Stave Walnut snare-how to finish?

A_T_P

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have this beautiful walnut stave snare shell that I’m looking to finish. It’ll need a final sanding, but I’m wondering about putting a stain or coating on it. The grains on this are amazing and I don’t want to cover them up with too dark a stain. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance, I’m super new to this.

-Andrew

Attachments

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really love the natural look to staining in the majority of cases. In the case of darker woods I prefer oil and clear glossy finishes.

What stains are you considering as front-runners and are you looking to matte/glossy lacquer it?

A_T_P

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Hop,

In all honesty I haven’t thought of anything stain-wise really since I’m so new to this, so any suggestions are much appreciated! I’d love to keep a natural look to it though.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Natural ... clear ... that wood grain speaks.
So beautiful.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Polyester.

The photo is of one of my walnut stave shells before hardware holes were drilled. No stain, just the polyester.20181013_191231.jpg

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Hop,
In all honesty I haven’t thought of anything stain-wise really since I’m so new to this, so any suggestions are much appreciated! I’d love to keep a natural look to it though.
Go with your gut... I think natural w/o stain will look fantastic.

Nice tub RIDDIM!!!

jeffh

Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't stain a dark wood like that. When you put an oil-based finish on there, you'll see that grain come to life.

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used Teak oil on mine; two coats brought a nice sheen without being too shiny.

A_T_P

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone! Whatever I do I’ll be sure to post some photos.

Reactions: Hop

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
That is nice. I'd go poly, too - and hand apply it....to rub it in and get a nice shine. I am not a fan of shiny finishes so I'd go satin, but your call. Certainly excited to see the end result!

And are you going to finish the inside and edges, too? I think I would.....just to seal it. And BTW, if you are "new" to this, that's a fantastic first stave shell! I am not even there yet - still messing with refinishing shells.....so congrats!

A_T_P

Reaction score
Thanks Jazz! I can't take full credit for this shell. Yes I cut the pieces and glued them together, but when it came time to turn it down to the appropriate diameter I was a little overwhelmed. I contacted a local-ish builder to do that and the bearing edges for me.

Thanks for your input, I'll certainly post some progress pics! I need to get into the garage and final sand it once the weather gets better up here in Michigan.

-Andrew

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Did you finish this one up?
I wanna see pics plz!!!!
I didn't do the polyester work.

What do you want to see pix of? The finished kit, or more pix like I showed earlier?

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Same question to ATP, the OP. What happened with this project?

Riddim - I, too, would love to see pics of the finished version of the shell(s) that you pictured. That is some rich-looking wood, my friend!

GeeDeeEmm

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What do you want to see pix of? The finished kit, or more pix like I showed earlier?
I loves me some drums, so I don't tire of seeing pics of them. I also love to see what guys are putting together themselves as I can appreciate the craftsmanship to pull it off.
So I don't mind seeing more of the snare or kit. The shell above looks like a beast and I'm really curious to what it looks like dressed out!

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've always favored lighter woods in the past, but I'm really digging the walnut these days.
Kit looks great... I like the 3 floor toms and instantly thought of Tony!

Latest posts