Starter Kit For Grandsons

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting my grandsons a starter kit for Christmas. They are 8 and 14. Any thoughts on a starter kit they could learn on that wouldnt break the bank? I know nothing about e drums . I am avoiding acoustics for now due to space and noise issues. Thanks

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It would be helpful to know what your "not break the bank" budget is before making a recommendation.

electrodrummer

Reaction score
No-one can make any (as in, ignore absolutely all) suggestions without an empirical budget.

One man's bank isn't gonna be the same size an another man's!

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lots of threads on this topic during the past year. Don't buy new. As that $500 kit will be $350 as soon as you walk out the door. Lots of barely used, complete kits for sale out there in the $200-$500 range. You can even run across intermediate and semi-pro kits in this price range if you are vigilant watching FB or CL in your area.

Last edited:

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Although you will find new kits in the $500 price range if you do a search of any of the major retailer websites, in my opinion most of these sets are cheaply made and may not hold up very well. Although used will bring you the most bang for your buck, I would want to see the kit in person to determine what shape it's in rather than buying remotely. You're likely to see many major retailers offer 15-25% off coupon codes between now and the holidays. This could bring a $600+ kit within your budget. Personally, I would look at one of the entry-level Yamaha kits with the DTX 400 module.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ordinarily...I would be in 110% agreement with my DFO peers regarding a used purchase. However, regarding this particular purchase I would suggest a one of the new Simmons or Alesis sub-$500 dollar "Holiday Special" kits that are already or soon will be available.

Why? Well, geez, gramps, it's Christmas and these boys won't know the difference in quality between a used Roland and a new Simmons... BUT they will know the difference between a USED kit and a NEW kit. Spring for the new.

Secondly, is there really that much depreciation going on with a $350-$500 kit if things don't work out? Not really. You may take a hit but we are talking about a $500 or less initial investment. Easily absorbed but most grandfathers-myself included.

Thirdly-warranty. If a used kit has or develops a problem you are SOL. If that new Guitar Center kit develops an issue? Box it up and drag it back where you got it. Get the $30 extended warranty to cover that 12 year old heavy hitter and your are covered.

Lastly-time. You have roughly 40 days to shop. Put the new kit in the cart and turn on the game. Or...start watching ebay and craigslist every day hoping for a "deal". Haggle out the price... Drive out to pick it up, or wait for the eBay kit to arrive. Find a nice box...wrapping paper...etc. etc. etc. lol

Anyway, just an old dogs few thoughts on it.

Good Luck in your quest, and hats off to you for doing right by your grand kids!

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I originally commented thinking this was for an acoustic kit. For electric, new may be be a good option to avoid failed electronics or "soon to fail."

Last edited:

electrodrummer

Reaction score
I originally commented thinking this was for an acoustic kit. For electric, new maybe be a good option.
2nd user is fine, as long as it's something like a Yamaha or Roland. Anything else and you "may" have longevity problems. Avoid the lowest model of any range, as they are often a dead-end kit. A second-user kit from the next level up will provide expansion and flexibility.

Latest posts