header.nohb.html

Steer me towards a ride I will like

Saladdaze

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ever consider a custom made cymbal? I had a great experience with Mike Mongiello of Mongiello Cymbals. Give him a call and talk to him about what you’re after. He might be able to help you out.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
20" Sabian ride that works pretty well. It's on the heavy side, which actually I like
Try a Paiste 22 inch 900.
Cheap and decent.

1667233136153.jpeg

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How about a heavy, yet crashable Bosphorus Gold series? Pingy and cutting, but have a nice wash and are surprisingly crashable. The 20” @ 2714g is particularly nice - clean wash, nice ping, nice crash. Bonus - they’re on sale right now for only $175 (20”) and $200 (22”). Crazy good price.

ggmerino

Reaction score
Try the Paiste Dark Energy II 21” ride. I think it just might be right- enough weight and right shape for a high pitch, stick and cut, but enough hammering/complexity/wash to make it a bit jazzy and very crashable.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure what sort of space constraints you are dealing with in performances, but have you considered just adding a dedicated crash to your setup? Heavy bright cutting rides just don’t tend to crash well. You have the sabian that works well as a ride, a thinner old a or paiste 404/505 ride can be found fairly cheap and make great big crashes

If it has to be one cymbal for both roles, I have an old 90’s Sabian HH jazz ride thats pretty bright, and can be cutting with nylon tips, that crashes easy

robthedrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's your list to try so far. These threads are always so helpful. Good luck!

plain old 22" A
20" 70's Black Label Paiste 2002
Bosphorus Wide Ride
Zildjian Take Five Reissue
A Medium Ride
K Ride
K Custom Medium
A Avedis (on the heavier side
20” A custom medium
21 sabian vintage ride
UFIP Rides
22" BL paiste ride
BMW M5
20" A Zildjian crash/ride or lighter medium ride.
20" K Custom Dark Ride
20"-21" Bosphorus traditional ride in the medium thin range
21" Avedis ride
Lol. Yes, it's quite a list. I'll dive into it in next week or so. I do think the BMW M5 might be a bit loud for most of my playing!

GMFrancis

Reaction score
24” Paiste Giant Beat. It’s an amazing cymbal,you can play it quietly or lay into and it keeps its character. Nice defined, silvery ride sound and very full crash. If I had to have only one cymbal this would be it. Great fun to play.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Another vote for a 50s/60s Zildjian A.
I was also going to mention the straight A Custom 20” ride if you really want shimmer.

I would not recommend a Wide Ride, I had one and it was pitched really low for a 20.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think you get a lot more ping with your wash in Paiste. There’s some extra sparkle with the stick.

I love the 24” Giant Beat. Its low wash may prevent it from being the most versatile, but I don’t know. I feel like it always works.

Or the 2002 22” Crash. Absolutely amazing ride. And it crashes. Haha.

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Custom med ride 20"

K Custom Dark 20 or 22

Paiste 602 med. ( pre serial )

UFIP Natural Series ( plus a few rivets)

Sabian Jam Master Garibaldi sig.(plus a few rivets .)

Sabian El Sabor

Paiste Rude " Thin "

Paiste Dimensions Raw Ride ( discontinued , but still out there if you're lucky )

It might be helpful totake a musician friend along when you're hunting , somebody whose experience and ears you respect . Also have them play the cymbal farther away from you , maybe a couple aisles over . Have him/her ride on the cymbal without you knowing which one it is . You might be surprised . Make sure you bring along the weight and tip design of the stick you generally use . Brushes too .

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think medium weight range Zildjians would do well. A or K models, and just stick with the basic stuff, and not the specialty types of rides like dry, etc. pick the size that you like best and go.

If budget is an issue, then pick up a medium vintage Avedis. Many of them sound great and you can always sell and try another.

paul z

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been on the hunt for a long while now and just can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Maybe some of you can point me towards rides I've overlooked. I play a lot of R&B and big band situations, so a cymbal that works in those genres is what I'm looking for. I like a cymbal with a higher pitch, as they tend, to my ears, to cut through the mix a bit better. I also want this cymbal to be crashable. This combo seems to be really hard for me to find.

I also have a 22" Zildjian Staccato ride. They are very hard to find. I finally found one and while it's ok, it's not really heavy enough.

Any insight would be appreciated!

What did you end up with?

I was searching the forum for some information on the staccato ride. In you decide to let that one go please give me a heads up :)

Another suggestion to the thoughtfully curated lis:
Istanbul Mehmet Tony Williams Tribute Ride 22

I have the thinner 60s Version and it‘s my favorite ride. Still with a hand hammered complexity to it but higher in pitch with a clear bell and crashable. There‘s also a heavier model out now chasing his fusion years ride sound (have not tried this one yet). Somewhat along the same line is the Zildjian K Dark Medium Ride 22 (created with Cindy Blackman back in her Zildjian days). This I own and it‘s on the heavier side for me but still very useable.

If I don‘t want to take my precious TW tribute ride out for general purpose I use a Zildjian Avedis 22 (the newer vintage made kind) that has been mentioned before. So also another vote for that. Sidenote the 22 in the series feels lighter under the stick than the 20 for me.

It‘s really though to give advice on the matter because our starting points and taste vary greatly but here are my 2 cents.

robthedrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What did you end up with?

I was searching the forum for some information on the staccato ride. In you decide to let that one go please give me a heads up :)

Another suggestion to the thoughtfully curated lis:
Istanbul Mehmet Tony Williams Tribute Ride 22

I have the thinner 60s Version and it‘s my favorite ride. Still with a hand hammered complexity to it but higher in pitch with a clear bell and crashable. There‘s also a heavier model out now chasing his fusion years ride sound (have not tried this one yet). Somewhat along the same line is the Zildjian K Dark Medium Ride 22 (created with Cindy Blackman back in her Zildjian days). This I own and it‘s on the heavier side for me but still very useable.

If I don‘t want to take my precious TW tribute ride out for general purpose I use a Zildjian Avedis 22 (the newer vintage made kind) that has been mentioned before. So also another vote for that. Sidenote the 22 in the series feels lighter under the stick than the 20 for me.

It‘s really though to give advice on the matter because our starting points and taste vary greatly but here are my 2 cents.
Still looking. To be honest, I was very sick for a while and now my day job has had me buried with deadlines, but I've checked out a few. All nice, but not 'The One' just yet. FYI, if I do let the Staccato go, I'll let you know first. They are hard to find these days. I got it on reverb and with taxes and shipping, mine was 450, so I'd like to break even if possible.

Sergiu

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been on the hunt for a long while now and just can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Maybe some of you can point me towards rides I've overlooked. I play a lot of R&B and big band situations, so a cymbal that works in those genres is what I'm looking for. I like a cymbal with a higher pitch, as they tend, to my ears, to cut through the mix a bit better. I also want this cymbal to be crashable. This combo seems to be really hard for me to find.

I have a 20" Sabian ride that works pretty well. It's on the heavy side, which actually I like, as the weight raises the pitch enough to not get lost in the mix. However, it does not crash well.

I also have a 22" Zildjian Staccato ride. They are very hard to find. I finally found one and while it's ok, it's not really heavy enough.

I also have a couple of Funch rides, a 20" and a 22". While these sound wonderful, they are only really appropriate for small jazz group playing. They are on the thin side and their pitches are pretty low.

I have and use a 21" Bosphorus Turk ride as a great dry 'left side' ride

I am not very familiar with Meinl and the other myriad companies making cymbals. I've owned primarily Sabian, Zildjian, Bosphorus and a few Paiste in the past.

Some of the most interesting cymbals I have played and own are by cymbal smith Kruno Levacic. I haven't heard anyone make cymbals that complex with high pitch on the stick and balanced wash. Check out some of his videos on vimeo or youtube. I have a few 22's original KL's for sale and a few that he reworked for me a 20 and another 22 if you are interested I can send some sound files . I also recommend checking out Dave Collingwood if you haven't already..

robthedrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some of the most interesting cymbals I have played and own are by cymbal smith Kruno Levacic. I haven't heard anyone make cymbals that complex with high pitch on the stick and balanced wash. Check out some of his videos on vimeo or youtube. I have a few 22's original KL's for sale and a few that he reworked for me a 20 and another 22 if you are interested I can send some sound files . I also recommend checking out Dave Collingwood if you haven't already..
Thanks! I'll check out those two makers when I have a bit of time this weekend. Maybe we'll talk after that.

Tom Cat

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 20" Sabian ride that works pretty well. It's on the heavy side, which actually I like, as the weight raises the pitch enough to not get lost in the mix. However, it does not crash well.

I also have a 22" Zildjian Staccato ride. They are very hard to find. I finally found one and while it's ok, it's not really heacravy enough.

I alhso have a couple of Funch rides, a 20" and a 22". While these sound wonderful, they are only really appropriate for small jazz group playing. They are on the thin side and their pitches are pretty low.

I am not very familiar with Meinl and the other myriad companies making cymbals. I've owned primarily Sabian, Zildjian, Bosphorus and a few Paiste in the past.

Paiste as stated your already preferable to a higher pitched cymbal and as already mentioned get 20"BL 2oo2 RIDE will do it 4 ya very versatile and crashable, like you thats been my main prob is findinding a ride that crashable to *my ears* and a 20" signature full ride hit that on all cylinders ext 1 is a Paiste signature dry crisp ride, dis. but this was right upmy alley when i 1st picked it up, very
Hey all,

I also have a couple of Funch rides, a 20" and a 22". While these sound wonderful, they are only really appropriate for small jazz group playing. They are on the thin side and their pitches are pretty low.

Hey all,

our tastes in rides run similar, I love crashable ride but don'tlike like a gongy heavier souding ride, since you prefer a higher pitched cymbal like me Paiste is a natural, as mentioned above a vintage 2ooBL 20"ride is a beautiful sounding extremely versatile cymbal that should be firing on all cylinders 4 ya right out of the chute.
the next i found comparable would be the 20" signaturefull ride, it's a tad heavier but still crashable. the Paiste that is my go to ride is the 20" signature dry crisp ride, it's discontinued but available if you look for it it's the best ride ive run across for crashability and still retain excellent *ride* characteristics* and for R&B it's right there!.. of course these 3 cymbals do it for *my ears*