Starr Festival Snare Drum - NAMM 2018

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Skyrm said:
So, is that close enough for everyone? :)
Depends of what the paint smells like. I still remember the Resocote/glue smell from my 1966 Ludwig kit I got in 1968.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For those (K.O.) who have an OBP Jazz Festival and/or Pioneer from that era, I'm curious how close they got the wrap to the original 60's version based on the limited photos available from NAMM?

jbonzo1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looks good but I would prefer a genuine period correct vintage badge. Like they did with the P-83 and muffler.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
An honest to goodness P83 reissue, with the strainer arm beefed up just slightly. That's all I've ever asked for in a throwoff.

I've said it for years... reissue a P83, with a beefed up strainer arm, and I'll buy a box. I'm ready to put my money where my mouth is. Have a bunch of old Ludwigs, and a couple projects in the works, that'll all be sporting those once they hit the parts market. Wonderful.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think it looks as close as anyone can come to the original using the wrap that is currently available. As we've discussed many times around here the modern wrap often looks dead on until you compare it directly with a vintage drum. Not much can be done about that as they can no longer make the stuff in exactly the same way as they used to (certain ingredients can't be used anymore, even in Italy where they make this) and they haven't done so since 1970. Considering that I suppose we're lucky there's a wrap made that's as close as this is. I can remember when the Bowling ball version was the only type available. I think it was Jack Lawton that initially got the 60's style oyster black (and blue) wrap recreated around 25 years ago (I have some of that and it's not perfect either, pretty splotchy, but was a real improvement at the time). Really no other option other than something like Bumwrap which might have actually looked a bit more accurate but probably wouldn't have been as wise a choice (unless perhaps it was actually scanned off Ringo's drum which seems unlikely).

I'm not sure it really matters anyhow. No one is going to be buying these things to gig with so they don't need to match with vintage sets. The selling points are Ringo's signature, the unique badge, and the exclusivity. I imagine all of these will end up on display in glass cases in 15 different spots in the world, never to be played. Frankly, anyone who could afford the likely price of one of these could also easily afford a real 60's Jazz Fest (perhaps not one exactly like Ringo's but close enough) to gig with if that was their desire (heck, I'm dirt poor and I have one ;) ). This drum is about something else. They are very cool but they will be "collectibles" and that's fine. I mean I guess anyone is free to do whatever they want with one of these but I'd bet most will live in a glass case (or custom flight case).

I commend Gary on the great job he's done with this. I wish I could afford one but pretty sure that's not going to be the case. Fifteen well-heeled Beatles and/or drum collectors are going to have a cool item to add to their collection and Ringo's charity will get a nice chunk of change...everybody wins! (well except those who'd like one but can't afford to play in that rarified air).

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Radio King said:
It's nice to see the P-83 again.
The P-83s and the BB mufflers are vintage parts they scrounged for these 15 drums.

Reaction score
I've not heard of a firm price, or if the drums are for sale, or are they just taking orders, or what?
Anybody at NAMM know?

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I heard they are doing the whole KIT?. Nah that cant be right. There will be 15 for $10k each, sold by Gary directly with the money to Ringos charity. The parts are NOS and not retooled.

Id bet that some would be dissatisfied even if Ringo himself would bleed all over each drum.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Now that's what you call a limited edition!

Mike

Latest posts