Steve Jordan's snare of choice?

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Anyone know what Steve Jordan was using for a snare when he played live with the Blues Brothers? One of the slickest snares I've ever heard recorded live! Actually the entire album was mixed really well.

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cool... Not much footage of them from back then. His kit looked to be a Slingerland with a small 18 or 20 bass. He's got a pretty quick foot on him!

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I sold Steve a Champagne Sparkle Kent snare...8-9 years ago...along with ..a 18-12-14 Ludwig set....after a Mayer gig here.....Also sold him a 20” 602 before a Clapton gig here..same venue...

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I sold Steve a Champagne Sparkle Kent snare...8-9 years ago...along with ..a 18-12-14 Ludwig set....after a Mayer gig here.....Also sold him a 20” 602 before a Clapton gig here..same venue...
Was that the red sparkle club date I've seen photos of? And I must ask... Was he wearing a cape? LOL!

Reaction score
I interviewed Steve and Artie Smith a while back for the Percussive Arts Society (Jordan) and Not So Modern Drummer (Artie.) Artie and I talked about his gear exclusively for a long time, he knows Jordan's drums better that Steve does.

I don't have access to it right now, as my house is in a shambles because we are having our kitchen completely redone and there is stuff everywhere! I'm sure someone out there has a scan. Anyway, I am going from memory here, but I think the Blues Brothers was before he got the Eames snares.

Steve had an older wood shelled snare (I think it was a Ludwig) that he had cranked so high that it went out of round and the lugs started to pull out, If I remember correctly, that is the drum that he got from Danny Gottlieb, and I think it was WMP!?!? I think the Eames Master 15 ply replaced that drum. All of this is from memory, so it's always possible that I'm wrong.

As an aside, I have one of those Eames Master Model Select, and it's a GREAT drum. I also have an 8" Naturaltone (which were the inspiration for Recording Customs.)

MSG

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Was that the red sparkle club date I've seen photos of? And I must ask... Was he wearing a cape? LOL!
Hi..No..Set was Champagne Sparkle..if I recall correctly...The toms were ClubDate.....BD was SuperClassic...They didn’t offer a 18” in ClubDates..so..who ever had them..bought the SC BD..to get an 18”...

The set,with Steve,was on the cover of a Japanese drum magazine..with detailed pictures/info inside....I have the copy,but,is in my storage unit.......

musicman64

Reaction score
I interviewed Steve and Artie Smith a while back for the Percussive Arts Society (Jordan) and Not So Modern Drummer (Artie.) Artie and I talked about his gear exclusively for a long time, he knows Jordan's drums better that Steve does.

I don't have access to it right now, as my house is in a shambles because we are having our kitchen completely redone and there is stuff everywhere! I'm sure someone out there has a scan. Anyway, I am going from memory here, but I think the Blues Brothers was before he got the Eames snares.

Steve had an older wood shelled snare (I think it was a Ludwig) that he had cranked so high that it went out of round and the lugs started to pull out, If I remember correctly, that is the drum that he got from Danny Gottlieb, and I think it was WMP!?!? I think the Eames Master 15 ply replaced that drum. All of this is from memory, so it's always possible that I'm wrong.

As an aside, I have one of those Eames Master Model Select, and it's a GREAT drum. I also have an 8" Naturaltone (which were the inspiration for Recording Customs.)

MSG
Agree totally..my Eames has always sounded the best..to me at least...never had any complaints..since 1982
P1030609.JPG

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Anyone know what Steve Jordan was using for a snare when he played live with the Blues Brothers? One of the slickest snares I've ever heard recorded live! Actually the entire album was mixed really well.
Briefcase Full Of Blues - such a great album! Killer band and arrangements.