Steve Gadd matched grip?

Syracuse1

Reaction score
This has probably been discussed before but I may have missed it. I'm watching the James Taylor concert and Gadd plays the entire show matched. I wondered if he made the change from traditional to matched due to an arthritic condition in his hands or something. Thanks gang! Dave.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hard to say, but my guess is just a comfort thing when playing backbeats for a long show. I can't imagine two hours of backbeats with trad grip. Trad always felt strange and unnatural to me anyways. To this day, can't get it so I don't work on it.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I believe Jack DeJohnette switched to play matched all of the time a couple of years ago. Matched uses more muscles than traditional. But traditional is way cooler. ; )

J

jaymandude

to the original poster..

If you do a little searching, you'll find some traditional grip players have gone to matched because of hand problems. There's a Dave Weckl quote somewhere about this. Thomas Lang is on the record talking about it. A Jack DeJohnette definitely switched cause of hand issues.

Can't speak for Gadd tho

Pocket Man

Reaction score
In my experience, lots of players simply switch back and forth between one and the other depending on the gig (style of music).

It's like switching between sticks and brushes.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's an age old debate. Most of my favorite backbeat players play matched. Good enough for me. Porcaro, Purdie...

Syracuse1

Reaction score
Thanks gang. I figured you guys would have some info on it. The link was really informative. I didn't know Weckl, Lang and DeJohnette had also made the switch.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can see how traditional grip can cause hand and wrist issues over time, especially with the way music is today. Everything is played with so much more power that ghost notes today are what accents were in the 30's and 40's. That repeated stress from hitting harder and harder and relying on small muscles in your hands and wrists to take that sort of punishment can lead to problems.

I think its safe to say that you should use the best grip for the job. If its a heavy backbeat or high volume type of event, its probably best to stick to matched grip. For lighter, quicker, quieter things, traditional may be better.

No need to stress your joints, ligaments and muscles trying to play traditional grip at a rock show.

712drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Syracuse1 said:
Thanks gang. I figured you guys would have some info on it. The link was really informative. I didn't know Weckl, Lang and DeJohnette had also made the switch.
Weckl didn't switch but Steve Smith and Gadd are mostly matched now but still do some traditional.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Syracuse1 said:
This has probably been discussed before but I may have missed it. I'm watching the James Taylor concert and Gadd plays the entire show matched. I wondered if he made the change from traditional to matched due to an arthritic condition in his hands or something. Thanks gang! Dave.
Steve switches his grip to suit the playing situation he's in. With JT or Clapton, where he's playing a backbeat he plays matched grip. With Chick and his own Steve Gadd Band, he plays mostly traditional grip. There is no arthritis or condition in his hands. He uses the grip that's most efficient for the style of music he's playing at the time.

Kendrum

Reaction score
Johnny D said:
Steve switches his grip to suit the playing situation he's in. With JT or Clapton, where he's playing a backbeat he plays matched grip. With Chick and his own Steve Gadd Band, he plays mostly traditional grip. There is no arthritis or condition in his hands. He uses the grip that's most efficient for the style of music he's playing at the time.
Mic drop!

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pocket Man said:
In my experience, lots of players simply switch back and forth between one and the other depending on the gig (style of music).

It's like switching between sticks and brushes.
Tommy D said:
I can see how traditional grip can cause hand and wrist issues over time, especially with the way music is today. Everything is played with so much more power that ghost notes today are what accents were in the 30's and 40's. That repeated stress from hitting harder and harder and relying on small muscles in your hands and wrists to take that sort of punishment can lead to problems.

I think its safe to say that you should use the best grip for the job. If its a heavy backbeat or high volume type of event, its probably best to stick to matched grip. For lighter, quicker, quieter things, traditional may be better.

No need to stress your joints, ligaments and muscles trying to play traditional grip at a rock show.
Johnny D said:
Good points being made here - the appropriate grip (for the individual player) for use in the appropriate context.

Trad grip doesn't have to be anything in particular (cool and nuanced or anachronistic and non-intuitive for example) to everyone.

One thing we do know, when properly developed and deployed, traditional grip has played a significant role in some of the most influential playing we've seen on the planet.

I swore off traditional grip a couple years ago after playing it for 35 years and having some minor frustrations with hand development. Spent a couple years developing the matched grips (yes, plural), which was a worthy endeavor (definitely simplifies some things having mirrored hands at times). It got to the point where traditional grip started to feel completely alien and odd when practicing, almost like I had never played it before. It was interesting to have that experience and it helped me understand why some have no interest in it.

However, when playing music, traditional grip ultimately reared its head as being very useful/convenient playing in a big band with diverse music. Consequently, I am back to embracing both grip styles and employing each as needed though I have no compulsion to convert anyone to trad grip if they are satisified with matched.

Sonorlite

Forgive him for he knows not what he does.
Reaction score
Half of what Buddy just played was using Matched Grip -with one hand, that probably went over his head... And while saying "you can't do this"........he couldn't left-hand ride with Trad grip.

Billy Cobham & Simon Phillips, anyone...

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Matched grip can also do back-sticking, though it will look different, obviously.

Also, don't forget, traditional grip was originally created to be used for marching drums on over the shoulder slings.
How many people use that?

I swore off traditional grip over 40 years ago, whilst in college, because I realized it was only used for snare drum, nothing else. So, why have a weaker left hand caused by switching back and forth?

J

jaymandude

bigbonzo said:
Matched grip can also do back-sticking, though it will look different, obviously.

Also, don't forget, traditional grip was originally created to be used for marching drums on over the shoulder slings. How many people use that?
It kills me to see these drumlines playing traditional on flat drums because it " looks cool"

What would look cool is if you used the grip in the traditional way, you freaking dolts..