Steel or brass?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm cleaning/repairing a 14" Slingerland snare for a guitarist friend of mine and am wondering about it's heritage.
IMG_20200527_184630390.jpg

I'm guessing that this is a steel drum because a magnet sticks and there is rust in the chrome. Also, I think I remember reading in my Slingerland book that they didn't start using steel shells until into the Silver Niles badge era.
When did Slingerland switch to steel for there 8 Lug metal snares? Did they ever offer a choice?

I'm excited about to see how she cleans up. Probably do a dawn soak and then a chrome polish on the shell. And hoops. Lugs look fine.
I also may have some missing strainer parts as it came completly removed from the drum in a bag and there are nuts floating around in the shell.

I need another drum project right now like I need another hole in the head, but this should still be fun.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
With the exception of a brief period in the (check me on this folks) early 60s when the Krupa metal snare was first introduced, brass snares had three lines, steel (festival models) had plain shell. The Festival has a thing it does very well. If I was gonna be playing late 60s funk, a festival moderately cranked with a wallet would be stone cold perfect. Instant break beat sound.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
That will be a great sounding snare. I have several steel snares in the herd and they always deliver :)

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Also, although I've owned a couple (that came with Slingerland sets) my main experience with festivals is playing one more or less every band practice for the last two/three years at my bassist's house. String players seem to end up with these, huh?

Jay_M

Reaction score
Very good snare, easy to find and inexpensive. As Kmcc mentioned, I actually recorded an album of breakbeats for producers to sample years ago and that was the main snare I used. It was dry and warm - worked better for that than the Rogers Powertone, which kind of had an odd after note. I can see it working for any R&B or classic rock if treated right. It's steel but it's not brittle (sonically) and doesn't have any of the (bad) stereotypes of steel snares. Also as stated, the Krupa/COB snare had those 3 lines around the middle and a Zoomatic strainer with a bit more tone (typical of brass) - the Festival actually has a simpler and less problematic throw.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for all the great responses. Anybody ever try 30 or 40 strand wires on it?
I'm thinking about forgoing the wallet and putting a pre-muffled head on it. Like one of those coated dot heads that Remo makes. I had one once on something. Reverse dot? I don't remember.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for all the great responses. Anybody ever try 30 or 40 strand wires on it?
I'm thinking about forgoing the wallet and putting a pre-muffled head on it. Like one of those coated dot heads that Remo makes. I had one once on something. Reverse dot? I don't remember.
Yeah, Remo Controlled Sound, reverse dot. Evans Powercenter reverse dot, Aquarian texture coated power dot.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To me the Slingerland Festival is a little known gem. Maybe it's not a drum that you scour want ads looking for, but when you come across one they surprise you as to how good they can sound. Your friend has a solid drum.

A Remo CS reverse dot or a Vintage Ambassador are my head choices for these. I have not tried different snare wires on one.