Steve Ferrone 6 1/2 Pearl snare drum

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
I've been yearning for 6 1/2 Ludwig Black Beauty, but man, they're costly. I saw this on Ebay, and it supposedly sounds very similar. I wonder what the reserve is on this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEVE-FERRONE-PEARL-SNARE-DRUM-14-x-6-1-2-BLACK-and-GOLD-BRASS-WITH-GIG-BAG-/181916141826?hash=item2a5b0c0902:g:rJ8AAOSwEetV8Fpo

Anyone playing one of these? If so, how does it compare to a real Black Beauty?

It's probably made in China, which is why it's so cheap. I've seen them at the big discount stores for $349.

I hate to buy Pearl anything. I'd much rather have an American made Black Beauty, but geez, man, this drum is half the price.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I ordered one for a buddy about 5 yrs ago. It was new and on sale for $250. I was very impressed with the quality on arrival, can't go wrong with Pearl snares, the quality and tone are both there in abundance.

kaide

Reaction score
I have the original Pearl Steve Ferrone snare and I think it's pretty good. I compared it to Black Beauty and Pearl had a litle higher fundamental tone. Different rims and shell has a little effect to sound but I didn't buy the black beauty because it was so similar.
I also have Joyful Noise TKO which quite different sound but I think Pearl is good enough for almost anything.
Here's a drum cover I did with Ferrone snare if you want to hear it in action. Ferrone used his signature snare with Petty at least in High Grass Dogs Live at Fillmore live dvd and it sounded great!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
On a related note, I love Steve Ferrone's drumming and style. His drumming on Clapton's 24 Nights had me captivated and playing traditional grip for years. Great drummer.

kaide

Reaction score
stickchopper said:
What would you say the sonic differences are between the Pearl and the JN ?
JN is a lot darker, lower pitched, complex and maybe a little bit louder than Pearl. I think Pearl is easier to tune and get good basic rock sound and it doesn't ring so much.

kaide

Reaction score
Nacci said:
On a related note, I love Steve Ferrone's drumming and style. His drumming on Clapton's 24 Nights had me captivated and playing traditional grip for years. Great drummer.
24 Nights was my first Ferrone LP and after that I bought every record I could get my hands on. I even printed his album credits from Allmusic guide and tried to collect every cd, still missing a few :) GREAT drummer!

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
kaide said:
What would you say the sonic differences are between the Pearl and the JN ?
JN is a lot darker, lower pitched, complex and maybe a little bit louder than Pearl. I think Pearl is easier to tune and get good basic rock sound and it doesn't ring so much.
I recently acquired a JN TKO and fully agree tonally it is more complex than the my Black Beauty - my only other brass snare.

In my opinion, there is no need to spend $700+ on a snare drum to get a great sounding brass snare. No doubt there are tonal differences between makes and models, but there is no absolute rule that dictates the tonal characteristics of an much more expensive snare (or drum in general) necessarily make it more desirable or suitable for a given individual or purpose.

One of my favorite snares is an aluminum Pearl Sensitone I found for around $150.

Also, great playing Kaide - as usual!

kaide

Reaction score
Bob Blackwood said:
Kaide, enjoyed the solid playing and groove. Snare sounded good too, along with the drums and cymbals.
Thank you Bob and zenghost!

jdc

Reaction score
i've had one of the sf pearls for years and i love it! i can't compare it to a bb but i have a number of other brass snares and the pearl is my favorite. it has a rich sound and has a lot of flexibility. the drum sounds great with brushes. when it goes out on gigs, it gets a lot of complements.

if you can get one, it's a great snare and you won't be disappointed.

KeithR3

Reaction score
What heads are you using on the SF snare? Sounds great, thank you for sharing! Love the hi-hat sound!

kaide

Reaction score
KeithR3 said:
What heads are you using on the SF snare? Sounds great, thank you for sharing! Love the hi-hat sound!
Remo CS on top and ambassador bottom. Thanks for checking!

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ferrone has been with Gretsch a few years now. I have no idea if that will drive the price of the old SF snares up, or if Pearl will just reissue it without SF's name.

I've heard the drum live a few times with Nate Morton(drummer for The Voice, Cher, Paul Stanley) and it had that BB "crack" to it. Of course, Nate could play a cereal box and make it sound good, but I discussed that drum with him before a show and he was a big fan of it.

Dan

BNK

Reaction score
Posting on the odd chance someone looking for a Pearl Steve Ferrone Signature snare hasn't seen THIS.

EDIT: Guess they are out of stock, oops

Last edited:

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is the Pearl SF sig snare the regular brass Sensitone shell with different hardware?

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is the Pearl SF sig snare the regular brass Sensitone shell with different hardware?
As far as I know, yes. Rolled/welded brass shell. They DO sound good, but no better than a black magic or worldmax (which are the same specs if not the exact same shell). I think with the Ferrone drums people hear with their eyes a bit because of the gold hardware.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'll go one step further...consider a Vintage Pearl COB snare drum from the 70s-early 80s. They are heavy weight 1.5mm shells and come in either the 5x14 or 6.5x14 size. The 6.5x14 size is just a killer, throaty beast of a drum that is hard to beat sonically at any price. Of course, the 5x14 size is the "Stewart Copeland" drum (add a die cast hoop on top). These drums can be had for much less, they look really cool (heavy chrome plating) and they sound fantastic. I saw one guy that replaced the vintage boxy Pearl Lugs and put tube lugs on his and he said that it really opened up the sound even more. I like my Vintage Pearl COB snare drums much more than a Black Beauty or Pearl Brass Sensitone these days. I find the sound more interesting and complex. The only issue is that they are getting harder to find these days. I somehow ended up with 6-7 of them over the years and just recently sold a couple of them, both to the same guy. He loves them both!

Latest posts