header.nohb.html

Steely Dan drummers

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a kid, I dreaded a future in which I’d have to work a suit-and-tie job, drive a Chrysler Cordoba and pretend to enjoy Steely Dan. Luckily, it’s a fate I escaped.
Cordoba. Wow.
Wasn’t that the car with the ads that had Ricardo Montalban gushing about the rich Corinthian leather?

Last edited:

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• 400A27D6-4D09-49A5-B0CB-EB6FD23E6C2C.jpeg
    400A27D6-4D09-49A5-B0CB-EB6FD23E6C2C.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 16

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well I'm seeing Carlock tonight. Interesting that I think he has the longest tenure by far of any of the 'Dan drummers. Probably has more to do with the times than anything else. I love pretty much everything they've put out.
Enjoy the show, I just saw him last Sunday and it blew my mind!

2J3L

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not to derail, but I just saw Carlock with Wayne Krantz and Tim Lefebvre in a tiny kids music school last week and it crushed!
You did?!
That trio was first introduction to KC for me along with Oz Noy trio.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I take no offense to this - I enjoy VBs snark (its very Fagen-esque) - but I don't get this association with Steely Dan, or at least as an exclusive description of their fans. I think I must have missed what was going on when they first hit the scene.

I got into them in High School in 92 or so. You could buy their cassettes for $3-4 in the blow out bins at the local music store, so we all quickly ended up owning pretty much every album, and listened to them a lot. We were definitely not upper class country club kids, it was a blue collar New Hampshire town, pretty much no wealth in my crew at least.

I get it though - my first real concert was them on their big reunion tour in 93, we somehow managed to get good seats down on the floor too. I remember during intermission walking around some wasted lady in furs grabbing me from behind by the neck and cackling "You don know Steely Dan!". No real harm done but I think she probably fit the bill pretty well.
Two things on this: Steely Dan didn’t tour from 1975-1992 — something about being too good in the studio to reproduce on stage … The woman who attacked you was clearly “Peg.”

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
That’s a cute response. Good job!
Honestly, all lyrical content aside, their music and the peeps playing it are hard to beat. I’ve NEVER had to pretend I like them and I remember when these songs were on the top of the charts. For at least 10 years solid.
E2E907B7-018E-42D7-B748-AAAE510FE3F9.png

Jay-Dee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As a kid, I dreaded a future in which I’d have to work a suit-and-tie job, drive a Chrysler Cordoba and pretend to enjoy Steely Dan. Luckily, it’s a fate I escaped.
You say that but I suspect really deep down there's some Steely Dan snobbery just dying to get out.

I'm willing to bet that in your car by yourself when Reelin in the Years comes on the radio, you feign to turn it off, but those snare triplet ghost notes hook you and next thing you're trying to play along on your steering wheel, hoping nobody in the car beside you is watching.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Caught Steely at NYC’s Beacon Theater with Carlock. He did a great job. Unfortunately this would b one of Walter’s last gigs as he was only able to do the first 2 or 3 songs and had to leave the stage due to illness. He passed away some time afterwards. R.I.P.

Well seems Jerry & Rick Marrotta band “Reeling in the Years” is gigging in my area…may have to check them out. Not bad as far as cover bands go…

Tubwompus

Reaction score
On topic, the Aja album was a delightful cocktail to a 14-year old li’l punk kid with aspirations of being a studio drummer because most of the biggies from that time were on that album, even Ed Greene. (Ironically to me, anyway, years later I played on a project for a guy who had an album on Electra and had Gadd on a couple of cuts, incidentally. This guy said my playing reminded him of Ed Greene. Hope he liked Ed Greene’s playing.)

Off topic, my ancient self lost my virginity in a Cordoba.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wendel was a good drummer for them…a little stiff but right on the beat ;)