Star Drums?

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These are MIJ drums made in the 60's by Hoshino Gakki Ten, the Tama drums and Ibanez guitars parent company. Many members here know a whole lot more than me about those so I'll let them comment on wether these are priced right or not.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've never heard of Star Drums. Just came across this listing:

Cool funky drums, but I wouldn’t personally go over $300-$350.

$500...Any info on these?

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Would be nice to be able to see the interiors to be able to gauge quality. Probably luan shells, but possibly with re-rings as well. A lot of these Star drums were actually decent quality and sound great with good heads and tuning. The wrap on these looks really nice as well. Many collectors are starting to turn to these Star instruments because they are still accessible, relatively cheap, sound decent, kinda fun to collect, and have cool wraps.

I have a Star snare with a cool compound throw off, wrapped in Black Diamond Pearl. It's got a funky low tone that sits nice with a lot of old R&B and 70s tunes.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Unless the cymbals are good I would say $200-300. Some may try to convince you they are similar quality to USA built drums from the same era.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Figure $200+ on the cymbals and hardware. That larger Zildjian Edge china cymbal is a decent 1980's with collector demand.
That puts the 4 drums at $300 which is pretty reasonable for a nice condition(?) marine pearl kit of that era. And those are 8 lugged bass, snare, floor tom....top of the line. Many are only 6 luggers.
The chrome looks very nice. Badges are there. The white marine pearl has aged nicely. Bass drum hoops clean with good inlays.

Star is one of the premier brands of the 60's/70's. Their shells eventually morphed into the 9 ply luan shells seen on the 1975-1986 Tama Imperialstars.
Whether lighter shells with re-rings or the thicker Luan shells with no rings - they tend to be well made, heavy duty, and good sounding drums. Finding a WMP Star kit is a plus.

My one concern on this kit is that black coating on the bass drum top. If that was put there to replace a cut out section of messed up WMP wrap, then that puts a big hurt on the kit's value/desirability.
I saw a similar WMP kit on Reverb in the past year bring $450-$500 just for the 4 drums. When WMP ages to that nice creamy yellow color, it's very cool.

My only experience with owning a higher end Star kit is an early 70's Majestic with the thicker luan shells. It sounds pretty darn close to a Slingerland 60's/70's.

Last edited:

RBagg454

Reaction score
Figure $200+ on the cymbals and hardware. That larger Zildjian Edge china cymbal is a decent 1980's with collector demand.
That puts the 4 drums at $300 which is pretty reasonable for a nice condition(?) marine pearl kit of that era. And those are 8 lugged bass, snare, floor tom....top of the line. Many are only 6 luggers.
The chrome looks very nice. Badges are there. The white marine pearl has aged nicely. Bass drum hoops clean with good inlays.

Star is one of the premier brands of the 60's/70's. Their shells eventually morphed into the 9 ply luan shells seen on the 1975-1986 Tama Imperialstars.
Whether lighter shells with re-rings or the thicker Luan shells with no rings - they tend to be well made, heavy duty, and good sounding drums. Finding a WMP Star kit is a plus.

My one concern on this kit is that black coating on the bass drum top. If that was put there to replace a cut out section of messed up WMP wrap, then that puts a big hurt on the kit's value/desirability.
I saw a similar WMP kit on Reverb in the past year bring $450-$500 just for the 4 drums. When WMP ages to that nice creamy yellow color, it's very cool.

My only experience with owning a higher end Star kit is an early 70's Majestic with the thicker luan shells. It sounds pretty darn close to a Slingerland 60's/70's.
Yea, I wondered about that black piece on the bass.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember the shells on the Star kit I owned for a couple of weeks being so thin that you could squeeze them and they looked oval.
And the hardware was weak.
And today they're considered vintage drums and as such collectible, as more of the old MIJ copy stuff (Maxwin, Wesper, etc)

Oh, does this post mean I'm actually both old AND grumpy?!!?

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If that kit has not splits in the wrap and no other issues, they are worth 300-400 without the cymbals. That's a rather blind guess - but an educated guess nonetheless.

RBagg454

Reaction score

I messaged seller, he says they came with that black strip on bass drum....

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
+
+
+
Ringo used a Star mini bop kit here:
under percussion& accessories

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
Unless cymbals nice A's or comparable, price is bit far fetched. (I clicked on link...thats MAYBE $100 in cymbals, so 300-350 tops a realistic price on these) I have this TIME CAPSULE kit (Royal STAR) kit for sale for $350, early non re-ring shells are nice compared to some of that era of MIJ shells....all in all, gotta remember most MIJ kits were lesser (some MUCH LESSER) quality than USA made drums of the time.
1634402077202.png

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Royal Star parallel action chrome heavy steel snare , aside from the badge , became TAMA's legendary King Beat . For those who know, no words are necessary .