Steely Dan- Peg ~~Drummer discrepancy!

DrumLug

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw credits on Bernard Purdie's Web that he played on Peg. { as if he was on the record }..That might be right,played,tried out....but, knowing Fagen & Becker....there were 7 or 8 different bands put together in the studio. Then they scrutinized and hand picked each one of the many, to form the ''recorded'' band. Sorry Bernard....It was Rick Marrotta on the final take...! For the record ,that is..! http://www.youtube.c...atch?v=6x6uoNqH ... re=related I've met Bernard Purdie,Nice guy...i am not going to dis-credit him---Hell....He played on a bunch {3500+} records and he does have '' that groove '' ...! What does throw me is the Beatle thing......Check these vids....they are good....

Last edited by a moderator:

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Bernard Purdie: great drummer, gone senile and living here in my home town, Portland Oregon. He's making a lot of wacko claims, all of them unverifiable and absurd.

I'm a Steely Dan nut, too, and I respect what Purdie did on the tracks on which he played. But we must give credit to the musicians that Fagan and Becker canonized in the liner notes, and imortalized on videos such as this. Same goes with George Martin, Ringo Starr and the Beatles.

jrfrond

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's Rick Marotta. I've seen him play that groove live, and there's no doubt in my mind.

Hey, I just found out last night that the ORIGINAL Becker/Fagan drummer was.....CHEVY CHASE!!! :shock:

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey, I just found out last night that the ORIGINAL Becker/Fagan drummer was.....CHEVY CHASE!!!

Chevy Chase it is. They were all in college together and played frat parties.

bongobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rick Marotta is one of the most under rated drummers alive. I bet there are 1,000s of young players who have no idea he evens exists. Another groove master that will go down as an unsung hero~

curotto

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
DrumLug said:
I saw credits on Bernard Purdie's Web that he played on Peg. { as if he was on the record }..That might be right,played,tried out....but, knowing Fagen & Becker....there were 7 or 8 different bands put together in the studio. Then they scrutinized and hand picked each one of the many, to form the ''recorded'' band. Sorry Bernard....It was Rick Marrotta on the final take...! For the record ,that is..! http://www.youtube.c...atch?v=6x6uoNqH ... re=related I've met Bernard Purdie,Nice guy...i am not going to dis-credit him---Hell....He played on a bunch {3500+} records and he does have '' that groove '' ...! What does throw me is the Beatle thing......Check these vids....they are good....

It was Ringo, he was paid twice, once for the recording and once to keep quiet... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Mike Curotto

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah but:

Two things:

At the time the record was released there was a fair bit of press about how Purdie had been brought in to re-record the album in total (almost wrote in Toto...). The Marotta tracks were alluded to by Becker or Fagin. Probably published in Musician magazine--long lamented.

Secondly, here he is playing the Live version, so one for Bernard I say:

http://www.youtube.c...atch?v=_I2jUdNG ... re=related

Cheers,

Patrick

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
Ricks version sounds like the recorded one to me. Catch the more accented hat on the and of each beat. Bernards, not so much so I'd say.

jrfrond

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rick and brother Jerry are SUPER musicians and just plain cool dudes.

I got to see Rick play "Peg" up-close at a NAMM Zildjian party last year (I think), and it was everything that was on the recorded version. Such a cool, relaxed groove.

Gee, I wonder how Chevy was on drums?

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think Bernard's claims may have merit when you consider that Steely Dan oftentimes recorded many different musicians playing the same songs. I don't know if Bernard is privy to which drummers were used but he could have played on the songs.. He certainly had the chops to do so. Nonetheless he certainly promotes himself to the extent that you'd think he was the only drummer to play on every hit song.

PJD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Dan would also comp together multiple takes so it could be both of them. Those guys are crazy.

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
I also have ruffs (unmixed tracks,) of a bunch of the Dan songs that Steve Gadd played on that didn't get used. It's interesting to hear these takes that weren't used for whatever reason. They are very cool. They obviously cut the same songs over and over again with different session bands. Then used the one they liked best.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
In an interview, I once heard Joe Walsh refer to Becker and Fagen as the "Marquis de Sade's" of the recording studio - for their obsession with multiple takes in the pursuit of perfection.

So, who knows who we're really hearing on any given track...

DrumLug

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Listen and you will hear....and, as seen on the video. Rick Marotta is the drummer of '' record ''. The thing going on with the opening and closing on the hi-hat....ever so smooth ! Yea...Purdie is in the takes, but , Not the final one---- Rick has my vote for this one.! What does the album credits say !!!!! ?????

johnlamond

Voiceover guy
Reaction score
DrumLug said:
Listen and you will hear....and, as seen on the video. Rick Marotta is the drummer of '' record ''. The thing going on with the opening and closing on the hi-hat....ever so smooth ! Yea...Purdie is in the takes, but , Not the final one---- Rick has my vote for this one.! What does the album credits say !!!!! ?????

Rick Marotta gets credit in the liner notes. I know they would have multiple drummers record each song so it is possible that the wrong person got credit on the album. I remember when the entire Katy Lied album got erased accidentally by an engineer and they had to start all over again. DOH!

dwludzild

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I paid $9.95 at Walmart for the "AJA" dvd. It is a really nice interview / music dvd. They also play for you the many takes of guitar leads that were recorded.

Rick played the track on the album and B.P. played the new version on the video.

I always liked the guitar and drum parts but the bass line is what really hooked me years ago on that song. Chuck Rainey is also on the dvd putting in his $.02 on the sessions.

Until I got the dvd, I also thought that Ringo Starr was the drummer on "PEG".

Later,

RxSpur

Reaction score
In Max Weinberg's book "The Big Beat," Purdie also claims to have played on "Cold Sweat," which everyone knows was famously performed by Clyde Stubblefield. BP also says he recorded the Chiffons' hit "He's So Fine," which he says "some other drummer" got credit for. Well, that other drummer was the great Gary Chester, and if you remember that very slick, crisp snare break leading into the bridge, you'll know it was Gary, not Bernard.

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Guys,

You are working backward from current sources. At the time, Becker and Fagen did indeed talk about replacing other drummer's parts entirely with BP's. They also spoke regretfully about some of the work done by drummers we all know and admire.

BP subsequently talked about how hard it was going in after the fact.

Chances of sorting out are probably nil.

Just think of all those parts we thought were done by Mick Avery, the Kinks drummer, or Dave Clark, etc etc, only to have discovered Bobby Graham did them all. Take a look:

http://www.bobbygrah...aham/career.htm

cheers,

Patrick