Stanton Moore video: How to Tune Your SNARE Drum

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I did a search before posting this to make sure it had not already been posted. To my surprise it hadn't.

Bottom line up front: there are as many ways to tune a snare drum as there are experienced drummers, but this video has some techniques that I had never encountered.

Disclaimer: I am not sure that I agree with everything in the video, but am not writing anything off until I've tried for myself.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been using an analog tune bot - the one with the dial and it makes it a lot easier than trying to tune by feel/ear, for me at least. Lining up batter and reso tensions with a tool is way easier also and if that reso doesn't line up with the batter it might sound like a bad gong.

The tape on the underside is interesting but I like to be able to remove it when I want a trashy 'bong' sound sometimes and gaffer tape is easy to pull away from a coated head unlike duct tape.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m not a big fan of his tuning method but his drums do always sound great. He’s awesome-he’s like the Bonham of funk. I met him at one of his clinics 20 years ago-super nice guy.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I did a search before posting this to make sure it had not already been posted. To my surprise it hadn't.

Bottom line up front: there are as many ways to tune a snare drum as there are experienced drummers, but this video has some techniques that I had never encountered.

Disclaimer: I am not sure that I agree with everything in the video, but am not writing anything off until I've tried for myself.

All that muffling kills the metallic tone of the drum at high and medium-high tuning, at least when listening with ear buds. Re: brushes on new Ambassador coated heads, I like to wipe them down with a terry cloth towel first. YMMV!

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
All that muffling kills the metallic tone of the drum at high and medium-high tuning, at least when listening with ear buds. Re: brushes on new Ambassador coated heads, I like to wipe them down with a terry cloth towel first. YMMV!
He is using a very thin metal shell, which is guaranteed to resonate, and single flange hoops (which add even more resonation.) I bet he would approach wood shell drums, or the same drum he is using, but with triple-flange or especially die cast hoops very differently.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
He is using a very thin metal shell, which is guaranteed to resonate, and single flange hoops (which add even more resonation.) I bet he would approach wood shell drums, or the same drum he is using, but with triple-flange or especially die cast hoops very differently.
And, I’m not listening live. But, I can say that his snare sound in this video, at all tensions, doesn’t appeal to me. I suspect he tunes his snare side head pretty loose compared to the batter side. I generally like the bottom head pretty tight.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
And, I’m not listening live. But, I can say that his snare sound in this video, at all tensions, doesn’t appeal to me. I suspect he tunes his snare side head pretty loose. I generally like the bottom head pretty tight.
That makes sense. He does second line stuff a lot and the loose snare-side head works best for that.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Love Stanton, but calling not true on the fold in the piece of tape.
I have no opinion about that one way or the other. Haven't tried it. On a different topic, I canceled a trip to Charleston, SC tomorrow based on weather projections. Are you still in Savannah? If so, is tomorrow going to be cold, rainy and icy there?

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Love Stanton, but calling not true on the fold in the piece of tape.
I’ve seen drummers do that on the top side of their drum heads. Didn’t know what the fold was all about. But, I would think that SM has tried it with and without the folds, and he hears a difference.

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I always though the fold was just a way to get more mass with a small footprint, but the fold also makes the piece of tape much stiffer in that direction, which might affect the muffling as well?

bigbeat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Surprisingly, this video did not address the snare side head or the snares. I think the snare side head should be tuned in relation to the batter head, and the snares adjusted until they sound good.