Steve Jordan on Jamming with John Mayer, How Not to Play "Soul Man," and More Drum Wisdom

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Delbert McClinton tune.
Musical perfection.
Steve Jordan at his tasteful best.
Dig those intro guitars.
Play it LOUDLY

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great clip. I always thought "Soul Man" in the Blues Brothers movie had the wrong beat and feel. Nice to hear Mr. Jordan fess up to it.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Good stuff, of course the Soul Man beat he describes as 1 and uh 3 on the kick is uh 1 and uh 3 & on the kick.
I learned this beat when the record came out.

Last edited:

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
He's wearing sunglasses indoors. It must be all lies.
Seriously, that was great. Thanks.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know Jordan feels that he was too busy in hindsight, but I must say that the drumming on the first Blues Bros. LP blew me completely away back then. Subtle ghost notes everywhere, and a totally funky feel throughout. The guy blew my mind. And he was so young (21yo, I think). I remember thinking, how did this guy get so good? I was so excited when just a few years later, he was on the Letterman show nightly. Just a helluva drummer.

Here he is killing it again on the Wayne Cochran classic "Goin' Back to Miami" from their 3rd LP: Made in America. I love the little drum break at 2:24.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great clip. I always thought "Soul Man" in the Blues Brothers movie had the wrong beat and feel. Nice to hear Mr. Jordan fess up to it.
That was Willie Hall playing in the movie. He was a good drummer; he'd previously played with The Bar-Kays and Isaac Hayes, but he was no Steve Jordan.

Latest posts