Star, SQ2, or Craviotto !!

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous snare!
But how does it sound?
Despite having several other much more expensive/desirable snares on hand, my clear fave at my last rehearsal was this Tama Swingstar, which I got for far less than the new heads and wires, and the Pearl Unilock stand I got with it are worth.

Mapex Always

Reaction score
But how does it sound?
Despite having several other much more expensive/desirable snares on hand, my clear fave at my last rehearsal was this Tama Swingstar, which I got for far less than the new heads and wires, and the Pearl Unilock stand I got with it are worth.

Yes the Pearl Masterworks snare drums sound absolutely fantastic.

Fact …. whatever drums one is playing at any moment in time , Someone is playing a Mapex Saturn as good or better.

Great video … a must watch.

Mapex Always

Reaction score
Or, maybe not!

Hey, in no way do I put it in the category of how I feel about the MAPEX Saturns , Build sound quality and looks. And, for metal drums I’m a big A&F guy …. But, again, just like that African drum rhythm you taught me :) , no joke though, you nailed it! I’m going to see if I can find one of these kits and play it , if I like it as much as I do in those videos, I’m going to buy it … great prices like the Saturn as well …. Kudos!!

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey, in no way do I put it in the category of how I feel about the MAPEX Saturns , Build sound quality and looks. And, for metal drums I’m a big A&F guy …. But, again, just like that African drum rhythm you taught me :) , no joke though, you nailed it! I’m going to see if I can find one of these kits and play it , if I like it as much as I do in those videos, I’m going to buy it … great prices like the Saturn as well …. Kudos!!
FYI, clave is from Cuba. Probably an amalgam of African and Spanish rhythms. Re: Sinclair's Oriollo drums, if you like maximum resonance and tone, I don't think any Mapex wood drums can compete in that respect. JMO! I've never heard anything else like them, although, all I know about them is from Sinclair's videos. As for build quality, I've never seen them in person, much less played them. But, from the info on their website, they look to be as premium a build quality as a metal drum can be, all 100% seamless shells, solid stainless steel hardware, made in house. A&F are welded. The spun aluminum shells sound amazing and very reasonably priced. I haven't even heard a recording of the all spun copper drum set, but, they look delicious! More than double the price of the aluminums, BTW.

Last edited:

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
FYI, that 3rd video is a 16" bass drum. And, according to @Sinclair , IIRC, he recorded that demo with only 2 overhead mics.
Hey M-Grper. thanks for puttin those in one thread where they're all together to compare the sounds. I never did that. Yes all these are recorded with basically three mics. Two overheads and a bd. The close micing you do see I used very sparingly in the mix only to capture the natural close sound of the toms you hear while playing these drums.
Still using these as my go to kits. I'd put them up against any wood drums plus they have a vibe all there own.
Anyway thanks much.

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey M-Grper. thanks for puttin those in one thread where they're all together to compare the sounds. I never did that. Yes all these are recorded with basically three mics. Two overheads and a bd. The close micing you do see I used very sparingly in the mix only to capture the natural close sound of the toms you hear while playing these drums.
Still using these as my go to kits. I'd put them up against any wood drums plus they have a vibe all there own.
Anyway thanks much.
These kits look very very tempting. I just priced one out on the site and it came to around $3K, for the aluminums. A bit too much right now but someday maybe.