 5% 5%!” After three or four minutes he wandered over. “I’m sorry. We just can’t do it”. Told him I’d come back next week with $40 and left.

As I was starting my car he came boiling out the door of the store waving. “Sir, I’m really sorry to chase you down, but if you’d be willing to put it on layaway we could do $50. Last day of the month and our layaway quota is short”. I really didn’t want to. Thought about offering $45 to lay it away, but I was already being kinda dickish about the purchase. So... looks like I got it for $50 out the door. I won’t get to hit it until next week, but I will get to hit it.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That was a great price imo. Well done. I guess they must have paid less than $30 for it.

I've had a couple similar 1960's 18" non-factory sizzles with 10-12 rivets and had plenty of interest in them via CL. Sweet spot on those is 1450-1575 grams in order to crash/ride 'em. But even up to 1680 gms they are formidable rivet rides with some crashability. Last sizzle I had was a 1950's 18" at 1675 gm with 6 rivets. It was a beautiful fully original cymbal in all respects...but just a tad harsh in tone for what I was looking for....sold it to fit someone's classic jazz/early rock era kit. It's replacement just showed up yesterday....an 18" trans stamp weighing 1580 gms that's exactly the sound I needed....dark and dry ping, faster crash, and a "different clang" than the 50's small stamps or 60's cymbals. It's already drilled for rivets so all I have to do is add some. Too bad it has a big key hole and numerous smaller flea bites which doesn't appear to me to have altered the sound any. If not for all that it would have cost me 3X as much. Still looking for the perfect vintage A 18 and 20" sizzles....I've tried several. Maybe this will be the 18" I need?

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Got ‘r home. 1249g sans rivets. “Extremely light” by budsteindotcom calculator. One slight edge bend I missed in my first three inspections :blink:
Crashes when you walk past it too closely.... I figured this for a small-town-to-big-town CL flip, but it might stay here a bit. Also, given it’s been (poorly) drilled for rivets I may just polish the whole thing... Jury’s out yet....

Attachments

Last edited:

Latest posts