Steve Smith solo for Neil Peart

kallen49

Reaction score
don't think anyone has posted this yet so...

in the comments Steve says "inspired by Neil Peart’s legacy I decided on an odd-time solo in 15/8"
I don't think he was trying to "sound" like N.P.
Just thinking of him.

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think Steve Smith is one of the most accomplished drummers in history.
But , I found that uninteresting etc …
No dynamic interplay , no excitement just blah …….

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think Steve Smith is one of the most accomplished drummers in history.
But , I found that uninteresting etc …
No dynamic interplay , no excitement just blah …….
I had the same takeaway. I really wanted to like it because Smith is one of my favorite players.

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
I knew he knew better than try and sound like Neil , I’m just surprised it wasn’t very impressive…

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fills sound like Caress of Steel. The beat sounds like The Crunge a little.....still nice!

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My take on it: Steve made a video inspired by Neil's playing, and to honor Neil's playing, specifically a few of the time signatures / licks Neil liked to incorporate into his solos / playing. That video also has a lot of where Steve is at with his own playing. I don't think it's meant to be instructional, or an end-all commentary on odd time signatures in fills. Let's not forget that Steve and Neil were contemporaries and mutual fans, and Steve's re-dedication to his craft many years ago inspired Neil, at least in part, to do the same.
Steve basically went from being a great drummer to an incredible drummer. Every time I see him play, I feel like I'm at a clinic. He's a master technician. I wish his recent venture with Journey had worked out better; I was looking forward to seeing him play those songs again.

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My take on it: Steve made a video inspired by Neil's playing, and to honor Neil's playing, specifically a few of the time signatures / licks Neil liked to incorporate into his solos / playing. That video also has a lot of where Steve is at with his own playing. I don't think it's meant to be instructional, or an end-all commentary on odd time signatures in fills. Let's not forget that Steve and Neil were contemporaries and mutual fans, and Steve's re-dedication to his craft many years ago inspired Neil, at least in part, to do the same.
Steve basically went from being a great drummer to an incredible drummer. Every time I see him play, I feel like I'm at a clinic. He's a master technician. I wish his recent venture with Journey had worked out better; I was looking forward to seeing him play those songs again.
I never saw Journey “back in the day” but saw them a couple of times with their newer lineup. When I heard Smith had rejoined them I was on a mission to see them live and was able to in 2016 and 2017. Those days are unfortunately over but it completed a 30 year quest to see Smith play with Journey.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Like others have said, I LOVE Steve. I posted a video yesterday with him and Victor Wooten that was incredible. BUT, this one left me cold. The sound was bad. It's probably my least favorite SS video and to be honest, I've never really seen one I didn't love. I'm not sure what he was going for. Sure, I couldn't play .05% of the stuff he can, but still, why put it out there?