Star Drummer Accused of Embezzling $750,000 from Homeless Children

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
From NBCNews.com:

LOS ANGELES — Robin DiMaggio, a star drummer who has performed with many of the most famous names in music, has been charged with embezzling hundreds of thousands of dollars from a charity concert for homeless and displaced children in the world's conflict zones, prosecutors said.

DiMaggio, 47, of the Woodland Hills neighborhood of Los Angeles, was arrested Friday on a single felony charge of wire fraud. He was released on $40,000 bond and must wear a tracking device pending a preliminary hearing and arraignment next month in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, the U.S. attorney's office said late Monday afternoon.

No court documents were available identifying an attorney for DiMaggio, who has been the music director for several United Nations events and was the drummer and music director for Arsenio Hall's second late-night talk show, which ran for one season on CBS in 2013-14. A phone number for a person listed as his agent was disconnected.

DiMaggio has performed with a wide range of musicians across a variety of musical styles in a career spanning more than 30 years. The music publication All About Jazz described him as "a superior percussionist with a deep appreciation for the world's musical styles."

Among the performers he has worked with are Paul Simon, Diana Ross, Dr. Dre, David Bowie, Jackson Browne, Tupac Shakur, Luther Vandross, Lil Jon, Martina McBride, Daft Punk, Johnny Cash and Ravi Shankar.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-...d-embezzling-750-000-charity-homeless-n946286

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Horrible. I wonder if he got the acts to donate their performances and just pocketed the cash?

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
Let's not convict him in here. I can't take sides from reading an allegation published by a news source. If he did do what he's been charged with doing, it is a despicable act for which he deserves to be prosecuted and punished.

Merlin5

Reaction score
That's a shocking story.
By the way, I saw the name Dimaggio and was thinking, oh, isn't that the famous association with Evans drumheads, but then realised I was getting confused with D'Addario.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My first reaction was " How odd they mention the model of the drums he plays!" I am such a Tama guy...
Sad story though.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As my buddy. Mr. Owl, said, "Whooooo????" His wiki page is impressive, but that's awful if proven!

I didn't see the brand of drums mentioned. He can't be that big a star if he bought
his ex-wife a house worth only $250K!.......

cutaway79

Reaction score
As my buddy. Mr. Owl, said, "Whooooo????" His wiki page is impressive, but that's awful if proven!

I didn't see the brand of drums mentioned. He can't be that big a star if he bought
his ex-wife a house worth only $250K!.......
I'd say that's pretty generous. I wouldn't buy my ex-wife a cup of coffee.

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He’s one of those guys that does a lot of studio work but maybe isn’t that well known. I’ve known his name for a least 20 years or more. He just toured with Live if I’m not mistaken filling in for their guy.

Edit myself that was Robin Diaz

Last edited:

ian.thomas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He gave the money to Tupac for living expenses. Because the cost of living when 'allegedly' dead is expensive.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never would have made that connection. I thought he was a "star" drummer due to his impressive resume......

ian.thomas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Never would have made that connection. I thought he was a "star" drummer due to his impressive resume......
You're correct. Murat was just saying his first impression (from the headline) was that he played Tama Star drums. :)