Star, SQ2, or Craviotto !!

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hit one DW that I really liked: the knurled nickel over steel. Great looking drum, very unique. I liked the sound at the time, but I would like to hear it again. From what I have seen with DW, their craftsmanship is impeccable, and they generally (to my tastes) make beautiful looking drums. Their sound generally doesn't make me turn my head.

Not a fan of their pedals and hardware. You don't need something heavy enough to demo a house. It's a cymbal stand. It doesn't have to weigh 20 pounds to stay in place.

What I'm really not a fan of is the hype they put into their marketing. As if everything they do is the next great innovation. Let's be honest, it's not. No one in any industry has the next great innovation every time they step up to the plate. Could be my interpretation, but they come off blowing as blowing a lot of not true around. To me, that's disingenuous, and I have a hard time swallowing that.
Agreed on the marketing. I watched a 15-minute minute where John from DW described his trip to Tasmania to find those amazing hardwoods. Not one second in that video was about the sound. It was like an overhyped travelogue. If I want to see that I’ll watch NatGeo; it actually created even more distance between DW and me.

I was initially intrigued by the whole purple heart thing, so I thought I’d dip my toe in the water and buy a snare. It was ok. Nothing more. I just don’t get it.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until you guys played the Dw Maple Mahogany.

I have to admit, it will be hard for even the PHX to concur with that one (the tama bubinga star and sonor signature came close, but didn't cut it for me) The 18'' blew even the 20'' gong drums out of the water and the rest of the drums were killer. Nothing dead in a long shot (although I never had that feeling with the other three regular maple kits and snares either)

I think if someone stumbles up on a dead sounding kit (regardless brand) it more has to do with heads, tuning, space etc).

In regards to hardware. Yamaha still is number one over all.
Maybe maple/mahogany is the answer, who knows.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just moved so far up on my list it’s not even funny :) :)! The Versatus you have on order right now is going to be your favorite snare drum of all time it’s an entirely different animal than what you’ve already received ,, but what you already Received is absolutely fantastic and I’m so happy you love it! But get ready for what’s coming.

We have to take a major step back here, all that matters is sound I repeat all that matters is sound and nothing sounds like a Versatus drum set it is off the freaking charts! I am so lost by your hardware comment, because there is no better hardware in the business and it looks to absolutely live for! The hardware on that drum set is drop alive gorgeous, And as for their pedals , snare stands , cymbal stands , hi hat stands and everything else , they are the best in the business.
Never gonna happen for me with that hardware. If I had a chance to play a Versatus kit and then if I liked it well enough to buy one I would need the ability to swap out the hardware for something from Tama, Yamaha, or Sonor, otherwise it’s a hard no.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe maple/mahogany is the answer, who knows.

If you two are interested in a drum set with a maple/Mahogany shell you should look into the Noble and Cooley Horizon series . Designed with Bob Gatzen . Superb drums and they started making these decades before DW did .

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I had unconstrained means, I would have a set of that bulky magnetic hardware on a studio kit.
Or perhaps if I played at a level where my gear was always set up, broken down and transported for me.
But it seems very impractical for any drummer at my level, weekend warrior, working gig drummer.
So it strikes me as curious that this amount of time, detail, engineering, and manufacturing cost is allocated to make what had to be for a limited market. Though I know there is a market for such things and I do appreciate that these kinds of forays by major manufacturers often result in trickle-down improvements to work-a-day hardware for us work-a-day drummers.
So for that I am all for them.
I just won’t be a buyer given my current needs and limitations.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you two are interested in a drum set with a maple/Mahogany shell you should look into the Noble and Cooley Horizon series . Designed with Bob Gatzen . Superb drums and they started making these decades before DW did .
I’ve heard very good things about this kit

Reaction score

Isn't the horizon multiple plies of maple with one mahogany ply in the centre?

The DW is constructed from seven maple plies in the centre, with two mahogany plies on the inside and outside (I even had an extra ply of feathered mahogany on the outside)

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Never gonna happen for me with that hardware. If I had a chance to play a Versatus kit and then if I liked it well enough to buy one I would need the ability to swap out the hardware for something from Tama, Yamaha, or Sonor, otherwise it’s a hard no.
Reminds me of an SNL routine about 30 years ago spoofing the idea that we need disposable razors with - wait for it- THREE blades. Because “You’ll buy anything!”

Seriously?

1640904856811.jpeg

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't the horizon multiple plies of maple with one mahogany ply in the centre?

The DW is constructed from seven maple plies in the centre, with two mahogany plies on the inside and outside (I even had an extra ply of feathered mahogany on the outside)
Not quite - it is a maple shell with the majority of the plies with a horizontal grain orientation . The inner ply is African mahogany . The only mahogany is the inner ply .

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
You would be missing out on one of the main features of the drum set buy using another companies hardware.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you imagine though? That tom mount. You could at least grab 5 minutes of your guitar player's time talking with him about it! Sorry, that was another thread!

T-2

Reaction score
Not quite - it is a maple shell with the majority of the plies with a horizontal grain orientation . The inner ply is African mahogany . The only mahogany is the inner ply .
Do they make that shell in-house? If not, who makes it for them? Thanks.

Reaction score
Do they make that shell in-house? If not, who makes it for them? Thanks.
The Horizon is made by a supplier (I'd like to say Keller, but I'm not 100% sure).

Reactions: T-2

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, I remember watching this, they gave it a pretty favorable review. BTW I really liked this channel back when Nolly was hosting it and find it basically unwatchable with the new guy, he sounds like he’s yelling at the camera the whole time and seems to be relatively clueless.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Horizon is made by a supplier (I'd like to say Keller, but I'm not 100% sure).
You are correct Keller makes both the CD Maples and the Horizon shells . The Walnut shells are made by some company in Italy I was told . Not sure who makes the Tulip shells for the Union series kits .

Mapex Always

Reaction score
“FEAR” false evidence appearing real - Drummers fall into this trap quicker than most musicians.

Feels good to own the tour de force of drum kits, the innovation is outer worldly ,, as others hate on great.

@Steech , Bandit is a 1000% correct … The floor Tom legs, bass drum spurs, and Tom Mounts help separate this drum set from all competitors. Otherwise you “just”
have yourself another PHX , Star , Q , MW etc … Well , you’ll be a step above those still , but you get what I’m trying to say. I’m glad to hear You didn’t actually mean the hardware per se , just one of the best parts of this kit , or any kit for that matter , the mounts.

Visually , form and function .. these mounts are brilliant , and they take up less “Tom” space on the drum (so you can see all of the beauty) , compared to , and over , any other high-end competitor on the market.

@Matched Gripper , kudos on this here , You by yourself taught me this in about 11 minutes , Thank you for that! Perfect.

“Wish I had notation software. Anyway, it’s a 2 measure beat based on 2/3 rumba clave. In it’s basic form (assuming you’re a righty), you play as follows:

- RH on bell or shell: play half notes on 1 and 3.
-LH on snare: First measure: play on 2, & of 3, & of 4. Second measure: play on & of 1, 2, & of 3, & of 4.
- BD: play on & of 2 and 4.

Start with hands only. Then add BD. When you are comfortable with that you can add 2/3 rumba clave on left foot.”

As far as this is concern you couldn’t sound any more “naïve” on the subject if you wanted to … Or maybe it’s my opening quote to this post , either way it’s all fine. My thoughts when I first played this set with those Tom mounts , is nothing has ever felt like that , nothing has ever sounded like that , before or since in anyway …. Impeccable. Out of curiosity, what were your thoughts when you first played The Versatus kit with those Tom mounts? Or were you too busy cleaning up the blood from your three blade disposable razor to remember.