Steve Gadd 1977

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I went to see that band, Saw the same band same players (same drums) around the same time in Boston.
believe they were called Steps. I think Steps featuring Mike Maneri ..
Pauls Mall Jazz workshop (bar)
I was eye level 15 ft away

Last edited:

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Steve Gadd in his prime was a force of nature! i love when he gets real aggressive and disgs in.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
Great stuff!!! That was such a great time for music. I was in my late teens then and was totally immersed in the whole fusion scene. Growing up in a NYC suburb back then was incredible. My friends and I would always be in the city checking out music. I took lessons at Drummer's Collective. Such an awesome time.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What a wild man, thank goodness Freddie Gruber never got ahold of him.
That is Sooooo right on the money!! I feel he kinda ruined Pearl at least to a certain extent--Neil was so great--he didn't NEED to be Philly Joe or Joe Morello!! I don't think Buddy himself would have fared very well in Rush...:/

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
That is Sooooo right on the money!! I feel he kinda ruined Pearl at least to a certain extent--Neil was so great--he didn't NEED to be Philly Joe or Joe Morello!! I don't think Buddy himself would have fared very well in Rush...:/
Perfectly said. I definitely preferred pre-Gruber-Peart and just like some people say that Peart was exposed at Burning for Buddy, I doubt Rich could pull off Tom Sawyer without needlessly “Swinging” it.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Perfectly said. I definitely preferred pre-Gruber-Peart and just like some people say that Peart was exposed at Burning for Buddy, I doubt Rich could pull off Tom Sawyer without needlessly “Swinging” it.
Bingo! And since when is the (very subjective) idea "being able to swing" the be-all and end-all of drumming?? Don Henley swings?? Stewart Copeland swings?? Did Gene "swing" the same as Tony?? Does Charlie or Ringo "swing"? I think it's a bit ridiculous to be honest! Dennis Chambers played like a freight train going thru a brick wall--but did it SWING???? Nonsense....

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
The sound.

It was deep and fat, but 2 headed, with smaller drums. Very different from the Hal Blaine/Porcaro/Kunkel/Philly thing prevalent at the time.

Check out the Leprechaun LP by Chick Corea, Stan Clarke's Journey To Love, Van McCoy's The Hustle, or Airegin with Hubert Laws.

Reactions: JDA

Latest posts