Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some great insight into
Steely Dan can be found on line...
#1 Kid Charlemange (in depth)
#2 The "band"
#3 Part 1 Fagen talks "Peg"
#4 Part 1 Fagen talks "Josie"
#5 I remember the first time hearing "Countdown" at a young age and being blown away by the first track.

Last edited:

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Music, musicianship and studio magic! Their music is timeless in my book. Glad I got to see them just before Walter was called to heaven.

Johnny K

Reaction score
One of my earliest memories as a child that sticks in my mind is hearing Reelin In The Years on a shitty AM transistor radio. Been a fan ever since. I've seen them a couple of time live, the last being their Everything Must Go Tour, where they played the entire Aja album and maybe one or twoi songs from ETMG, including the soing Walt sang. The only song from Aja they didnt play was Home At Last (my top 5 favorte Dan tunes). I guess Kieth Carlock didnt want to dis Bernard Purdie. When I saw them in '92 Walt also sang Surf And Or Die. It was awesome. I was so wasted at that show. FWIW, my favorite SD tune is The Caves Of Altimira. I dont know if they keep the steelydan.com website going, but it is a very humorous site. Walt was Id of SD. He is sorely missed.

Last edited:

RickPlaysDrums

Reaction score
I've seen all the aforementioned videos and loved every one of them. If you ever wanna hear some cool stuff listen to the SD demos. (Found on YouTube.) It's very interesting to hear those raw recordings then relate them as to what they morphed into on album cuts.

Also check out on YouTube SD covers. Many people do a great job in their renditions -- some as enjoyable as the Steely Dan originals -- at the very least with a different twist!

I've been a "Dan" fan ever since I was about 18 yo.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Named after a steam powered dild0
I have gone
deep diving on the "Dan":
interviews, old live stuff,etc...
How bout this...

Johnny K

Reaction score
Also check out on YouTube SD covers. Many people do a great job in their renditions -- some as enjoyable as the Steely Dan originals -- at the very least with a different twist!
Best one I've seen so far is the guy (probably my age, late 40's early 50's) who plays a cover of The Caves Of Altimira in what looks like his kitchen. He absolutely nailed it.

RickPlaysDrums

Reaction score
Johnny, check this one out. Notice the added vocal harmony on the chorus. (The liberties -- the added "twists" on the songs that I previously mentioned.)

Then this "watered down" version. Maybe not the greatest vocals, and truncated, but still cool in my book.

Last edited:

Latest posts