header.nohb.html

Steve Smith Separate Ways

TMDRUMS

Reaction score
Yeah, this is good.

Yeah, this is good.

Unfortunately, I do believe Steve's career is doomed now that he has been fired from Journey! Lol....Just kidding! My wife, who really is a big Journey fan, wanted to see them live a few years ago. So we did. It was a win win situation for me as I got to see Steve perform and low and behold, the warm up band happened to be Asia with Carl Palmer. IMOP, two of the best drummers still breathing air! I still remember watching Steve toy with the simple Journey drum beats meanwhile improving his open hand drum technique on that tour. Truly, a incredible musician! Carl was no hack either! However, would of rather seen him perform on the drum stool with ELP!

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really love this song. The only time I ever saw Smith live was with the “Jazz Explosion” band at Berklee in Boston. Him, Stanley Clarke, Allan Holdsworth, Randy Brecker, and I don’t remember the keyboard player. He had just left Journey and was all smiles.

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really love this song. The only time I ever saw Smith live was with the “Jazz Explosion” band at Berklee in Boston. Him, Stanley Clarke, Allan Holdsworth, Randy Brecker, and I don’t remember the keyboard player. He had just left Journey and was all smiles.
Woah what a lineup! Lucky you

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
So this is a song that... let me preface this, this was my high school era. I was a metal head dirtbag, thrash and anything offensive. I never not liked Journey but they weren't my target band.

Add to this the stupid heavy rotation of this tune and I just turned it off whenever I heard it, never really realizing what a work of art it was.

stevesmithfan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So this is a song that... let me preface this, this was my high school era. I was a metal head dirtbag, thrash and anything offensive. I never not liked Journey but they weren't my target band.

Add to this the stupid heavy rotation of this tune and I just turned it off whenever I heard it, never really realizing what a work of art it was.
Me too the song has ran its course. Always turn off the radio or change the channel when I hear it.

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
C986C2B2-A801-4BA1-B676-6399E21941F8.jpeg
7D2863A3-AE0C-44D6-A98D-BD2F76E9BAAC.jpeg
607B3B60-27FF-46BC-A496-431C46255685.jpeg

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I played 3 journey songs with one of the band I was I not, more classic band and it was great because the keys karts were reality nice. Ok, don't stop believin, with this phasing A. Piano, Anywhere you want it, with the nice B3 Organ Comping and this one with the super riff on synth, Roland Jupiter 8...It was great because during the breaks, they were me and the drums only so, we have to make sure we were on track together, especially because the guitarist had a big tendency to restart on the wrong key and wrong beat!! he was playing them but was saying that non of the songs released in the 80's were good...
That 80's sucked...Well, Journey is really the 80's...

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Whenever I see SS play lately, it always makes me a little sad. His touch has gotten so soft. I know he probably had to lighten up if he wanted to have a long lasting career in drumming, but I really miss the animal!! Here he is playing with some authority!!

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Whenever I see SS play lately, it always makes me a little sad. His touch has gotten so soft. I know he probably had to lighten up if he wanted to have a long lasting career in drumming, but I really miss the animal!! Here he is playing with some authority!!

His grip is totally different. In recent years, he’s been using what I call a pen holder grip with the tips of his fingers. You can’t hit like that with the grip he’s using now.

Notice the huge gap between his thumb and forefinger, on both hands when playing matched. That’s a benchmark that some technique gurus have been advocating for a while. I’m guessing SS probably studied with someone who convinced him to change his grip.

karlcrafton

Reaction score

I watched this Drumeo video too, and, even though I respect and admire the career and dedication to drumming that SS has, watching him play this, it seemed like it was "beneath" him to play some old rock tune he did 20+ years ago. It didn't have any of the guts that he used to have--although.... it could also be the horrible relationship he has with other members of Journey these days....
It wasn't because he was in a room with someone next to the drums and it was loud either, because they've had Tommy Aldridge in there doing the same thing...

No disrespect to Steve intended, it just seemed like he really wasn't into it--but I did like some of the added flourishes he threw in.

Eyedrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I was born, dirt was young! So, I've had the good fortune of seeing Journey play twice back in their prime. Once with Gregg Rolie on keys and the The Babys as the opener. Later when Jonathan Cain replaced Gregg in the lineup. Steve has always been one of my favorite drummers and he is still amazing - a great musician.

Azoth

Reaction score
Yeah, this is good.

When I was around 11-12, I would practice this song on the assortment of basketballs, and soccer balls inflated to the appropriate PSI's, arranged on the side of my bed. Didn't sound the same. If I only had YT back then.

mattr

Reaction score
This is a great 80s song, and a good example of a song that starts off MEGA rocking strong then loses steam… would be perfect as 3.5 minute long song.

Also Steves toms and bass are tuned too high in that Drumeo… that beautiful kit has no oomph!

Enough complaining… think I’m cranky today…

Last edited:

drumflyer

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I do believe Steve's career is doomed now that he has been fired from Journey! Lol....Just kidding! My wife, who really is a big Journey fan, wanted to see them live a few years ago. So we did. It was a win win situation for me as I got to see Steve perform and lo and behold, the warm up band happened to be Asia with Carl Palmer. IMOP, two of the best drummers still breathing air! I still remember watching Steve toy with the simple Journey drum beats meanwhile improving his open hand drum technique on that tour. Truly, an incredible musician! Carl was no hack either! However, would have rather seen him perform on the drum stool with ELP!
I’d probably pass out seeing Steve Smith and Carl Palmer in one night! So much of who I am as a drummer is based on these two guys along with Bonzo and Ringo!!!!