Step up kit advice

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^
THIS

I don't know who's dissing your exports but they are clueless. The export line has been the workhorse of the Pearl line for decades.
The sound is in the head choices you make.

I agree to have the bearing edges checked to be sure they are solid.
Then maybe buy a couple different heads for you smallest drum and try it out before committing to a whole set of heads. Once you find one you like, you can equip the whole kit.

Also, do some research for the bass head (front and batter) there are a lot of opinions out there as to what works best but only YOU know what will work for YOU .

Also - what redeyeSPR said - put the $$ into the cymbals.

All that being said, You say you've played them for the past 15 years. You know these drums, their hardware, and their reputation pretty well.
You may want to look at the next series up in the Pearl line. There are a lot of choices with wood, sizes and finish available through the Pearl line.

I'd keep the Exports set up as your practice kit and take your next kit for gigs. That will save a lot of time with tearing down to go to gigs and having to set up again when you get home to practice.

Good Luck.
I agree with this as well. There is nothing wrong with Pearl Exports, especially with the music you are playing. I think Exports fit the vibe of your band vs any brand new kit.

I speak from experience as well. I have an old Export 13” power tom that i converted into a floor tom. This drum matches any top-tier brand in my opinion.
If you rewrap, you have tons of cool options vs the limitations of finishes on a new kit. Cut bearing edges will make them sound way better. Add some polyurethane on the inside, and they will last another lifetime.

I say keep you Exports.

klamjamz

Reaction score
So some of you have sparked my interest in revitalizing my Exports. The more I think about it, the more I like it. Sounds like a fun project. I might reassess the new kit purchase when or if this pandemic blows over.

What vendors does everyone use for parts and hardware? What about wraps?