Steve Gadd rehearsing

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mighty fine, no question about it ........

But for me at least, the definitive version of this JT tune has to be the one on the double "Live" CD .......... with the late, great Carlos Vega on drums. Or the one on the "Squibnocket" rehearsal video - same band.

My favorite Gadd stuff is the more "subtle" playing ...... like "Chuck E's in Love" or "50 Ways ..... "

M.

Reaction score
Drumgaget,

You and I were thinking the exact same thing at the same time. I love Steve as much (if not more) than the next guy! And it's really cool to see Gadd working through some ideas. Buuuut.....

These two (below) versions are sheerly magical!!! And although some of the same guys are still in James' band, that band with Cliff Carter, Don Grolnick, Landau, Jimmy, Luis Conte, and Carlos Vega was a LEGENDARY band. That is a special gig, and James isn't the easiest guy to work for.

I've seen James with Gadd a few times, Carlos (as many times as possible,) Kunkel, Rick Marotta (I think?) Jordan, Chad Wackerman, Rick Schlosser, and even on TV with Antonio Sanchez (and Keith Carlock once, I think??) And with all due respect to each of those great drummers, Carlos created the bar for that gig. He consistently created goosebumps throughout those tours. I know Russ and Rick recorded many of those tunes, but Carlos (and the rest of that band) "wrote the book" for playing James' music live.

Check 'em out, and just try not to smile from ear to ear.

And even BETTER, from one of the greatest live records EVER!!!!!

Pocket, groove, musicality, everything. And what a KILLER arrangement!!!

On a related subject, since we are now in the Christmas season, this record is pretty damn perfect. Again, nice arrangements, and Vinnie on most tracks (maybe Gadd on a few) but mostly Vinnie, and the drumming is AMAZING!!!! I would love to hear Vinnie on a James Taylor tour. As much as Vinnie's muscular "Vinnie stuff" gets mentioned, his groove is just infectious and deeeeep.

MSG

Tarkus

Reaction score
Great view, and he is just SO GOOD!!!

Thanks for posting.

Alone those accented kicks (starting around 0:57) - what a punch. And he makes it look so easy ...

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
:scratch: Anyone have any idea what he has on that left Crash cymbal?
At first I thought it was a broken cymbal. Then I thought maybe a shadow from the overhead like on the ride. But watch when he crashes it. There is something ON the cymbal. Almost looks like a big marker stain. :dontknow:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
:scratch: Anyone have any idea what he has on that left Crash cymbal?
At first I thought it was a broken cymbal. Then I thought maybe a shadow from the overhead like on the ride. But watch when he crashes it. There is something ON the cymbal. Almost looks like a big marker stain. :dontknow:

Not to be outdone by Sabian's new "groovy and modern" graphic Logo updates on their cymbals, Zildjian has moved to an even more radical direction and has begun to add the "United Splotch" graphics to theirs. They have taken their Logo and melded it into one very well mixed together "splotch".
It's a representation of how united they are in this very splintered universe.
Kudos to their outside the box thinking.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
watch it after you watch it.. the following day with Volume off and observe his Little Mad Dance..

and those cymbals I thought well "Z Customs"...but no looks like a "K" on most if not all of them and Yes some packing cellophane or something on the left side as Bunny noted

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
watch it after you watch it.. the following day with Volume off and observe his Little Mad Dance..

Thanks for the idea! :thumbright:

I just did that. The FIRST thing I noticed was what I thought was an overhead mic shadow on the ride - WAS NOT! It's another one of those mysterious ink splotches. It moved WITH the cymbal when he hit it in the first few seconds instead of across the cymbal like a shadow would have.

So the mystery ink is on his Left Crash AND the ride! :scratch:

It's just weird that it looks just like an overhead shadow.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Gadd is perhaps the first drummer that really blew my lid off when I was a high school freshman. I watched one of his instructional videos, and it was like a whole new world of drumming and making music. He was doing shuffles, Latin stuff, etc. I still love his ride shuffle with that backbeat. Just fierce.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was really struck by a clinic video I saw and during certain things he would rock back and forth on his throne ..
Yes , I emulated it after that ……
I’ll go try to find it …..

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn’t find it , I used to watch it a lot about 15 years ago ……

I’ve been working hard on some disco and funk lately and just saw this though …

brianb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great video, thanks for sharing. I love the white kit too. I’m pretty excited as I’ve never got to see him play live but will finally get to this Saturday in St. Louis. My old bass player (and good friend) drives the bus that Steve is on and got me tickets for the show. I can’t wait.