Steve Jordan's Gretsch toms.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Charlie uses 12 and 16...imagine it was those sizes. I’ve seen the footage, and they appeared to be 70s era drums.

Ludwig26

Reaction score
No incorrect &wrong,
Jordan said in his 88/89 MD interview he was given 2 X black nitron Gretsch toms by Watts,
1X 10X12,
1x 14X14 floor Tom,
Curious to know whether or not they're 3 or 6ply.

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well there’s no such thing as a 12x14 RB Gretsch tom.

If they’re black, they’re most likely a 12 & 16, from Charlie’s kit that he used in the early 70’s.

Ludwig26

Reaction score
Didn't say it was a 12x14,
Re-read my thread/post,
10X12 rack Tom,
14X14 floor Tom,
Possibly Gretsch gave them to Watts to use with his own band at the time& NOT for the Stones tour at the time.

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Whoops- my bad. Seriously doubt Charlie would’ve ever owned or played a power depth tom. And on top of that, Steve’s a traditional sized drum guy, too. I think you’re looking for an 8x12 and a 16x16.

supershifter2

DFO Master
Reaction score
I never heard of any Grestch power toms in the 70's. I use to get all the drum catalogs in the 70's. 8x12 was all i ever saw listed. It is possible he had a custom on made. In the early 70's Ian Paice had ludwig make him a 10x16 tom.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Answer is in Steve's remarks. He said the toms came from a kit Gretsch gave to Charlie to use for Charlie Watts Orchestra appearances. This would have been in the mid-late '80s; by then, Gretsch certainly was offering the 10x12.

I believe Steve also DID borrow drums from Charlie's black nitron Stones kit at other times. I recall reading that and the RB pic above seems to depict that. That's a different kit.

So I think we're really talking here about two different black Gretsch kits of Charlie's, both of which were borrowed from by Steve.

In direct answer to the OP's question, you're looking for '80s 6-ply.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
" I'm relieved, I'm not the only one. Who owns a Gretsch 10 x 12."
......................jda
For the longest time I thought I was "
(like a mini-floor tom)

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Answer is in Steve's remarks. He said the toms came from a kit Gretsch gave to Charlie to use for Charlie Watts Orchestra appearances. This would have been in the mid-late '80s; by then, Gretsch certainly was offering the 10x12.

I believe Steve also DID borrow drums from Charlie's black nitron Stones kit at other times. I recall reading that and the RB pic above seems to depict that. That's a different kit.

So I think we're really talking here about two different black Gretsch kits of Charlie's, both of which were borrowed from by Steve.

In direct answer to the OP's question, you're looking for '80s 6-ply.
This sounds correct. Charlie would never and has never used power toms.

FYI - Charlie has two black nitron kits - his 1968 RB (his first Gretsch kit) and his 1972 SSB kit and both have 9x13 toms. His ‘57 RB natural kit has an 8x12.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
We're talking about a 10x12 and Charlie owning some 80s Gretsch drums correct

Is there any video of Jordan using that in the above set
who was he playing with; what year; etc

has a side snare it looks like so can't be too old (fashioned lol