Steve Ferrone 6 1/2 Pearl snare drum

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'll go one step further...consider a Vintage Pearl COB snare drum from the 70s-early 80s. They are heavy weight 1.5mm shells and come in either the 5x14 or 6.5x14 size. The 6.5x14 size is just a killer, throaty beast of a drum that is hard to beat sonically at any price. Of course, the 5x14 size is the "Stewart Copeland" drum (add a die cast hoop on top). These drums can be had for much less, they look really cool (heavy chrome plating) and they sound fantastic. I saw one guy that replaced the vintage boxy Pearl Lugs and put tube lugs on his and he said that it really opened up the sound even more. I like my Vintage Pearl COB snare drums much more than a Black Beauty or Pearl Brass Sensitone these days. I find the sound more interesting and complex. The only issue is that they are getting harder to find these days. I somehow ended up with 6-7 of them over the years and just recently sold a couple of them, both to the same guy. He loves them both!
Even the Pearl welded steel snares from this time period are great. I have a 5x14 that is amazing. It has a lot of character.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just had a look at it. Very nice drum.
Even with 4 broken tube lugs,it still sounds killer but Gretsch wont help!
Titanium coating gives a subdued effect.
Everything on it works great but the lugs!
Ive tried 2 5star shops and Gretsch customer service to no avail,so...i live with it for now,the drum is a great articulate, punchy drum 20200421_140747.jpg

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Even with 4 broken tube lugs,it still sounds killer but Gretsch wont help!
Titanium coating gives a subdued effect.
Everything on it works great but the lugs!
Ive tried 2 5star shops and Gretsch customer service to no avail,so...i live with it for now,the drum is a great articulate, punchy drum View attachment 453688
I don’t see why Gretsch won’t fix the lugs or send you new tubes to put on. Did they give you a good reason or just ignore the request?

That drum does look like it should sound great, but it have to wonder if the sound would be even better with proper lugs.

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
I don’t see why Gretsch won’t fix the lugs or send you new tubes to put on. Did they give you a good reason or just ignore the request?

That drum does look like it should sound great, but it have to wonder if the sound would be even better with proper lugs.
This lug is the same one from the New Classic series. Gretsch told me the lugs are made in Taiwan and are not for sale to the public. Sorry for your experience.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This lug is the same one from the New Classic series.
I remember another thread about these lugs. No, they're not the regular New Classic lugs, which have a solid brass threading. The lugs on Steve Ferrone drum(s) have swivel nut inserts; the hollow build might make them more fragile.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Drummingbulldog and Seb77 are correct, thats what story they gave me.
So, i play it as it is and its got the mojo!
Great snare,just too lazy to find an alternative for the lugs! Lol

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
I saw on another thread that those lugs are on ebay. I personally have not seen them. I'm just going by what I read. My New Classics luckily have never broken. Good luck.