Stanley Spector...anybody study with him?

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
thedrumshed said:
Hi veryone!

I'm studying music pedagogy (percussion teacher) in Sweden and I am now writing my final essay (bachelor) about drum teaching methology: what impact does practicing have on onces musicianship and to which degree is it the teacher's responsability contra the student's?

I would so appreciate to have contact with you who have had lessons with Stanley or Rick (and others?). It would be even better if we could have a Skype interview about your thoughts of his approach.

I hope to hear from someone soon (don't have so much time), reply here or email: info@drumshed.se

Cheers /Christer
Christer, I sent a pdf to info@drumshed.se

Did you receive it?

kb

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yea, post the .pdf here it's easy enough and then it will be here for posterity's sake for anybody that is search for information on the methodology.

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay, I hadn't realized I could post a multi page document.

I should add that there was a former student of Stanley's who I believe is actually using his name to teach. Sorry, I don't know who or where.

Also, from the little I've seen of Jim Blakley's (sp?) work, it bears striking similarities to Stanley Spector's.

Attachments

thedrumshed

Reaction score
kb said:
Okay, I hadn't realized I could post a multi page document.

I should add that there was a former student of Stanley's who I believe is actually using his name to teach. Sorry, I don't know who or where.

Also, from the little I've seen of Jim Blakley's (sp?) work, it bears striking similarities to Stanley Spector's.
Yes I believe you mean John O'Reilly? I've tried to get in contact with him.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
kb, Thanks for posting the document up (for posterity sake too!).
There are some solid basics in there that are useful to structure a lesson plan.

thedrumshed

Reaction score
atomicmorganic said:
I still have an LP from him that I got around 1960. Chang chang chang chu chang! Really opened up my ride cymbal playing. And made it feel good.
If you by any chance are having thoughts about transfering the LP into mp3's, I'm really interested.

drmguy

Reaction score
Hi kb,
looks like im a little late joining the party here, but just saw your post on Jim Blackley and your pdf. I studies with Jim many years ago and started seeing him again recently.
Jim is now 90 and just last month retired from teaching at his studio. His books are available from his website and do bear an uncanny resemblance to Stanleys work.
When I saw your pdf., I was very surprised.

I would like to continue study in the vein that appears to be Stanleys lineage. Do you know about John O. Reilly? Has he got the real deal on Stanley's lessons?

thanks in advance,

BN

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
drmguy said:
Hi kb,
looks like im a little late joining the party here, but just saw your post on Jim Blackley and your pdf. I studies with Jim many years ago and started seeing him again recently.
Jim is now 90 and just last month retired from teaching at his studio. His books are available from his website and do bear an uncanny resemblance to Stanleys work.
When I saw your pdf., I was very surprised.

I would like to continue study in the vein that appears to be Stanleys lineage. Do you know about John O. Reilly? Has he got the real deal on Stanley's lessons?

thanks in advance,

BN
Please, since you know Jim Blackley personally, find a way to politely ask him about Stanley Spector....who influenced who?

I do know about John O.Reilly. He contacted me on this board some years ago, asking for a copy of my "Brief Overview Of Stanley Spector" pdf. [that must have been before this particular topic, which has my downloadable pdf about seven posts above...]

O.Reilly studied with Spector, and has received a lot of recorded and written materiel from Stanley's widow. Presumably, he also received permission to copywrite Stanley's name, and sell his lessons....I really hope it IS "the real deal."

Stanley Spector deserves to be remembered, his ideas are timeless and applicable to all music.

SteveAdleman

Reaction score
Yes, John O. Riely has re-opened the Stanley Spector School online and has the entire home study course available to study with him. it IS the real deal and the only thing that is different is that John instead of Stan is evaluating the lessons. while the evaluations were valuable as far as keeping you on the right track the majority of the information is contained in the weekly lessons. I believe the intro course is free (or not too costly) but the main course is sort of expensive. but I can tell you that if you get the introductory 6 weeks you will receive his first two books which could actually keep you busy for at least 30 weeks if not more. while this is not exactly like the home study course, it IS his original home study course before he went to cassette tapes and a slightly different presentation of the course. you get his first two books and the accompanying recordings of the original LP's which is at least 30 weekly lessons if you go through both books. there are also substitutions which could extend the lessons even further. eventually all this material is covered in the newer course, but in a different order with other material added throughout. personally I believe that the beginning lessons are the most valuable and produce the most immediate results, even just the first 6 weeks. he knew what he was doing when he guaranteed results in the first 6 weeks of lessons. I'd tell anybodythat is interested to go for it.

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, okay....

Yes, John O.Reilly studied extensively with Stanley Spector, and came to some agreement with Stanley's widow to use Stanley's material, and his name.

I've just reviewed my 2006 "Stanley Spector v1.2" which is available as a pdf download above. I stand by it. Interestingly, the presentation of "L R R as a Running Patern" which John has on his web site, is not at all the same as the way Stanley taught it to me, as you can see if you look at my pdf.

Regarding the very odd similarities between Jim Blackely and S Spector, there's been no clarification on who influenced who....really hard to figure out; if you believed in somebody's ideas so much, why wouldn't you say who's ideas they were....

Pete M

Reaction score
I'm planning on creating a web page or blog dedicated to Stanley Spector and his teaching and former students It's a project I hope to get to this summer. I'll post here when I get it finished
I studied w Stanley for a number of years from 68-73. I went every week and I have all of the notes and hand out sheets of his lessons. I use his method extensively when improvising and creating musical ideas. Stanley’s approach to keeping time - counting out loud and picturing the notes has been very valuable to me over these many years. I am glad that his method lives on.