Starting to adapt Rosanna drum cover

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some of you know about the health issues I've gone through since having a botched spinal fusion, and some other crap.
I'm still not the drummer I was, but I'm beginning to improve.
I stopped caring, and vented in the description.
1st time attempting Rosanna in a real long time. Since I can't edit after the fact, and am horrible at mixing drums, I had to use different dynamics for each drum.
The drums in person sound unbelievable. Paistes always sound great, especially recorded

sptucker

Reaction score
Don't sell yourself short -- that JP shuffle is certainly not easy and you look pretty relaxed doing it. Great that you are back on the throne, brother!

I agree your Paistes sound reeaaal nice, too!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't sell yourself short -- that JP shuffle is certainly not easy and you look pretty relaxed doing it. Great that you are back on the throne, brother!

I agree your Paistes sound reeaaal nice, too!
Thanks. It's definitely wasn't an easy tune to get through. I can only go foward, and won't quit. I've played after the surgery, but my mind doesn't get the signal to my limbs, and that's been mad frustrating.
I know that wasn't anything amazing in the YouTube coverland, but I got through it, and that felt good. It's pretty crazy how important the feet are to all aspects of drum set playing.
Recording myself has been a huge help. Hopefully things will continue to come together.

kallen49

Reaction score
Good job on a complex tune, yes, very relaxed, I could learn from that.
I went into my local drum shop last year and had them listen to Weezer’s Rosanna cover, which is a bit faster, and quickly drummers from all over the store had gathered around to listen. Some thought Pat Wilson was “cheating”. I don’t know but it’s fun to play.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Its funny you mentioned motivation. I also knew the tune years ago, but I couldn't get the grace notes sounding right, this time around, and the foot pattern wasn't even close. This was Tuesday.
I posted a small part of the tune late Tues, and a "friend" who posted an attempt at the tune started passive aggressively giving me advice.
That was instant motivation. I was determined to get through it. I know it's just a drum cover, and it has mistakes, but I haven't gotten any more advice since.
It's a small victory, but a victory non the less, and I made some excellent progress.
I have to be honest, getting through that tune felt great.
Win win, I guess

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good job on a complex tune, yes, very relaxed, I could learn from that.
I went into my local drum shop last year and had them listen to Weezer’s Rosanna cover, which is a bit faster, and quickly drummers from all over the store had gathered around to listen. Some thought Pat Wilson was “cheating”. I don’t know but it’s fun to play.
I heard Weezer did that tune.
I've got check that out. I hope I didn't come off as a jerk from that story? I was just being honest
I guess it's 1 thing to cover someone else's work, and a whole other thing writing something like that..Parcaro, Copeland, Bonham, etc.....that's some real talent. We still talk about thoes guys, and try to cover their work 50+ years later in many cases.
There are some incredible drummers on YouTube doing covers. I guess it's all relative in a way, but I'm impressed daily.
On a slightly different topic, I remember watching Tony Royster at 11 @ the Buddy memorial.
Till that point I never really believed in god. After watching his solo, I had no other explanation.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
Its funny you mentioned motivation. I also knew the tune years ago, but I couldn't get the grace notes sounding right, this time around, and the foot pattern wasn't even close. This was Tuesday.
I posted a small part of the tune late Tues, and a "friend" who posted an attempt at the tune started passive aggressively giving me advice.
That was instant motivation. I was determined to get through it. I know it's just a drum cover, and it has mistakes, but I haven't gotten any more advice since.
It's a small victory, but a victory non the less, and I made some excellent progress.
I have to be honest, getting through that tune felt great.
Win win, I guess
I think that tune is a lot more than just a cover. I was in my second year of college and fully immersed in trying to learn how to play the drums. After that tune came out I spent hours in my parent's basement working on trying to just play the groove. I'd say there are probably millions of people just like us who would never be able to play a half time shuffle groove if not for that tune. Call it a "coming of age" for anyone learning the half time shuffle.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think that tune is a lot more than just a cover. I was in my second year of college and fully immersed in trying to learn how to play the drums. After that tune came out I spent hours in my parent's basement working on trying to just play the groove. I'd say there are probably millions of people just like us who would never be able to play a half time shuffle groove if not for that tune. Call it a "coming of age" for anyone learning the half time shuffle.
That was the coolest comment I've ever seen, let alone got. That's an awesome way to put it!
Would you be kind enough to leave a similar comment?
Thank you for those words.
Just playing the shuffle off the ride, and accenting the 1/4 notes took me forever when I 1st attempted that. The dynamics Parcaro used during that tom fill is something I feel I'm still fudging.
That tune is the ultimate lesson for the 1/2 time shuffle

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I listened with headphones, and decided I need to redo the tune sometime today.
Thanks for everyone's support, but I can do better.