header.nohb.html

Steely Dan drummers

coastie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Listening to these guys is like going to drum set recording college.
All of them were spectacular despite what they were put thru by those Uber demanding fellas.
Hodder, Gordon, Purdie, Gadd, Moratta, Porcaro. I probably skipped some.
I’ve really been listening to a variety of it for a couple months and I’m super inspired to play better. What do you guys think?

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Presentation 2 copy.001.jpeg

Steech

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of them were spectacular despite what they were put thru by those Uber demanding fellas.
I’ve really been listening to a variety of it for a couple months and I’m super inspired to play better. What do you guys think?
Man. You skipped Keltner. He was a rhythm magician with the Dan. Check out Josie. That one’s a master class.

coastie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man. You skipped Keltner. He was a rhythm magician with the Dan. Check out Josie. That one’s a master class.
I’m spinning Josie right now for my penance. Did you know that the snare on Josie is a Vistalite? I didn’t either until I read an old MD interview with JK recently.

Last edited:

Steech

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peter Erskine was fantastic on the 1993 tour. I know I'm in the minority here, but I never cared for Keith Carlock. I think he plays way too hard. But the SD guys obviously love his playing.
I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels this way about KC.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bernard Purdie on Green Earrings and Jeff Porcaro on Gaucho are probably my two fav Steely Dan drum recordings. After a Google search I found this YouTube video of some alternate Green Earring outtakes, some pretty cool stuff:

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m spinning Josie right now for my penance. Did you know that the snare on Josie is a Vistalite? I didn’t either until I read an old MD interview with JK recently.
I read that a couple years ago!! Loved that story. Thanks for the reminder.

coastie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bernard Purdie on Green Earrings and Jeff Porcaro on Gaucho are probably my two fav Steely Dan drum recordings. After a Google search I found this YouTube video of some alternate Green Earring outtakes, some pretty cool stuff:

Oh man, BP is such a groove monster. The hi hat work is next level.

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I'm seeing Carlock tonight. Interesting that I think he has the longest tenure by far of any of the 'Dan drummers. Probably has more to do with the times than anything else. I love pretty much everything they've put out.

groovemastergreg

Reaction score
I really thought Jim Hodder was great. I realize he’s in a list of perceived greater greats, but I liked his playing. Also, I thought David Palmer was a great first vocalist for them. The two Dan midnight special clips on the tube show them. And man, that Danny Dios could play. You know when Skunk Baxter is relegated to congas that the guitar player was gonna be hot.