Stanley Spector...anybody study with him?

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cant seem to find anything substantial on Google.His approach to teaching drumset ruffled some pretty "important " feathers,especially his take on the"percussion ensemble". Amusing and thought provoking. Benny K.

budrock

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No but I sure do remember those ads on Modern Drummer years ago. I think someone on here has info on him. There was a thread about it a while ago. It could have been from the DCI forum though.

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
I too (am old enough!) to remember the ads in MD and have often wondered just what exactly was the system that Spector's ad claimed was so revolutionary in its approach. Google searches have yielded mentions from former students but none of the ones I've checked go into any specific detail as to what exactly Spector taught. There is also nothing on YouTube or in Wikipedia. I believe Spector passed away sometime in the eighties. Unless some former student out there comes forward and documents their experiences it would seem that little about Spector's work is ever going to bubble up to the surface.

SteveAdleman

Reaction score
I studied with him through his home study course for a few years in the eighties ( he died in 88 I think) and I also studied the lessons with one of his advanced students, Rick Reed after his death, and I also went to nashville in 2000 a few times to take a few lessons in person with Rick. I never studied with stanley in person but his lessons were heavy. It was amazing how much better I sounded after studying the first few months, it put me on another level, to where I was one of the top drummers around. I really need to go back and review his material, that's how i found this thread, I was looking for other students of his. stanleys wife is still alive and I was corresponding with her for awhile but I've lost touch with her lately. He was for real, those crazy ads were absolutely honest, he even offered a no questions asked money back guarantee, which was required for him to do business through the mail. try getting that from a drum teacher or drum book these days!
any questions just ask

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I studied with Stanley in NYC, around '84-'86.

Stanley Spector had many good ideas about improving one's playing. Both a general philosophy, and detailed instructions.

A few years ago I prepared an eight page "Brief Overview" of my time with Stanley. It's in PDF format. Though of course very condensed and incomplete, it does have a few specific notated examples.

I'd be happy to make it available to the drumming community. But, I'm sort of "technologically challenged", so I don't quite know how to do it...can you embed music notation on Wikapediawhatever?

If any of you can help, or are interested, pm me and I'll send it to you.

kb

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks alot for responding,guys. I did receive an introductory cassette in the mail thru his ads in MD back in 198?, but never followed up.I do remember that relaxation and the upward movement of the stick was a crucial part of his method as well as relaxation and its relation to tempo fluctuations. I'm wondering what, if any, connection there is with Freddy Gruber's philosophy of the note played as being only the final result of the physical motion.They are(were) both from the NYC area and did the chicken come before the egg or what? Maybe they were pals. Gonna do some detective-i-zing. Thanks again. Benny K.

SteveAdleman

Reaction score
I think Stanley and Gruber may have both studied with G.L Stone, I know stanley did or they may have gotten it form Billy Gladstone, I think that may be where they got the similar physical approach. He(gladstone) studied some piano with Madame Challoff (mother of Serge)in boston and I think that is where the physical thing came from, at least that's who introduced it to the jazz community from what Rick reed has told me.there are also references to her in kenny werners book "effortless mastery"

Kb, I'd like to get a copy of that paper from you some time, my email is adleman2@illinois.edu if you want to send it there
cheers!

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've sent a copy of "A Brief Overview of Stanley Spector" to franke (who pm'd me) and Steve Adleman...might be nice if you acknowledge receipt, and let me know if it opens and displays properly...

There may indeed be a connection to George L Stone, and also to Madame Chaloff...there is certainly a similarity to Kenny Werner's "Effortless Mastery."

I don't know anything about Gruber...

kb

SteveAdleman

Reaction score
thanks for the pdf, kb, that is a good explanation of some of the basics of his material, but I have three years of the home study course, (i think there was at least four years of the course on tape) and I've never seen any of the "six elements" rock material at all. maybe that was in the fourth year, there were some funk and salsa beats in the third year, or maybe there was some material that was not included in the home study course, it seems that his private students were treated a bit differently than the home study students in terms of the sequence of materials, but after the first year of the home study course which was very detailed as far as procedures, after that the lessons were essentially just recordings of private lessons in his studio which I transcribed.
I never really "got" the arm weight thing through the home study course, that's what I worked on with Rick Reed in person in nashville, I worked on the material that "way" for about four years and had a pretty good handle on it, then I entered Univ of Illinois, where they discouraged that approach, had me working on the riley books, latin etc. I really dying to get back to stanleys material and I would like some more detailed info on working through the six elements (Ie:things he used to contrast them, fill ins, permutations etc.)

ALLANCPRICE

Reaction score
I just became a member of this forum. I took lessons with Stanley from 1955 to 1973 weekly with occasional breaks for college. He was a terrific teacher. My first or second lesson he showed me the brush beat for jazz. I barely new how to hold the brushes. He had me sing "brush paint a brush"as I played. He taught me to sweep the left hand from right to left while I played time with the right. Soon he added the high hat on the two and four along with four four on the bass drum.Stan didn't give you much in the way of written instructions just a page of notes about some of the lessons. He had me playing time with the brushes to medium tempo Basie records. He wanted you to feel the beat. He taught me very early to focus on the bass player. He had me sing "chang chang chu chang" with sticks and a triplet feel on the ride cymbal along with medium tempo records. I also worked with "Stick Control", "Haskall Harr" And Jim Chapin's "Advanced Technique for Coordinated Independence". Stan didn't believe that rudiments where important to playing jazz . He felt swinging the band with steady time was the job of the drummer. He taught me to improvise solos,play kick beats and fillins always with the goal of steady time as the critical factor. I started in Boston but eventually flew to New York for monthly lessons. I think up until 1973 I had taken the most lessons with Stan of all his students.
I just turned 70, play jazz weekly with a band and am retired from the retail business.

Regards

Allan Price

Lee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Allan:

Greetings and welcome to DFO!

Uhhh...416...you are kidding right? You DO know that PHIL Spector is going to prison and that Stanley has passed on, right?

DonS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In 1977 I worked as a production assistant for a corporate film maker in the same building on 58th St. Stanley Spector lived and taught out of. If only I had known then what I know about him, I rode the elevator many times with him, real nice guy,
one of those easy grounders through the infield of your life.
Regards
Don

thedrumshed

Reaction score
Hi veryone!

I'm studying music pedagogy (percussion teacher) in Sweden and I am now writing my final essay (bachelor) about drum teaching methology: what impact does practicing have on onces musicianship and to which degree is it the teacher's responsability contra the student's?

I would so appreciate to have contact with you who have had lessons with Stanley or Rick (and others?). It would be even better if we could have a Skype interview about your thoughts of his approach.

I hope to hear from someone soon (don't have so much time), reply here or email: info@drumshed.se

Cheers /Christer

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I still have an LP from him that I got around 1960. Chang chang chang chu chang! Really opened up my ride cymbal playing. And made it feel good.

bigbeat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just looked at this thread from 2009, because atomicmorganic revived it, and I still know nothing about Spector's method. Can someone briefly explain what he taught?

thedrumshed

Reaction score
SteveAdleman said:
thanks for the pdf, kb, that is a good explanation of some of the basics of his material, but I have three years of the home study course, (i think there was at least four years of the course on tape) and I've never seen any of the "six elements" rock material at all. maybe that was in the fourth year, there were some funk and salsa beats in the third year, or maybe there was some material that was not included in the home study course, it seems that his private students were treated a bit differently than the home study students in terms of the sequence of materials, but after the first year of the home study course which was very detailed as far as procedures, after that the lessons were essentially just recordings of private lessons in his studio which I transcribed.
I never really "got" the arm weight thing through the home study course, that's what I worked on with Rick Reed in person in nashville, I worked on the material that "way" for about four years and had a pretty good handle on it, then I entered Univ of Illinois, where they discouraged that approach, had me working on the riley books, latin etc. I really dying to get back to stanleys material and I would like some more detailed info on working through the six elements (Ie:things he used to contrast them, fill ins, permutations etc.)
Hi Allan! Who is Rick Reed, and does he teach Stanley's methods in particular or just some of it? Wanting to get in contact with teachers who have an approach of being in the music and not practicing rudiments as a sport for my final pedagogy (bachelor) essay as a drum teacher student. I really would want more of your thoughts about these methods and what you get out from them, through a Skype interview or questions by mail.

thedrumshed

Reaction score
atomicmorganic said:
I still have an LP from him that I got around 1960. Chang chang chang chu chang! Really opened up my ride cymbal playing. And made it feel good.
You got to love the lessons through an LP :) I have one on Basel/Swiss drumming. Any chance you could send me examples from it as mp3? And if you would like to be part of my Bachelor science project and answer some questions by email or a survey (later on).