Star, SQ2, or Craviotto !!

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You caught me , I was trying to be discreet , I’m buying all these other kits just to brag , thanks for pointing it out :) …. It’s like caviar, I have a favorite , But when I go into high end French cuisine restaurants I just order a bunch of others to show off, I’m a real ass that way.
I'm not calling you an ass or trying to "catch" you.
I'm asking a question: If a Mapex Saturn is in fact the best drum kit there is (inasmuch as it sounds as good or better than anything else), then what reason is there for spending a fortune on three über kits from other brands?

Mapex Always

Reaction score
I'm not calling you an ass or trying to "catch" you.
I'm asking a question: If a Mapex Saturn is in fact the best drum kit there is (inasmuch as it sounds as good or better than anything else), then what reason is there for spending a fortune on three über kits from other brands?
Fair enough …. I tried to answer that question with my caviar statement, but I’m not as crafty or as smart as I think obviously, kind of like when I tell a joke, No one knows what the heck I’m talking about :) Anyway, for me nothing comes close to MAPEX, have and had so many of their drum sets, my favorite two kits that I play every day are obviously MAPEX …. Funny enough neither is a Saturn , but trust me you can’t beat that drum set.

But much like the caviar statement , I’ve had many other, in fact , almost all of the major name drum sets , and I love to play them … They all bring something cool to the table, a different flavor if you will. I’m at a point in my life now that I just want to enjoy the heck out of it, I love drums, I’m guilty. But, if someone wants to know “my” best , the answer is MAPEX … and it’s not even close.

And it’s 4 “uber” kits , I added a Pearl Masterworks set to that order …. and I’m now interested in a @oriollo kit because of @Matched Gripper , to be honest I never heard of them , And that’s rare for me, especially when they sound good, and they sound good! But, I’m not a big Internet guy and I can’t seem to find a phone number to reach someone to talk about those drums. And I’m a talker :) before I buy , not an email guy.

That’s why I love the guys from A&F Drums , Best customer service in the business.

And if it seems like I’m trying to show off, please everybody know I am not, I promise you that. I’m not a big Internet forum guy, I would rather play my drums than talk about my drums , came on here a while back when I got my Versatus Drum set, which I absolutely love! Was just excited to talk to like minded people , found out real fast my mind wasn’t like others :) Rubbed a bunch of people the wrong way and got kicked off the board, I never knew why though, don’t matter :) came back because I like the Mapex guy here @Bandit …. Seemed like I wasn’t going to be here long again and then people like @notINtheband , @JDA , @jkuhl and others made it as if they would rather me here than not … And I now enjoy stopping by whenever I get a chance , see if I can learn some cool things and see what my “little” buddy @Steech is buying ….

… That’s my story and I’m sticking to it, but if I’m going to come here and talk , I’m going to be excited about what I talk about! If I come off like a snob I don’t mean it that way , I just believe in myself and I get very pumped up is all. God bless

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the drum doesn't make the sound!!

The drum makes One sound

We manipulate it
into hopefully 3000 sounds
So where the start- where the 1 sound is- gets manipulated and blown away immediately
By the operator.

That one sound is just a signature.
We add the Story.

I’m guilty. But, if someone wants to know “my” best , the answer is MAPEX … and it’s not even close.
And that's Fine everyone should have a "base".
a Basis.
But everyone knows it's not the Full story.
It's a very minute part of it actually. It's just the starting point

Last edited:

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You do YOU @Mapex Always and let others read, or ignore, or insult, or joke, or whatever.
Forums have a tendency toward polishing down any rough edges in its array of members. Sometimes that’s a good thing and sometimes it’s detrimental to the group as a whole.
Just keep being you (passionate about what you love, and kind in your responses to various criticisms or calls to verify your statements). I find myself interested in each of your posts, especially the photos.
Many members have my attention, some for their kindness, some for their humor, some for their expertise and experiences, and some for their gentle trolling. But we all have a place here when the conversations are civil. And yours always are. Good on you mate.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's much concentration on the "start" point here on the board. Always has been. Most concerned with the 'start" point. What do I play. What do I buy. What do I sell. To buy which one do you think .

that's individual Signatures
Harder to put into words the stories written with those signatures.

Best left to a SoundCloud account.
Where words are few.

https://soundcloud.com/jda56
can talk about 'the start point' all day long 24/7/ /365 days a year.
That's why - the internet- is not real life

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Fair enough …. I tried to answer that question with my caviar statement, but I’m not as crafty or as smart as I think obviously, kind of like when I tell a joke, No one knows what the heck I’m talking about :) Anyway, for me nothing comes close to MAPEX, have and had so many of their drum sets, my favorite two kits that I play every day are obviously MAPEX …. Funny enough neither is a Saturn , but trust me you can’t beat that drum set.

But much like the caviar statement , I’ve had many other, in fact , almost all of the major name drum sets , and I love to play them … They all bring something cool to the table, a different flavor if you will. I’m at a point in my life now that I just want to enjoy the heck out of it, I love drums, I’m guilty. But, if someone wants to know “my” best , the answer is MAPEX … and it’s not even close.

And it’s 4 “uber” kits , I added a Pearl Masterworks set to that order …. and I’m now interested in a @oriollo kit because of @Matched Gripper , to be honest I never heard of them , And that’s rare for me, especially when they sound good, and they sound good! But, I’m not a big Internet guy and I can’t seem to find a phone number to reach someone to talk about those drums. And I’m a talker :) before I buy , not an email guy.

That’s why I love the guys from A&F Drums , Best customer service in the business.

And if it seems like I’m trying to show off, please everybody know I am not, I promise you that. I’m not a big Internet forum guy, I would rather play my drums than talk about my drums , came on here a while back when I got my Versatus Drum set, which I absolutely love! Was just excited to talk to like minded people , found out real fast my mind wasn’t like others :) Rubbed a bunch of people the wrong way and got kicked off the board, I never knew why though, don’t matter :) came back because I like the Mapex guy here @Bandit …. Seemed like I wasn’t going to be here long again and then people like @notINtheband , @JDA , @jkuhl and others made it as if they would rather me here than not … And I now enjoy stopping by whenever I get a chance , see if I can learn some cool things and see what my “little” buddy @Steech is buying ….

… That’s my story and I’m sticking to it, but if I’m going to come here and talk , I’m going to be excited about what I talk about! If I come off like a snob I don’t mean it that way , I just believe in myself and I get very pumped up is all. God bless
Internet humor! It’s funny until someone gets hurt!

Agree 100% about live customer service. Some vendors literally have no customer contact phone number, including Ludwig for example. I much prefer to ask an informed living, breathing, human being the questions I have and making sure I get direct answers to my questions. Also, there’s a level of trust and confidence, or not, that is based on live personal communication. There’s nothing more annoying than writing out your questions and concerns and getting an incomplete or non-responsive reply.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

You're a positive dude from everything I've read. I don't hear you putting down other players or products just to pump your own likes and loves as so many others across the internet do.

I've been getting a kick out of reading all this stuff and been impressed with how you held your own. I'm hoping you stick around and I hope you're feeling welcome.

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
There's much concentration on the "start" point here on the board. Always has been. Most concerned with the 'start" point. What do I play. What do I buy. What do I sell. To buy which one do you think .

that's individual Signatures
Harder to put into words the stories written with those signatures.

Best left to a SoundCloud account.
Where words are few.

https://soundcloud.com/jda56
can talk about 'the start point' all day long 24/7/ /365 days a year.
That's why - the internet- is not real life
39 tracks!

Opus JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
'like Bird droppings on new convertible"
---------------------Charlie Chan Adventure in Detroit 1948

Last edited:

Mapex Always

Reaction score
@notINtheband , thanks buddy … you are truly a good man / person.

@JDA , impressive , love the cymbal work and spaces between the notes.

@Steech , I meant the word “little” with total respect and fun I hope you know that.

@SpinaDude , I want you to know this, I would never have been here as long as I was in the beginning if it wasn’t for you , part of the reason I kept showing up was because of you … when I would pop on here , most everybody would have a field day beating up the Doc :) , but you would always throw a like up on my post …. Thanks for that.

Latest arrivals … I know it’s not much, but I promised I would post a pic of every single part of this order. So here it goes for those who are interested.

6B2CF502-9E23-41FF-8E67-246B0DC53B7F.jpeg

Love these brushes , have two sets for different Locations. And of course, beautiful patina brass claws from A&F Drum Company.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey, in no way do I put it in the category of how I feel about the MAPEX Saturns , Build sound quality and looks. And, for metal drums I’m a big A&F guy …. But, again, just like that African drum rhythm you taught me :) , no joke though, you nailed it! I’m going to see if I can find one of these kits and play it , if I like it as much as I do in those videos, I’m going to buy it … great prices like the Saturn as well …. Kudos!!
I've already posted this on another thread so I've been hesitant to post it here too...but man did this sound turn my head.

If you're thinking about Oriollo delivering on a full spun metal kit...this is the way I'd go. For me, this sound is perfection.

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've already posted this on another thread so I've been hesitant to post it here too...but man did this sound turn my head.

If you're thinking about Oriollo delivering on a full spun metal kit...this is the way I'd go. For me, this sound is perfection.

Yeah this copper kit sounds incredible.

Mapex Always

Reaction score

Love it my man absolutely fantastic! Here’s my dilemma, I need to be able to talk to someone to order any one of these kits, I can’t seem to make that happen over the past few days here.

Also my OCD wants this kit in a certain house in a certain location, and with all the other kits I have coming that are going to be in a different location , I will not be at the another location to play that kit enough to justify it to my lovely wife :) …. But it’s more the first reason.

So “no joke” you, because I absolutely love your excitement, or Matched Gripper or Houndog , both seem very pumped on this thread about these Oriollo Drums , or even notINtheband - just because …. One of you guys order a three piece aluminum or three piece copper , bop kit or not …. And I’ll pay for half of it as a happy new year to my fellow drummers!

God bless

On this DCP video from a month ago ,, How much better is kit number 5 over all the others? Come on, beautiful!!

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love it my man absolutely fantastic! Here’s my dilemma, I need to be able to talk to someone to order any one of these kits, I can’t seem to make that happen over the past few days here.

Also my OCD wants this kit in a certain house in a certain location, and with all the other kits I have coming that are going to be in a different location , I will not be at the another location to play that kit enough to justify it to my lovely wife :) …. But it’s more the first reason.

So “no joke” you, because I absolutely love your excitement, or Matched Gripper or Houndog , both seem very pumped on this thread about these Oriollo Drums , or even notINtheband - just because …. One of you guys order a three piece aluminum or three piece copper , bop kit or not …. And I’ll pay for half of it as a happy new year to my fellow drummers!

God bless

On this DCP video from a month ago ,, How much better is kit number 5 over all the others? Come on, beautiful!!
Interesting that they have the Masterworks maple/gum as number one whereas the original shells in the same formula are the Gretsch USA Customs, and those are much lower in the rankings.

And yes, of course your prized Saturn Evolutions are there too and they too sound great. I can’t say which of these kits I like best though tbh.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting that they have the Masterworks maple/gum as number one whereas the original shells in the same formula are the Gretsch USA Customs, and those are much lower in the rankings.
Are they really the same formula though? Even if the plies and species are in the same configuration, manufacturing methods and hardware will change things.

From the comparison video DCP did, I personally preferred the sound of the Pearl toms and didn't think they sounded all that similar. The Gretsch bass drum was superior to my ears though.

Last edited:

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are they really the same formula though? Even if the plies and species are in the same configuration, manufacturing methods and hardware will change things.

From the comparison video DCP did, I personally preferred the sound of the Pearl Tom's and didn't think they sounded all that similar. The Gretsch bass drum was superior to my ears though.
Yeah, you bring up a good point in that the processes are different and the wood species and layup are only part of the overall sound.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
maple gum of Pearl or DW both different than Gretsch USAC
in stacking; layup; "formula" probably edge(s) too) But still i'd imagine if- you build a Maple Gum shell regardless of place ments and plies you'll get 'similar' results..
but if look at details of DW or Pearl maple gum on their respective websites- you might see- all three (Gretsch, Pearl, DW Jazz) are all different from each other) amen.

Last edited:

afwdrums

Reaction score

man, if this is a serious offer I'd be happy to take you up on it if those other guys aren't, I'd love to try out an aluminum kit!