Star, SQ2, or Craviotto !!

Reaction score
Yup, makes sense. Who does the bearing edges, is that also Keller or are those done by the customer after delivery from Keller? I’ve actually never thought about this before and am really curious now.
Keller will just supply the shells. The customer will cut the shells to their final dimensions, do all the drilling, finishing and cut the edges. I'm not a Keller expert, but I don't think they offer any service beyond supplying the shells.

Reaction score
You are correct Keller makes both the CD Maples and the Horizon shells . The Walnut shells are made by some company in Italy I was told . Not sure who makes the Tulip shells for the Union series kits .
I always assumed N&C made the Walnut Classic "Witt" shells themselves. I seem to remember reading that when N&C bought Witt Percussion (which was a drama in and of itself at the time), they got the tooling and made the shells themselves. Did Witt have a patent on an all-horizontal walnut shell lay-up, because to me, why would N&C need to buy another company to make an all-horizontal walnut shell? They already had the all-horizontal Horizon which I believe pre-dated the Witt walnut. I'm obviously missing something.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keller will just supply the shells. The customer will cut the shells to their final dimensions, do all the drilling, finishing and cut the edges. I'm not a Keller expert, but I don't think they offer any service beyond supplying the shells.
Thanks!

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always assumed N&C made the Walnut Classic "Witt" shells themselves. I seem to remember reading that when N&C bought Witt Percussion (which was a drama in and of itself at the time), they got the tooling and made the shells themselves. Did Witt have a patent on an all-horizontal walnut shell lay-up, because to me, why would N&C need to buy another company to make an all-horizontal walnut shell? They already had the all-horizontal Horizon which I believe pre-dated the Witt walnut. I'm obviously missing something.

N&C does make the multiply walnut snares in house using the equipment they purchased from Witt Percussion. I was told the walnut drum set shells come from a company in Italy, the name of which was not told to me.

Making drum set shells is a very large financial undertaking. The cost of the moulds themselves could be financially crippling to many smaller companies. This is why they use a Company like Keller to provide shells with their own proprietary shell lay-up.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
N&C does make the multiply walnut snares in house using the equipment they purchased from Witt Percussion. I was told the walnut drum set shells come from a company in Italy, the name of which was not told to me.

Making drum set shells is a very large financial undertaking. The cost of the moulds themselves could be financially crippling to many smaller companies. This is why they use a Company like Keller to provide shells with their own proprietary shell lay-up.
Makes sense. But they probably outsource all of the other parts too, right?

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who care , even those who don’t understand the true greatness of Mr Neil , post “Moving Pictures” …. As for pre MP , give me “Necromancer” All day , every day , eight days a week and three times on Sunday ,, and I’d be like , buddy who? :)

Anyway my point of this post is , the second piece of this big order has landed , Allowing me to be able to use the first piece that landed , I haven’t yet but I will after I set it up :) …. One of the Falcons have landed!

View attachment 536242
I’ll take Caress Of Steel over Moving Pictures as well ..

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes sense. But they probably outsource all of the other parts too, right?
They make their own lugs and strainer in house for their snare drums .
The lugs they use for the kits is a proprietary lug only for N&C . It is made for N&C as it is a cast lug .

Mapex Always

Reaction score
Played all 4 Ludwig’s today , In a high to medium tune comparison … Supraphonic 14” x 6 1/2” had a beautiful dry snapping sound … Black Beauty with the proper lugs :) 14” x 8” was just gorgeously , I say gorgeously , warm and dark …. Raw Copper Phonic 14” x 8” to the depths of the earth with baritone , phenomenal …. Now those three I play all the time every single week repetitively , today I added the new one , the 14” x 8” hammered Bronze Phonic , It allowed me to enjoy the other three even more for all their attributes, and blowing me away even further so by Ludwig being able to add such a well rounded fourth metal to this equation of phonic’s. The hammered bronze had a melodic tone to it that was just addicting!

I play all 4 without any dampening.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Played all 4 Ludwig’s today , In a high to medium tune comparison … Supraphonic 14” x 6 1/2” had a beautiful dry snapping sound … Black Beauty with the proper lugs :) 14” x 8” was just gorgeously , I say gorgeously , warm and dark …. Raw Copper Phonic 14” x 8” to the depths of the earth with baritone , phenomenal …. Now those three I play all the time every single week repetitively , today I added the new one , the 14” x 8” hammered Bronze Phonic , It allowed me to enjoy the other three even more for all their attributes, and blowing me away even further so by Ludwig being able to add such a well rounded fourth metal to this equation of phonic’s. The hammered bronze had a melodic tone to it that was just addicting!

I play all 4 without any dampening.
I know and love all of them except for the Copper, I’ve never played a copper snare before. How would you say it stacks up to the others in terms of volume and clarity? I’ve heard that copper snares can get lost in the mix due to their darker tone.

Mapex Always

Reaction score
I know and love all of them except for the Copper, I’ve never played a copper snare before. How would you say it stacks up to the others in terms of volume and clarity? I’ve heard that copper snares can get lost in the mix due to their darker tone.
The black beauty is darker and warmer, the raw Copper Phonic , Remember 14” x 8”, it’s a monster, there’s no chance it’s getting lost on stage or in a recording, think of the black beauty with a slightly, and I mean slightly, Higher crack to it, yet in a lower register, if that makes any sense :)

Mapex Always

Reaction score
I feel that the 8" deep version would be better with 20 lugs, instead of having those outrageously long tension rods. I'm tempted though...
It’s the Most beautiful black beauty I’ve ever heard, I strongly encourage you to try one! You can tune it to the lowest registers you could possibly imagine, and tune it higher than high, and this particular drum just sounds flat out spectacular. If that helps at all :)

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The black beauty is darker and warmer, the raw Copper Phonic , Remember 14” x 8”, it’s a monster, there’s no chance it’s getting lost on stage or in a recording, think of the black beauty with a slightly, and I mean slightly, Higher crack to it, yet in a lower register, if that makes any sense :)
Yup that makes sense. I’m not generally a fan of ultra deep snares but will check out the 8” copper phonic, thanks!