Steel Wool on Super Sensitive

Blkonyx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just watched this Steve Maxwell video of a clean up on super sensitive and noticed they used steel wool to clean it up. Doesn’t this leave little surface scratches? I’ve always been told to stay away from using steel wool...just curious

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
you need a very fine gauge steel wool, not the coarse stuff.

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even 4-0 steel wool will leave scratches, very tiny but there, in chrome. The steel is harder that the chrome, so scratches happen.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd still be very cautious
but you can clean glass and auto chrome.
I wouldn't use it on a drum unless I hated it)

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Some of the staff make choices I would not. For instance, I once purchased a vintage microsensenitive strainer and technician offered to polish for me. He ran a metal bit “polishing wheel” on it subsequently destroying the piece. Fortunately I just needed the handle. I choose not to use steel wool.

kdgrissom

Reaction score
That looks too red-ish to be steel wool. Brass wool perhaps? None the less, I have personally learned my lesson years ago with regards to #0000 steel wool. Never again.

Last edited:

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Soaking it in 2/3 Dawn, 1/3 water, overnight will clean it even better, no scratches. Just dry all parts thoroughly, lubricate and then assemble & tune. I'd never send a drum of mine off to be cleaned. Its easy to do.

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
Keeping the steel wool and whatever you're cleaning lubricated is the key to avoid scratching. Often use furniture/0000 grade steel wool on hoops, lugs, misc. hardware etc. in a sink full of soapy water with no problems, but only for really dirty parts. Otherwise a good quality metal/chrome polish and elbow grease should suffice.

JDZ

Asst. Manager, rhythm section
Reaction score
Keeping the steel wool and whatever you're cleaning lubricated is the key to avoid scratching. Often use furniture/0000 grade steel wool on hoops, lugs, misc. hardware etc. in a sink full of soapy water with no problems, but only for really dirty parts. Otherwise a good quality metal/chrome polish and elbow grease should suffice.
I agree 100% on the lubrication. While working at NASA, I asked a metallurgist about this and he told me chromium steel is harder than steel.

Dave

drumsforme

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used 0000 Steel wool on a early 90's Steel shell and it left a haze from the abrasion to the shell...hoops came out fine however. A fellow drum restoration buddy told me to spray WD 40 into the steel wool and it definitely helped the situation...but be gentle and don't rub hard.....

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
0000 Steel wool dipped in evapo-rust.
I have used it for years on all chrome plated drum hardware. And the chrome wheels on my car.

No scratches.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I refuse to use any gauge of steel wool on anything chrome, as I've seen too many damaged items. There are a lot of alternatives that are safer and equally as effective.